Okra, My Nemesis

Options
124»

Replies

• tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Over cooked okra=snot.

Make sure you're cooking it (in whatever recipe you try) al dente. My preferred okra intake is via Gumbo. But it's added in only at the end! What about trying a "fried" alternative? Dip the okra pieces into well seasoned panko bread crumbs and bake just until crispy on the outide?
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to eat something you don't like?
    I love Okra. Why are you making yourself eat things you don't love?

Couple of reasons.

- I don't liking having certain foods that I won't eat. I can only fix that issue by trying different preparations of those foods. I don't know that I don't like all okra, as I haven't had it many ways. I know that I don't like how my mom made it. I know that I don't like how it tastes after sitting on a buffet all afternoon. I don't know if I like it roasted. I don't know if I like it in a stew/gumbo. Etc.

- I like to push myself to try new things.

- I want to expand my vegetable repertoire.

- Because trying things is good for the soul.

- Because having Eww Foods makes me feel like a picky food diva.
    Are you doing this on a dare?

Nothing more than me daring myself to push my boundaries and explore different things.

I'm gonna try oven fried, roasted, and that Indian dish once I find some okra in the store. Thanks so, so much for all the ideas!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I LOVE okra! Probably one of my favourite veggies (or non-sweet fruits...whatever....) I first had it in my 20s when I visited a friend down South, and yes--she cooked it fried with the cornmeal batter. And that is definitely my favourite way to eat it! YUM! But I've also put it in soups, stirfrys, and other random things I've thrown together. I like it anyway.