Giving it a shot.

Options
Well...where to start... I'm a freshman in college. I'm a 5'8" 220lb male and I'm trying not to fall into the trap that has caught so many already. Thankfully I'm in college so I walk a few miles to/from class every day. My current goal is 170, but if I'm lucky enough to get near it I plan on lowering that even more. Losing 50 pounds as a 19 year old seems a little intimidating, but I tend to stick with the things I start so hopefully this will all work out for me. I've had some problems in my past with depression and things like that which most likely stemmed from my low self esteem due to my image. I've made the mistake in the past to just lay around and accept things as they are. But last week I came to an important realization: I'm still young. I can still change who I am with hopefully relative ease. Anyways, I've been laying in bed for far too long... It's time to change while i still can.

Replies

• shanna618
    shanna618 Posts: 21
    Options
    Welcome! I started this only 10 days ago...and the people are great and really keep you motivated to stick to your goals! Good Luck!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Welcome and way to go! I TRULY wish that I had the intelligence in this area that you are showing when I was 19!

This site is great. When you come upon something that you don't understand, or that you have questions about, check out the "pinned" posts at the top of the "General Diet and Weightloss" board. They have TONS of great information as well as links to LOTS more GREAT information! In those posts you will find LOTS of great stuff from "Banks" and "SHBoss," as well as a BUNCH of other really well informed people. The one that I currently find myself referring back to frequently is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/79181-dogmeat-s-thoughts-on-weight-loss
    Even though I've read tons of other GREAT posts, this one "hit home" for me more than the others for some reason.

Congrats on being such an intelligent young man. I wish you all the strength and determination you need to succeed!
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Good for you!!!! I'm 20 and a sophomore... Keep one thing in mind, with the chaos of school, remember to take care of yourself! Eat right, be active and be happy! You are doing something great already.. you are in college! It is an accomplishment! Always remember there's always someone out there with more to lose. I'm 20 and I'm down 50 lbs with 50 to go. We can both do this! I have also suffered from depression, anxiety and panic disorders. One thing I have learned, is once the weight starts coming off, you will have a more positive image.. I am completely off my Zoloft and I am such a happy person.. I have my days as everyone does.. but my mood swings aren't as severe.. I know how to control it. It is such a wonderful feeling to have control of myself.. You will feel the same soon enough! Good luck
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    Do yourself the biggest favor in the world and start now! I knew I had a slight weight problem at 19, but figured I would change it someday..........well I ended up gaining about 7 lbs a year since then. Needless to say..........10 years later I was about 100 lbs overweight! I've lost most of it and I'm actually only 7 lbs more than what I weighed exactly 10 years ago............Life would have been so much easier if I would have got serious about my weight 10 years ago. Now I'm almost 30 and I feel like most of my 20's were "lost" because I was overweight.