Single people/people living on their own

Options
What does your weekly/monthly grocery shop look like? How much does it cost you? a:drinker:

Replies

• errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually spend around $100-$150/month on groceries. I try to stock up on things I like when they're on sale and freeze them until needed. And I make a meal big enough for 4-6 people and freeze portions or eat leftovers for like, 6 days.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I probable spend about $160 a month. It's been a challenge for me because I really am not a fan of leftovers - I just get too bored. I'm getting better at making batches of stuff I can freeze, though and luckily my place has a pretty big freezer!
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I usually spend around $100-$150/month on groceries. I try to stock up on things I like when they're on sale and freeze them until needed. And I make a meal big enough for 4-6 people and freeze portions or eat leftovers for like, 6 days.

I do the same but I eat out lunch a lot..

I make sure to bring breakfast with me everyday and snacks.
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Honestly couldn't tell you. I don't keep a track of what I spend (bad) and I eat out a fair bit .... but that's going to change!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I budget $200 for food and include any kind of eating out into that budget (which quickly curbed my eating out, which is good). I buy whole chickens and cook them one night to eat the rest of the week. I buy frozen veggies sometimes and make a big batch, season everything, and then pair with different meats throughout the week. I also buy on sale and freeze other things. Making casserole-type dishes help because you can have a meal for a few days instead of one sitting.

ETA: that's 200 for a month.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Depends what you count as groceries. Groceries: $20 a week. Just food in general: $200-400 a week, not including nice restaurants (just fast food and lunch type restaurants). More if I go out to a nice dinner or lunch or get drinks. I rarely cook.

Don't do what I do!
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I spend so much money on food, it is stupid!

I go once a week and spend anywhere from $50-$120... and then there is coffee and snacks that I buy out. So much money! I waste very little though. AND I live in Canada... prices are always a little higher here. I'm also not technically single. I have a husband but he is only home 10 days a month... I suppose some of the extra money is spent on food he eats.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    On the way home I usually pick up half chicken dinner which includes half chicken BBQ or rotisserie LOL and two sides either salad or veggies with rice or roasted potatoes. I also get a dessert. This costs me about $70-80 a week. I believe that if your single and living on your own you shouldnt have to cook or prep as long as it fits your lifestyle.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Grocery stores here have awesome healthy fresh take out!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    for home about $200/ month.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have cut down my eating out budget. I try to spend less that 50 eating out. My monthly grocery budget is around 200. I do the same as many others I usually make meals that serve 4 so I'll make something like pasta on Sunday (I have frozen turkey meatballs) to toss in the past then on Monday I'll back some chicken and steam some rice and veggies. Then tuesday, wed, thru, friday I have either pasta with turkey meatballs or chicken and rice for dinner...boring I know but you can keep your costs low if you use coupons and plan ahead.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I'm freshly back in the single world...For now, I won't need to do a full grocery for the next 3 weeks, so much food left...but i'm pretty sure it won't cost me 500$ a month like it use to.

As far as food prep, I like to prepare big batches and freeze them to eat later when I don't feel like cooking.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    ugh. i don't cook. i do a lot of toastering and toaster ovening and frozen meals. those frozen meals can get expensive too. I've no idea how much I spend a month - i'm really bad with budgeting too :ohwell: something i definitely need to work on.

ETA: and then there's always the ginormous coffee i have to get every morning on the way to work to keep me awake until lunchtime..
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I spend around 200 a month. I do freeze lots of things.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Under $50 a week.
  • thephysiquemechanic
    Options
    Lmao well since im bulking and live on my own, i spend around 150$ a week on groceries and supplies. Lmao i wish i spent what most of you spent.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Low carb is expensive. If I'm really lucky I spend $50 a week but usually it's over $60.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    About $100-150 a week - but I live in Australia and everything's expensive here. And that doesn't include eating out, that's just from the grocery store.

I buy fresh fruit and salad and fresh bread from the bakery more or less every day. Between that and the low fat/low carb groceries I buy, it adds up very quickly.
  • m8605
    m8605 Posts: 102
    Options
    Not living on my own, but I'd imagine it'd be under $200/month for groceries. I go out about every friday or so and pick up $20-$30 worth of food (ideally)

My band mates also tend to go out to a bar/grill two nights a week at no more than $20 spent and then say $5-$10 for eating out one to two days a week at campus if I really wanted to (its 40 minutes away from home)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I spend between $100-$125 on groceries a month.