Hi, i would like some jogging buddies.

Options
2»

Replies

• Lsteedly85
    Lsteedly85 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My first half is next week. Would love some more running buddies as well, several more races lined up this year and the motivation to tie up the sneakers isn't always there.. until I see everyone else kickin' butt on the feeds and then the spark comes!
  • working_mommy
    Options
    add me! I started running (well running is probably too strong of a word, more like jogging) last month. I am up to 3 miles comfortably and Sunday I go to 4. If you had told me 2 months ago that I could jog 3 miles no problem I would have laughed in your face (and probably pointed too). I'm in a lottery for a 10 mile run this May - I find out Tuesday if I'm in or not.
  • rgrstetson
    rgrstetson Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    C25K is actually a very solid plan to get you moving. What many find is that once they get moving they have a difficult time getting faster. There are so many ways to do this, but first and foremost the key is to not get too spun up about speed once you are running. Focus on volume, and here is why. Physiologically your nervous system and soft tissues adapt very quickly, hence the reason you are able to make such excellent progress with any new program within the first couple weeks. The low intensity allows your muscles to increase vascularity and thus enhances your oxygen delivery system which makes for improved circulation, better nutrient and oxygen delivery, which also leads to more burn for your buck when you run.

Here is the WHY of why you need to stay slow. It takes 8 months for your bones to BEGIN to catch up to the adaptations your soft tissue made in the first 4 to 8 weeks of training. Without the bone density to back the training up the recipe is all types of stress related issues varying from stress fractures to possible breaks of the metatarsals of the feet. By going slow and not focusing on speed you allow your bones to catch up and improve the overall efficiency of your stride which...as you add volume (this is the magic bullet) you will inherently become naturally faster. When you "graduate" from C25K you can turn to the Maffetone Method or the Hadd post to get more in the weeds on low(er) intensity high(er) volume training.

When I prescribe training for people I take the first 20 weeks and focus solely on volume. I will toss in an mix of "turnover" runs but nothing that will overstress the body, and those turnover runs are not given until 6 weeks in. Vary you HR range that you train at. Maybe 45 minutes at a 140-145 average HR...if it is a walk, so what? A mile is a mile and it burns the same amount regardless. We need to get your body ready to deal with runs that will provide the after burn. Make sure a couple runs are done at 150-155 AHR, throw in a short one at 160...but do NOT go above 165 at all in your program for the first 20 weeks.

Speed is awesome, but it is also a recipe for injury. This is all about quality of life and making sure you can do it with your great, great, great grandbabies...volume matters.
  • rgrstetson
    rgrstetson Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    BTW, I am more than willing to work one on one with anyone that wants it. Please feel free to PM me. No fees, only friendship.
  • janey2607
    janey2607 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add, my second half is in 2 weeks after being a complete non runner 18 months ago