Obese and running for weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about C25K. It sounds like ''fun'' but the fact that I'm morbidly obese puts me off of doing it right now. :\ I'll continue to think about it in the future though, for when I'm more comfortable to jog/run in public.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about C25K. It sounds like ''fun'' but the fact that I'm morbidly obese puts me off of doing it right now. :\ I'll continue to think about it in the future though, for when I'm more comfortable to jog/run in public.

I am most likely more morbidly obese than you and given a functioning knee I would run like the (very slow) wind. Don't talk yourself out of something you might love.
  • badmojo108
    Options
    I misread the original post, my apologies.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 16 pounds with Running.First I started with Walking with about 167 pounds and Jogging and then Running.It has taken me around 1 and a half months to run consistently for about 30 mins.I run every alternate day.I am longing for more.Please start it slow and its a great exercise.You are doing great.Keeping track of food is also very important.All the best!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if she is still on here but there used to be a larger girl who was running 5K.I think she was over 300lbs such an inspiration
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I was never any good at running at school. I was always the one at the back of the cross country race struggling with my breathing and a stitch in my side. I started running in Summer 2011 after reading the forums here on MFP. I started Couch to 5k and have not looked back since. It was very hard at first and I had to have two tries at completing the program but it is so worth it! I ran my first 10k last summer and it was one of the biggest achievements of my life. This may sound over the top but I never thought i would do something like that and nobody can take that medal away from me! And running makes me feel great! I have lost over 40lbs now and am still working on my running. It isn't always easy to keep running regularly but I always come back to it and I think it is something I will do for the rest of my life :)
  • zeeyahsubhan
    Options
    whats a couch to 5k
  • borom44
    borom44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi

Started running at 276lb in Mid Jan 2010

Completed my first 10K 09/04/2010 in 1:04:49 mapped by run keeper. Completed my last June 2010 57:04 (This was coupled with a Weight Watchers diet, which up to May 2010 I had shed 75lb starting Jan 2010.) before the Knee problems hit, had to stop running following doctors advice 18 months later put 64lb back. Started again Jan as I have signed up for a coast to coast cycle challenge in July, change of exercise but results are coming and fitness has improved loads

Only advice would be make sure you invest in decent running shoes, if you detect problems with you knees seek medical advice. Good Luck
  • KKabo
    KKabo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! This really helped! bought some running shoes and will be starting on monday!