BMR and TDEE confusion...

There is a ton of space between my BMR and TDEE and I feel like I should be eating closer to my BMR rather than my TDEE (stats and numbers below). According to IPOARM I should eat at 2000 cals (a 15% cut from TDEE) but would it be bad to eat less, say 1400ish if I'm still above my BMR? Thoughts or opinions?

Also, I don't get why my BMR is so low in the first place and is that a "good" thing or should I be doing something to raise it? Or even... lower it?

Also, theoretically, since my maintenance cals at my goals is lower than my current TDEE, couldn't I just eat at that level forever and when I reach my goals my body would just stop losing? I don't exactly want to do that, it'd be slower going.... It just seems confusing though to have the option to eat at goal maintenance and then... well, just keep doing that, I guess.

Height: 5'1" (goal: 5'3".... just kidding, I wish)
Weight: 120 (goal: 105)
Body Fat: 20% (goal: 18.5)
BMR: 1250.
TDEE: 2400.
Maintenance Cals at Goal: 2050

Any advice would be appreciated! Let me know if you need more info... Thanks

Replies

• mad00had00
    mad00had00 Posts: 103 Member
    I had the same question today..so I decided to set my BMR on mfp and only eat more on the days I work out. So say I did cardio today so Id eat my BMR + 1/2 my exercise calories.

The day I dont do cardio I'd eat 1800 (which is a bit above my BMR). This way I wont over/under eat.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    I really want to just eat my BMR and call it good.... WHY IS YOUR BMR SO MUCH HIGHER THAN MINE THOUGH! lol
  • mad00had00
    mad00had00 Posts: 103 Member
    I really want to just eat my BMR and call it good.... WHY IS YOUR BMR SO MUCH HIGHER THAN MINE THOUGH! lol

gender, weight, height etc
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Your BMR is low because you are light. The heavier you are, the higher it is. It is not a 'bad' thing to have it low, but it does mean you maintain on less food the lower it is and therefore have a more challenge to not gain weight. The way to increase it is to increase LBM.

The 15% cut is reasonable based on how much you have to lose - but how are your getting your TDEE? How much activity are you doing?

Eating at 1,400, if you really do have a 2,400 TDEE will mean a 1,000 deficit:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Your BMR sounds about right for your height and weight, but your TDEE seems awfully high. How did you calculate it? For reference, I'm the same height with appx the same LBM as you, although I'm 136lbs with 30% BF -- about 94 lbs LBM, which makes our BMR pretty close, but my TDEE is only around 1700 per day. Do you have a physical job as well as long workouts?
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    I'd say your BMR is about 1350 based on your height, weight and age
  • BMR, LBM, TDEE and anything else, I am confused. new to forums as have only ever used my MFP on the iPad app. What do all these mean? Is there something I can read?
    Yep, I am lost,!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    BMR, LBM, TDEE and anything else, I am confused. new to forums as have only ever used my MFP on the iPad app. What do all these mean? Is there something I can read?
    Yep, I am lost,!

This should help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    BMR, LBM, TDEE and anything else, I am confused. new to forums as have only ever used my MFP on the iPad app. What do all these mean? Is there something I can read?
    Yep, I am lost,!
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html
  • Thanks guys.
    Shall start reading
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Yep, I am lost,!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Your BMR sounds about right for your height and weight, but your TDEE seems awfully high. How did you calculate it? For reference, I'm the same height with appx the same LBM as you, although I'm 136lbs with 30% BF -- about 94 lbs LBM, which makes our BMR pretty close, but my TDEE is only around 1700 per day. Do you have a physical job as well as long workouts?

It actually doesn't seem that high. I'm almost 10 yrs older and lighter than her and my TDEE is 2300 to maintain. Your age, activity level, BF% all play a role in calculations.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    How is your BMR that low and TDEE that high? Do you run marathons every day? Having a TDEE that's double your BMR is basically off the charts active; the top end of the Harris Benedict equation is 1.9 times BMR, and that's for an extremely active job and several intense workouts a day. Like a construction worker who works out before and after work every day.

My guess is there is something wrong with your math somewhere.
  • HMVOL7409
    How is your BMR that low and TDEE that high? Do you run marathons every day? Having a TDEE that's double your BMR is basically off the charts active; the top end of the Harris Benedict equation is 1.9 times BMR, and that's for an extremely active job and several intense workouts a day. Like a construction worker who works out before and after work every day.

My guess is there is something wrong with your math somewhere.

Her TDEE is somewhat correct, it's her BMR that's way off. I think it boils down to math error and a gross misinterpretation of what these numbers mean. I mean really, who wants a lower BMR? You want to burn more calories at rest, not less! :)

OP: It would be wise to read the links Sara provided for you so that you can fully understand what this all means and to find the correct numbers for you.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Her TDEE is somewhat correct, it's her BMR that's way off.

Her BMR is right on actually.

Katch-Mcardle BMR Formula: BMR = 370 + (21.6 x Lean Body Mass(kg) )

LBM= 120 - (0.2 * 120) = 96 lbs = 43.64 kg

BMR= 370 + (21.6*43.64) = 1313 kcal/day
  • HMVOL7409
    Her TDEE is somewhat correct, it's her BMR that's way off.

Her BMR is right on actually.

Katch-Mcardle BMR Formula: BMR = 370 + (21.6 x Lean Body Mass(kg) )

LBM= 120 - (0.2 * 120) = 96 lbs = 43.64 kg

BMR= 370 + (21.6*43.64) = 1310 kcal/day

Could be; if she's had that tested to prove what her BF and LBM is. Most on here "guess" or use a very inaccurate source and tend to be off. You are also trying to compare your numbers with someone 30 yrs younger than you. You should know your numbers are not going to be the same as hers. It seems many seem to miss the age thing here and focus on weight and height only.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Entered information: 24 year old female, 61 inches tall, weighing 120 pounds, BMI of 22.7 (Normal weight).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 105 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1351 calories.

Activity Level / Calories

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job)

Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)

Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)

Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    I'm another who thinks the BMR sounds fine (she's short people!) but that the TDEE sounds really high. I'm taller and fatter and mind is only around 1800 despite being what I'd call "normal active".
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Thank you for the feedback.

First, to answer some questions, I have these numbers from the IPOARM and also using another website to verify. I originally thought my TDEE was off, as well so I wore my HRM for 24 hours on 4 different days and it averaged close to what IPOARM gave me (it was actually 50 or some cals higher, hah). I'm not entirely sure WHY this is, I'm not a construction worker or anything. I do have hard workouts (800-1600 cals in 1-3 hrs / day) regularly, so that must be what bumps it up.

Next, I THINK the consensus is that I need to gain LBM to raise my BMR and to do that I shouldn't cut below 20% of my TDEE? Still a bit fuzzy on this point...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    You can't raise your LBM while cutting calories. That's like trying to fill a bucket of water by taking the water out of it. To raise LBM you need to eat at a calorie surplus, and concentrate on strength training.

Also, your calorie burns through exercise seem extremely high, I'm a male that weighs significantly more than you, with higher LBM, and don't burn near that much working out. Also, HRM's are not accurate when worn all day, they are ONLY accurate for steady state aerobic activity.