what meats to avoid?

SassySarah83
SassySarah83 Posts: 3 Member
What meats should i avoid? I'm thinking sausage and bratwurst are pretty bad, but maybe i'm wrong?

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    What meats should i avoid? I'm thinking sausage and bratwurst are pretty bad, but maybe i'm wrong?
    I'm offended you would even suggest bratwurst is "bad". I don't avoid any meats, or foods in general. I just make sure I eat things in moderation and I stay within my calorie deficit.

ETA: Offended because bratwurst is like magic in my mouth!
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member

I think hotdogs are something to avoid if trying to lose weight. Otherwise I would stick to lean meats (white meats) primarily for weight loss. And avoid processed meats
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Unless you don't think you have the willpower to limit your portions I don't think you should feel the need to avoid any meats. But that's just my opinion.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Souse and blood sausage, but only because I think they're disgusting.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    i would suggest avoiding meats you dont like.
    all others are fair game.
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    It all depends on what your goals are, if your looking for "healthier" meats I would avoid meats that are higher in sodium and meats that have more fat. Personally, I eat lean meats and fish like chicken and salmon. Im not a huge meat person in general so I dont mind giving up other meats, but if you really dont want to give up certain meats there are ways to cook meats that make them a bit healthier...like cut off any fat that you see before cooking meat, grill/bake your meat (grill presses are good for pressing the fat out), and pay attention to the sauces and condiments you use.
  • If you want to be successful (long term) in losing weight and maintaining, you have to be able to eat what you like. That's not to say that you should eat a whole package of sausage in one sitting. What I've done is looked for better for you types of typically bad foods. For example, my husband loves Italian sausage cooked in sauce with onions and peppers. I've started buying turkey sausage. I had to try a few different brands to find one that we liked and I noticed that you have to pay very close attention to the calorie count because two different brands of turkey sausages can have vastly different calorie counts and fat content.
    I use this approach for all meats that I can. Sometimes though, there is not better for you version of a favorite food. In that instance, we just eat the regular meat in a smaller quantity, trimming off all visible fat, and I preplan and make allowances for the excess of calories in that meat. We might eat delmonico steaks but instead of eating a whole one, we'll eat half each and suplement it with sauted mushrooms (sauted in non-stick spray for avoid further calories) and roasted or mashed cauliflower instead of baked potatoes loaded with butter.
    Good luck!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    There is no need to avoid any foods except for medical issues.

I do not eat meat or anything containing any form of meat but that is my personal choice. Unless you either have an ethical, environmental or medical issue with meats (or any foods) there is no need to cut them out of your diet.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member

I think hotdogs are something to avoid if trying to lose weight. Otherwise I would stick to lean meats (white meats) primarily for weight loss. And avoid processed meats

Why avoid hotdogs for weight loss purposes? They are relatively low calorie. They are however filled with a lot of crap but they will not impact weight loss unless you go overboard on them.

OP, of course lean meats are always best... but eat what you want.