Olives, why so darn salty. Uuuugh!!!

Options
Is there any way to remove the saltiness of olives? I want to eat them but can only eat 1-2 before I start feeling queezy due to the saltiness. Can I drain off the brine and replace with olive oil instead?

Replies

• MrNoisy
    MrNoisy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Olives themselves aren't super salty. It's the brine it's preserved in. Brine is pretty much salt water.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes I know. I wanted to know how I can get rid of the saltiness without compromising the olives. Thanks!
  • Loula124
    Loula124 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'd try putting them in a sieve giving them a rinse in some cold water and then putting them back in the jar with some oil.
  • Loula124
    Loula124 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So yeah, what you said!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Not all olives are in the same salty brine. At a couple local grocery stores, there are salad bar type areas where you can get different kinds of olives. Try others!

To decrease saltiness, you could soak them for a while in fresh water. Like overnight. Then replace the water with clean water, and let them soak some more.

But really, I suggest trying other olives.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You got me thinking because I love olives, but rarely eat them because of the saltiness, so I found this:

You want to make sure that they are less salty and we're going to drain the brine off of the olives, just take it right off and then what we want to do is once all the brine is drained, we want to put them in a bowl of water and you want to change this water, I do every hour until once you taste the olive it no longer tastes salty. By soaking them in water and changing the water every hour, this will work on any type of olive that you have, whether they're salt cured or they're brine cured. This is my version of how to take the salt out of your olives. I'm Mary Beth

Read more: Video: How to Make Olives Less Salty | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/video_12239030_make-olives-less-salty.html#ixzz2L5u7rOZf