BMR and calorie count?

Options
I have been using MFP for 9 days now and have lost 7 lbs. I'm not exercising at all yet. I keep telling myself that I will start soon.

But if I am understanding correctly, the daily caloric intake should be higher that the BMR? My BMR is 1380 but MFP recommends 1200 calories per day and I have been under that most days. Since I have been losing, should I continue this amount or is this really not healthy? Should I kick it up a bit to about 1400?

Replies

• vickilg
    vickilg Posts: 11
    Options
    I have been using MFP for 9 days now and have lost 7 lbs. I'm not exercising at all yet. I keep telling myself that I will start soon.

But if I am understanding correctly, the daily caloric intake should be higher that the BMR? My BMR is 1380 but MFP recommends 1200 calories per day and I have been under that most days. Since I have been losing, should I continue this amount or is this really not healthy? Should I kick it up a bit to about 1400?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your weight loss seems drastic. Did you set it up to lose 1 lb a week?
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    there was a thread about this, but I cant find it, I dont think you have anything to worry about as long as you are not eating half or less than your bmr, if your bmr is 1600 for example, dont eat 800 or less calories, b/c you will be in starvation mode, as long as your cal intake and bmr are close than you should be fine, and if you are losing it must be fine b/c otherwise your body wouldve started holding onto calories:wink:
  • vickilg
    Options
    Thanks for the help -

I set up for 2 lb per week weight loss. So what seems backwards to me is that if the weight loss slows down, I should increase my calories. My instinct would be to decrease them. Right?

This all is too much work! I have such a hard time trying to figure out what to eat. I am over my protein amount every day. Does it become easier with time?
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    here is a thread I posted about this not too long ago, and there is alink in the middle of it to another thread about it, hope it helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Pom_love_2
    Options

Thank you for finding this:flowerforyou: , the response to my post of the same topic wasn't very helpful and I was very confused. I guess I don't know how to ask questions.

I was so lucky that vickilg asked as well.
  • vickilg
    Options
    Thanks so much for that previous post :flowerforyou:

Confession: I had spaghetti and meatballs (turkey) with italian bread with butter for dinner and it was GOOD!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    there was a thread about this, but I cant find it, I dont think you have anything to worry about as long as you are not eating half or less than your bmr, if your bmr is 1600 for example, dont eat 800 or less calories, b/c you will be in starvation mode, as long as your cal intake and bmr are close than you should be fine, and if you are losing it must be fine b/c otherwise your body wouldve started holding onto calories:wink:

not 1/2. your bmr should be at or near your lowest point for loosing weight. If you are obese you can usually go 100 or so lower then it, sometimes 200 if you have a BMI of over 32, but once the BMI get's down below 28 or so, you should be eating at or above your BMR minimum, that's not including exercise calories, which you should also be eating.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    you have probably lost a good deal of water weight... it might even out in the next few weeks but if it doesn't, WTG... 9 lbs is great :wink: