How To Add Protein to My Diet - Suggestions?

Options
Had my annual physical today and my Dr. told me that while I am overall in excellent shape, my blood protein level was a little on the low side and I probably need to increase my protein intake. I eat relatively little meat (usually 1 serving of fish or chicken 4 - 5 times/week), lots of mostly low-fat dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt), fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts & seeds, etc. So I am wondering the best way to add some protein to my diet without adding a lot of extra empty calories, fat etc. Wondering about adding some protein powder to my yogurt, cereal, salads, etc? Any suggestions on the best way to add protein without adding a lot of unwanted calories, fat, sugar, etc?

Replies

• ultraplop
    Options
    I would just experiment with the protein powder if I was you. There are a lot of recipes out there, many of which I think are horrible, my favorite is protein powder pancakes, but you should try a few and see if you like it. Also try a few different protein powders some of them are better than others.

If you don't eat meat, then maybe try edamame and other soy based products such as tofu.
  • CovaJoser
    Options
    Legumes, protein powder, cottage cheese.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Protein powder + yoghurt + berries + nuts.
    = Heaven.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue because I'm not a big fan of meat. Is protein powder a healthy thing?
  • Low protein will ultimately affect hair, skin, and carrying capacity of blood to retain iron. Haemoglobin = Protein+Iron. There is little escape from this then. You may include protein in every meal or snack - starting with egg whites for brekkie, moong beans for lunch and piece of roast chicken for dinner. Also you may include low fat yogurt as a snack option. All this will give you good amount of protein. We need 1g per kilogram of body weight on a daily basis. Hope this helps! :))
  • pinkymac11
    Options
    I drink the Weight Watchers protein drinks & add fruit, mostly banana, to them for thickening. 10 g protein & 5 g sugar per packet. They come in vanilla & chocolate, & each box comes with recipes.
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I eat tempeh almost every day. It's a soy based plant protein with 13g protein per serving! I crumble it with spices to make tempeh tacos or just stir-fry with some broccoli.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Eggs (specifically egg whites) are a great source of protein/per calorie. I eat a 4 egg white + 2 egg (w/yolk) scramble every day. That's about 28 grams of protein for 220 calories. If you want to go with a protein shake, I just posted the below in other topic, lol.

Syntrax Matrix 5.0 Whey Protein Shakes
    http://www.si03.com/reg_index.htm

When I started with my personal trainer last year, she put me on these shakes. I think they taste pretty good, especially for a whey protein shake without adding a bunch of sugar or fat. She chose these because this is what a doctor would give bariatric patients. It contains sustained release protein and comes in a variety of flavors. I like the Orange Cream (if you like orange creamsicle) to start with, but they have plenty of choices: Banana Cream, Cookies and Cream, Creamy Vanilla, Milk Chocolate, Mint Cookie, Strawberry Cream, Perfect Chocolate, and Simply Vanilla. Syntrax also has a version called Nectar that is a quick (rather than sustained) release protein, but has more of a fruit or sweet flavor.

Each scoop contains about (varies slightly per flavor):
    23 grams of Protein
    1.5 grams of Fat
    2 grams of Carbohydrates
    2 grams of Sugar
    120 Calories

You want to take them before or after your workout, or as a meal replacement snack.

You can buy them at Vitamin Shoppe (not Cottage) or online. I pay about $45 for a 5lb bag that should last about a month (to 6 weeks depending on number of scoops) if taken twice a day every day. If you go to Vitamin Shoppe you can usually get either free or $2 sample packs of the different shakes to try.

The Problem: Protein powders that are low in quality, contain fat-inducing maltodextrin, taste horrible, require a blender to mix properly and contain only one very fast-acting protein. No doubt that most of these products are cheap, but who wants to gag something down day after day that's neither convenient nor beneficial?

The Solution: Matrix protein powders. Taking years to properly formulate, Matrix solves all of the problems currently afflicting those other low-grade protein powders. Most importantly, Syntrax completely stayed away from cheap, inferior protein sources, such as denatured sodium and calcium caseinate. They know that to be the best, they had to use only the highest quality protein sources, such as ultrafiltered whey protein, ultrafiltered milk protein, native egg albumin and glutamine peptides. The costs are much higher, but the rewards are significant. These proteins not only taste great, but they are unmatched in their ability to improve overall health as well as build critical bodily tissues and processes.
    To make the highest quality product in the industry, Syntrax knew they had to do even more. They decided that they would no settle for anything but the best tasting protein powder on the market. After countless trials, they arrived at several delicious flavors that are pure ecstasy to consume.
    Completing the solution to the problem, Matrix is thoroughly instantized so that every scoop dissolves perfectly in your favorite beverage. No more disgusting clumps or blenders that dirty your kitchen... with Matrix, you only need a spoon!

Syntrax Matrix 5.0 - The Facts

What is Matrix?
    Matrix is a blend of the highest quality protein concentrates in the industry.
    What makes Matrix higher quality than the competition?
    Matrix contains a combination of 3 different high-quality proteins: whey protein, micellar casein and egg albumin (egg white protein).

Why a blend of different proteins instead of just one protein?
    Indeed, there are several very high-quality protein sources, such as egg, casein and whey; however, none of them are perfect in every aspect. All of these protein sources are equal in terms of overall health and growth of lean body tissue, but each has its specific physiological strengths and weaknesses. For instance, egg protein is considered the gold standard protein source. Not only does it perfectly support lean tissue growth and maintenance, but it contains a host of growth factors and micronutrients. The downside is that it is very expensive. Whey protein, on the other hand, has been shown to be the fastest metabolized protein source and to have superior immune-stimulating abilities. Casein has been shown to be the slowest metabolized protein source, which makes it superior for providing muscle tissue with amino acids over an extended period of time. Thus, even though ingesting one protein source has many benefits, ultimately the best course of action is to consume several high-quality protein sources in order to minimize the weaknesses and maximize the strengths of each source.

When is the best time to consume Matrix?
    Because it contains proteins which are metabolized both quickly and slowly, Matrix is an ideal protein source for any time of the day. Some people will consume a fast-acting protein source, such as whey protein, after a workout and consume a slow-acting protein source, such as casein, before bedtime. Since Matrix contains slow (casein), medium (egg) and fast (whey) acting proteins, it is ideal for any situation. It has the ability to bombard lean body mass quickly with amino acids as well as provide the body with these same nutrients over an extended period of time.

Is Matrix a superior protein for those with medical conditions, such as bariatric surgery patients?
    Yes! Matrix's amino acid profile is best out of any protein on the market. Furthermore, because it provides the unique benefits of three different protein concentrates, it offers the best opportunity for increasing overall health and well being . . . from optimizing lean body mass and adipose levels to supporting an ideal antioxidant status to maintaining proper kidney and immune system function.

How can Matrix 5.0 be so economical if it contains more expensive proteins?
    Notice that Matrix 5.0 is packaged in a high-quality laminated bag. There are considerable savings in packaging with this method, which consequently offset the increased costs of the proteins. Do not worry about freshness! The laminate used for Matrix 5.0's bag is an oxygen and moisture barrier structure which works as well or better than the typical plastic jug. Furthermore, it contains a recloseable zipper for convenience and uses less of our precious non-renewable resources.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Had my annual physical today and my Dr. told me that while I am overall in excellent shape, my blood protein level was a little on the low side and I probably need to increase my protein intake. I eat relatively little meat (usually 1 serving of fish or chicken 4 - 5 times/week), lots of mostly low-fat dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt), fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts & seeds, etc. So I am wondering the best way to add some protein to my diet without adding a lot of extra empty calories, fat etc. Wondering about adding some protein powder to my yogurt, cereal, salads, etc? Any suggestions on the best way to add protein without adding a lot of unwanted calories, fat, sugar, etc?

Is there a reason why you" eat relatively little meat" as you put it? If it's because you are just unsure of what to eat to add protein to your diet, then I'd look to add more lean meats, fish, or grilled chicken breast to your diet. Protein powder as a supplement is a good suggestion, but if you can get your protein requirements from whole foods, you don't need protein powder.

I make a protein shake right after my workout, but that is only because I don't have time in the morning to make a meal after I workout - I'm literally rushing to get to the office. Also, i find that right after i workout i don't have much of an appetite, so a shake is about all i'm hungry for.

good luck
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    0.7g protein per pound of *lean* body weight is the recommended amount.

Chicken, fish, pulses, low fat cottage cheese & yoghurt, eggs, lean pork, lean beef, turkey...
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Another vote for Syntrax Matrix protein powder. The mint cookie is FANTASTIC!!!

Do you like fish? Tuna, shrimp, swai, all great sources of lean protein.

Low fat string cheese and cottage cheese.

Quinoa.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your advice so far. To the person who asked why I eat little meat, I just naturally seem to gravitate toward meatless meals. I just like fruit, vegetables, grains, dairy etc. better and I enjoy eating them more. My biggest "temptation food" isn't hot dogs, potato chips or hamburgers, it's bread! Anyway, I have gotten a lot of interesting suggests so far and would love to hear more.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Personally? I'd have more eggs, meat and fish, and dairy products. Don't however, do soy. Avoid soy at all costs. There are some plants that have protein as well, but I just prefer to get it from good quality animal products.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Quest bars... delicious and fiber rich! 20 grams of protein per bar.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Tuna is my friend.

I make a mean tuna bake ... Tuna+Veggies+Sour Cream, Cover in grated cheese, lob in oven until golden.

I spice it up too, lovely :)

If you really want to go healthy then sub in some chopped tomatoes for the cream ... I don't cos I like the texture ...

If on a snack attack then I head for a tin of flavored tuna but you have to watch them for excessive 'extras'.
  • rumplesnat
    Options

Quest Bars are the BEST!!! PB&J are my favorite.
  • stines72
    Options

havent gotten to try the PB&J yet... i have tried cinnamon roll, chocolate brownie, and chocolate peanut butter thus far... all have been amazing (i microwave them). i really want to try the chocolate chip cookie dough everyones been raving about.
  • rumplesnat
    Options

havent gotten to try the PB&J yet... i have tried cinnamon roll, chocolate brownie, and chocolate peanut butter thus far... all have been amazing (i microwave them). i really want to try the chocolate chip cookie dough everyones been raving about.

I want to try that too...and the newer banana nut one. Next order! LOL
  • stines72
    Options

I want to try that too...and the newer banana nut one. Next order! LOL

hahah yes! i am semi broke right now so as soon as im not im ordering some.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast with Vega One protein powder. Only 160ish cals per scoop but pack a TON on nutrition!