Vibram 5 fingers....runners

Options
Does anyone use these?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/indexNA.cfm

more specifically anyone with pronation issues???

(though I'd like to hear from anyone what you think of them, but if you over or under pronate please let me know which and how you liked these in relation to that)

Thanks muchly :smile:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Which one is the one where your foot rolls in? mine do that.

I just bought a pair of vibrams about two weeks ago. I love them. I find that my foot feel much more stable with the extended pinky and fourth toe (index toe?). I have a bit of muscle soreness in my calves (a great thing for me, as I want more definition in them) and my outside of my foot muscles feel a bit stretched.

There is a learning curve to putting them on (think gloves instead of mittens) and you do have to break your body in to them. I only wear them for working out and around the house so far (too cold to wear outside) but can't wait for summer to get some hiking in them. The problem is, now I'm starting to hate my other shoes, and they look too freaky deaky to wear all the time.:wink:

I think there's another discussion thread about them somewhere...search the threads and you can probably find a lot more input.
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My friend swears by them! I've never heard of them until he told me about them. He's got 5 pairs and loves them. After he told me about them, I started reading up about them, and started noticing other people wearing them! I bought my boyfriend a pair and he loves them. I will be buying a pair for myself soon! They come with very high reviews; I think they are onto something!
  • freezer
    freezer Posts: 2
    Options
    My boyfriend runs in them and loves them. The idea is that it alters your running gait from a static heel plant to more of a rotational ankle movement by planting more on the ball of the foot.
    I believe is supposed to reduce the shock to the joints and increase strength and ankle stability... Most of this info is from a brief report I saw on the Vibram website so I personally am still a little iffy on the idea, especially if you're not altering your gait to accomodate the new shoe. I'd like to see more peer-reviewed studies on the concept of barefoot running before I switch from my Asics!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    :smile: keep it coming! thanks
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I won't wear anything else now. I don't run, but I haven't heard of anyone that has tried them that doesn't like them. They are hard to find though.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Gummibaehr bought a pair and said they are fabulous. I'm picking up a pair next week. Local store has them. The website is a little confusing on how to measure them. I want to go down to the store and actually try them on.