What are some diet recipes that contain meat?

Options
I can't cook a single thing without meat! Soup isn't filling enough, and sometimes I can get him to eat a salad...on the side. Every diet recipe I look up either has chicken breast or fish. Well, those are expensive! Does anyone have some good recipes or even just ideas that I can feed this carnivore?

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Cook whatever you've got the ingredients for and feel like cooking--just enter the recipe into the calculator here on MFP to find out the calorie count per serving. You don't need some special "diet" recipe. I don't eat "diet" foods and lose weight just fine. I track my calories, though.

Look up "paleo" or "primal" recipes if you want some meat-happy ideas!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you want to use chicken thighs (which are cheaper) then remove the skin - that makes them lower in calories. Use turkey mince in place of beef mince, or if you can't afford low fat beef mince brown it first and drain it in a sieve over a bowl to reduce the fat content.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    pound of ground beef and a can of beans. high protein, high fiber, doesn't get better than that
  • pinkymac11
    Options
    Have you tried stir fry? I substitute skinless chicken legs or thighs for breast, as meat is quite pricey. Or you might fix a pot of stew, meatloaf, or spaghetti. Cook an inexpensive pork & shred it. Many things can be made with that. Are you both on a diet? If it is you, like me, I will fix meals my spouse likes & cut the portions down for me. Also, I shop the sales mostly to get better prices. It's hard, I know.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused about the question. You've asked for 'diet' recipes that include meat, but have then given the impression that you don't like cooking with meat?

I'll answer as best I can: my partner is exactly the same and a meal without meat isn't a meal in his opinion, so we have it every night. But, there are ways to shop cheaply; we haven't got a huge budget either. I buy the larger packs of minced steak so they will make a couple of meals. Chicken and fish is relatively cheap when it's frozen too. I can buy 5 large chicken breasts for just under £5 in my local supermarket. Salmon fillets are 4 for £3. Casserole steak is cheap and a little will make a hearty dinner when teamed with loads of veg - you can normally pick up a bag of casserole veg for £1.

I use the minced steak to make chilli, spaghetti bolognese and burgers (home made burgers are so much nicer).
    Chicken breast can be used to make curries - if you make your own sauce it reduces the cals a lot and you can bulk them out with veggies. I also use chicken on the side with salad.
    Salmon fillets I serve with stir-frys and a small amount of noodles.
    Casserole steak speaks for itself.

Hope this helps, if you want any individual recipes feel free to message me.
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you allow yourself spaghetti, make it with deer sausage. Less fat in deer meat.

One thing that my whole family likes is my ground turkey burgers. I think it is the 93/7 %mixture (lowest fat) that I use.
    Recipe follows:

Donna's Burgers

Lean Ground Turkey
    Sea Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Worchestershire Sauce
    1 egg
    1/4 C Oatmeal I have used half cup
    1 Jar ****ake mushrooms drained
    1 Can Tomato Paste

Mix ingredients, and fry in Olive Oil on med heat.
    I serve a patti on lettuce leaf with mustard and a slice of tomato.
    I eat mine with a fork. My hubby has his on a slice of Ezekiel bread, lightly toasted.
    They are very juicey. We love them!

One other recepie that came from Biggest Loser Cookbook
    Not meat but hubby really liked this.

Cajun "Squash Your Waistline" Fries

1 large butternut squash
    1/2 teasp extra virgin olive oil
    1 teasp paprika
    1/4 teasp cayenne
    1/8 teasp garlic powder
    1/8 teasp onion powder
    1/8 teasp salt (I used sea salt)

Preheat oven to 450 F
    Cut both ends off squash and peel using a veggie peeler.Discard rind.
    Cut the squash in half lengthwise, remove seed or pith from center if any.
    Cut about 2 cups of 4' x 1/2" sticks (this weighs about 8 oz)
    Refrigerate the left over squash for another recipe.
    Place the other ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk together.
    Place the sticks in bowl and toss around until covered wit mixture, this mixture goes a long way!
    Transfer sticks to a baking pan so that they are single layer and not touching.
    Bake. If you wish you can turn a couple times; I do not turn mine, but I cut them a bit thiner than 1/2" more like 1/4".
    Bake for 24 min. or until out sides are getting a bit crispy, Serve immediately! Delicious!