Away with Work next week - HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    1. Hotels have gyms. No excuses

2. Don't over eat stuff that isn't new or unique. You KNOW what a cheeseburger and fries tastes like, so no reason to hurt your progress because of it.

Enjoy

No gyms in Prem Inns I am afraid. It's a uk budget chain where the rooms are pretty decent with good beds but they don't offer much more.

very limited options when it comes to asking for food off menu too!!! You can get away with asking staff not to add sauce to a salad or meat dish but that is about it as it is all pre-made food that gets warmed up when ordered!! Still some choices are better than others and anyone eating in a Prem Inn for a week will soon off food anyway and eat less just because they are so bored with the rubbish.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I took a job that involved a fair amount of business travel- a collague told me she'd gained 25 libs. with all the traveling and eating in restuarants. I determined that that would NOT happen to me and I kept my weight level.

It's harder when you're stuck with a hotel with no gym and a pub-type restaurant, but here are some thoughts:

1. Sometimes you can make a meal out of 2 appetizers- something very light like a salad, and then something with a little lean meat and more veggies, or maybe a soup that's not cream-based. If it's the same thing every night, so be it.
    2. Skip dessert. I always enjoyed the last of my wine while they had dessert.
    3. Alternate any alcohol with sparkling water or still water- one glass of wine, one of water, etc. Bonus: it keeps you from getting too tipsy and doing/saying stupid things.
    4. Exercise first thing it the morning. I hate that part, but it's the only time I can work out when I'm on trips.
    5. What can you bring from home? I like beef jerky although it's pricey and the salt content can be unhealthy. Protein bars (check the ingredient list) and nuts (watch the calories, but they're hjealthy) are other options. I even bring dark chocolate bars and have a few squares as a bedtime snack. Don't forget food for the plane flight if you have one. Airports offer more healthy choices than they used to but they're expensive. I flew to London from Chicago last week and skipped the food they served on the plane entirely- too much junk, not very appetizing. I bought my own at the airport.
    6. Maybe promise yourself a small splurge of something you love when you get back as a reward for good behavior. My feeling about calories is that I'd rather indulge in things I really love that are bad for me (generally sweets) than "waste" them on other high-calorie, bad-for-you options that I really don't like such as french fries or pepperoni pizza.

Do your best- as others have said, one week won't kill months of hard work and you'll get back to normal habits when you return.
  • eas1950
    Options
    Scrambled eggs for breakfast,salad for lunch,grilled chicken for dinner...ask for what you want. Don't even look at the menus.No more than one drink a night. you can do this just think how great you'll feel when you conquer this challenge.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    does the hotel have a gym? If so try to get a bit of cardio in. If not just go easy on the meals. Eggs at breakfast and then high protein at lunch, and lay off the booze in the evening. you'll be fine!

Keep it up you are doing so well!
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    A few years ago I took a job that involved a fair amount of business travel- a collague told me she'd gained 25 libs. with all the traveling and eating in restuarants. I determined that that would NOT happen to me and I kept my weight level.

It's harder when you're stuck with a hotel with no gym and a pub-type restaurant, but here are some thoughts:

1. Sometimes you can make a meal out of 2 appetizers- something very light like a salad, and then something with a little lean meat and more veggies, or maybe a soup that's not cream-based. If it's the same thing every night, so be it.
    2. Skip dessert. I always enjoyed the last of my wine while they had dessert.
    3. Alternate any alcohol with sparkling water or still water- one glass of wine, one of water, etc. Bonus: it keeps you from getting too tipsy and doing/saying stupid things.
    4. Exercise first thing it the morning. I hate that part, but it's the only time I can work out when I'm on trips.
    5. What can you bring from home? I like beef jerky although it's pricey and the salt content can be unhealthy. Protein bars (check the ingredient list) and nuts (watch the calories, but they're hjealthy) are other options. I even bring dark chocolate bars and have a few squares as a bedtime snack. Don't forget food for the plane flight if you have one. Airports offer more healthy choices than they used to but they're expensive. I flew to London from Chicago last week and skipped the food they served on the plane entirely- too much junk, not very appetizing. I bought my own at the airport.
    6. Maybe promise yourself a small splurge of something you love when you get back as a reward for good behavior. My feeling about calories is that I'd rather indulge in things I really love that are bad for me (generally sweets) than "waste" them on other high-calorie, bad-for-you options that I really don't like such as french fries or pepperoni pizza.

Do your best- as others have said, one week won't kill months of hard work and you'll get back to normal habits when you return.

this
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    if you have a smart phone, try to get the Cyclemeter app. its got a walking mode, and is quite a good way to help estimate the amount of calories you have consumed walking.