shoulder problems weight lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If you can overhead squat 50kg, the regions I mentioned previously, are probably in not too bad shape.
    If you normal squat 50kg, I really don't think your legs are too big.

I've never come across anyone who genuinely had legs that are way too big for their upper body, and some of the guys I train with have some big strong legs (team GB weightlifters and England rugby players).

Anyway, given what you say about your tightness, I would get some soft tissue work done, and work on developing strength in the posterior muscles of the shoulder and back, and work on developing mobility in the shoulders and thoracic spine.

not so much my legs are too big but i'm happy with them, it's my upper body that's too small, if you have a look at my profile picture enlarged you should be able to see what i mean, though i've made decent progress from this picture

mainly my chest, arms and shoulders were just plain skinny, very defined and cut but too small compared to my legs
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Those raises are hard on your shoulders because the only thing supporting the weight is your ligaments. I wouldn't worry about going "heavy" with them. Light weight for high reps is just as good. And 100%- get some rotator cuff work going. Too many people only work their front and side delts and don't do any rear delt work or rotator work and that ends up giving an imbalance where the shoulder is being pulled out of line and can contribute to problems. You don't need hardly any weight for rotator cuff work, a 3lb db is sufficient. They are very small muscles and don't need a lot of weight to get them healthy.
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    is there a specific excersize that targets that sort of T3 area of the spine/ shoulder blades? perhaps reverse butterfly? (if thats an excersize lol) like lying on my front as opposed to my back

This is a great rear delt lift. Bend forward so your torso is parallel to the ground and starting with the db's hanging down in front, lift the db's by squeezing your shoulder blades together. Keep your arms bent, not locked, so the weights still hang down to a degree. Like a reverse fly that you'd use for chest. Light weight- though you can use a little more on this than front/side raises, and keep the reps high.

Bent barbell rows are also a good upper back/rear shoulder lift.
  • twelfty
    Options
    they really should have a thank you button on here lol, cheers danimal i'll try that tonight

i suppose with the rear delt lift you use your knees to support your chest/ shoulders?
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    they really should have a thank you button on here lol, cheers danimal i'll try that tonight

i suppose with the rear delt lift you use your knees to support your chest/ shoulders?
    No, you get in a similar position to doing a bent barbell row. Use your core to support you. Butt back, shins straight, head up, back straight.
  • twelfty
    Options

No, you get in a similar position to doing a bent barbell row. Use your core to support you. Butt back, shins straight, head up, back straight.

cool thanks
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Try this little exercise prior to your main workouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgBd16YDxp8