Had a hard week

Options
How do you guys get refocused after a bad diet week? I found myself getting lost in excuses. We had over a foot of snow where we live, then plunging temps, followed by long days at work, followed by the family making not healthy dinners. On and on and on....Its like, Ive been doing so well, lost over 20lbs so far, people are starting to notice and say so...then its like, the minute someone says something I want to fall off the wagon, go back to my safe place. I didnt get to the gym once this week. Now its friday and I feel like such a failure. I keep telling myself Monday, Ill get back on track on track Monday...Does this ever work??

Replies

• blythgirl
    Options
    Draw a line and just start straight away. Don't wait until Monday. Happens to us all!!!
  • soni_me
    soni_me Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You are NOT a failure. We all have bad days or weeks. Don't make excuses! Pick yourself back up and don't wait until Monday, because you'll be giving yourself an excuse to have 2 more "bad diet days". Start today! You CAN do this!
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until Monday.. get going today! If you can't get to the gym, work out at home. I've never been to a gym and I work out every day.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    What's so special about monday? If you start now, you can get in 3 workouts. And thats an average week for many people. Just pick yourself up and keep moving onwrds.
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    Yesterday has happened and can't be changed so don't worry about it anymore. Tomorrow is where it is at, or more importantly the now.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!! This is why I joined these boards...give me a good swift kick in the butt when no one else is!! And you're absoutly right...I just did 40 crunches, and its 430am here...before I go to work. Ive never done that!! haha! I am sick of the excuses myself...I will not wait until monday!!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure - everyone has a bad week now and then. Mine was last week. It's only a problem if you don't fix it.
    Accept that this wasn't a great week, remember all the compliments you are getting which is proof that what you've been doing is working and use that as motivation to get going again.
    I wouldn't wait Neil Monday to start again. If you can't get a full workout in until then fine but still do something. Go for a long walk, do some squats, lunges, jumping jacks and sit-ups at home (seriously 10 minutes max). Just get moving and this will motivate you even more.

Remember - there are 7 days in he week and someday isn't one of them.
    Best of luck. You can do this!!!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!! This is why I joined these boards...give me a good swift kick in the butt when no one else is!! And you're absoutly right...I just did 40 crunches, and its 430am here...before I go to work. Ive never done that!! haha! I am sick of the excuses myself...I will not wait until monday!!

There you go!!
    You rock!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    How do you guys get refocused after a bad diet week? I found myself getting lost in excuses. We had over a foot of snow where we live, then plunging temps, followed by long days at work, followed by the family making not healthy dinners. On and on and on....Its like, Ive been doing so well, lost over 20lbs so far, people are starting to notice and say so...then its like, the minute someone says something I want to fall off the wagon, go back to my safe place. I didnt get to the gym once this week. Now its friday and I feel like such a failure. I keep telling myself Monday, Ill get back on track on track Monday...Does this ever work??

You dont feel like you deserve it. You keep calling yourself a failure. You dont like getting attention for something you feel like you should have been all along. In plain english you arent very nice to yourself. Guess what? You have another Monday coming up that is your day for now and forever. It's not a day to be perfect. It's a day to try to do better, so your goal for the next week is to try to log everyday, measure, and get 3 days of exercise. Thats it you just have to accomplish those 3 things. Next week you can try something different accomplish something else. All you have to do now is focus on one day at a time, one minute at a time, and one meal at a time. You can get through that with success then for the remaining days of your life you will have won. So whats going to win the excuses or you?
  • skidoo1122
    Options
    Great job the morning. Not a benefit to wait until Monday. Do not give up. Keep moving this weekend.
  • Petrapoo45
    Options

You dont feel like you deserve it. You keep calling yourself a failure. You dont like getting attention for something you feel like you should have been all along. In plain english you arent very nice to yourself. Guess what? You have another Monday coming up that is your day for now and forever. It's not a day to be perfect. It's a day to try to do better, so your goal for the next week is to try to log everyday, measure, and get 3 days of exercise. Thats it you just have to accomplish those 3 things. Next week you can try something different accomplish something else. All you have to do now is focus on one day at a time, one minute at a time, and one meal at a time. You can get through that with success then for the remaining days of your life you will have won. So whats going to win the excuses or you?

Ding Ding Ding...Wow, you've hit the nail on the head!! This is some great advice, and I will use it...Thank you for posting!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Get back on track asap. Don't wait until Monday.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    WTG! Take it meal by meal, day by day. If you put it off it is like giving yourself permission to go overboard.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yup agree with others, Don't wait till Monday. Start right now.. Go read (online if have too) something about healthy eating. Go read the American Heart Association web site. Do some searches for exercising.. fill your mind with the thought of getting back on track and by reading weight loss articles, it gets you back (maybe slowly, but keep at it). Even if you don't feel like it, go get your tennis shoes on, even if just to walk around the house. do a couple knee bends. then later think about streatching your arms to the ceiling. This little bit of reading, and stretching can kick start you back on being focused. Good luck. I know you can do this. You can over come the funk week you have had... Most of all, remember why you wanted to get fit/lose in the first place.. Was it to fit in a nice bikini this summer? etc. Get the photo album out and look at old photo's of you and really look at all the fat rolls etc.

Good luck
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You have gotten great advice already. I just want to add that you are definitely not alone. Many of us, especially those like I (and possible you), who struggle with self-esteem issues related to weight and food. I have great self-esteem in other areas of my life, but it's like there is a roadblock when I get to a certain place in the whole weight loss thing. You can do it! So can I! We just have to keep on keeping on and shake off the bad days or weeks so that they don't become months!
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    so you had a bad day, move on and dont look back. everytime you feel like quiting, ask yourself why you started. and why wait until monday...if you dropped your phone would you jump on it until it was completley smashed or would you pick it up and try to save it? your phone is replacable, you only get one body.
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Pre-make some healthy foods ahead of time. That way you won't be tempted to fall off the wagon. I make up a bunch of various chicken foil packets on a Sunday so it's ready to microwave. I also have a tuperware full of fresh veggies. Once I started eating healthy and seeing results, I quit being mad at myself. I'm actually proud of myself now. Good luck and stay strong. Don't ever give up, it's your new lifestyle.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    You are NOT a failure. We all have bad days or weeks. Don't make excuses! Pick yourself back up and don't wait until Monday, because you'll be giving yourself an excuse to have 2 more "bad diet days". Start today! You CAN do this!
    Agree 100%
  • Petrapoo45
    Options
    Thank you for all your support everyone!! I had a great work day, and stayed on track!! woohoo!!
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a bad week! The trick is to not let it become a bad two weeks, then a bad month! Start right now and focus on what is important to you and why you joined MFP in the first place - you want to be healthy! You want to feel better about yourself! You are down 20 pounds - that is great! You have all the motivation you need to be successful! You can do this!