whats the best way to eat?

Options
Hi all

I'm currently eating at a defecit as i have altleast another 35lb to lose. I know that i wont build muscle while at a defecit but i would like to try and minimise any muscle loss as much as i can. I do cardio altleast 3 times per week whether it be crosstrainer/running/aerobics etc and I go to the gym 3 times per week for strength training to try and help hang on to the muscle i have but i was wondering if i need to be eating differently.

At the moment i have my lunch before i go to the gym and some fruit when i get back. I've been told that i'd be better having a healthy snack thats high in protein after my strength work out and i was wondering if this is true???

I know there are loads of you out there that know way more than me about this stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Protein after your strength workout will help to repair the muscles. A glass of milk would be fine.
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You know what I just read the other day that was good for repletion and helped with muscle synergist...chocolate milk. Dont know if this is true or not but thought it was interesting.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your protein intake is at a reasonable level overall during the day. They say 1g per lb of lean body mass.

Strength training will obviously help as well.
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thankyou, i knew i could rely on my mfp pals :o)
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Keep your protein at at least 1-1.5G by lb of lean body mass (LBM) but it's almost impossible to gain more than the "beginner gains" of muscle on a deficit. You can add strength training now to help your overal physique while you shed pounds which is think may be more your goal anyway..
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your protein intake is at a reasonable level overall during the day. They say 1g per lb of lean body mass.

Strength training will obviously help as well.

^^ Yup. There is no demonstrable benefit to fine tuning it greater than that. As long as you are getting sufficient protein over the course of the day you are good. The anabolic window is around 24 hours. Let preference and gym performance drive your nutritional timing.