NEED COMMUNITY INPUT ON EXPERIMENT WITH DVD WORKOUTS

Options
I posted this "challenge" a few months back as an experiment but got no replies--guessing title was worded in a poor way. In any case...

Beginning Monday I would like to attempt to perform an experiment integrating the training methods I have been using (namely sandbag and suspension training) in with a popular DVD workout plan, such as one from Beachbody or something else along those lines. This is not so much being done in a quest for results but as an experiment to see if these programs can be improved upon by using unstable weighted implements (such as sandbags) in lieu of regular dumbbells.

Hypothesis:

Sandbag training, by nature of its instability, forces the body to work harder, especially in the core, during ordinary movements. More muscles become involved in each exercise as you work to control the weight as the sand shifts inside. This, in theory, should eliminate the need for supplemental ab exercises (such as in the case of P90X's Ab Ripper X) since the core is getting heavily worked during the base strength workout. This has, in practice, proven to be true when doing workouts specifically designed around use of the sandbags. To put this to the test, however, I am going to be using them in lieu of dumbbells and/or barbells in a program designed around the use of conventional weights. The same should be said of suspension training, which allows you to perform bodyweight based exercises with an extreme focus on core stability and using mechanical advantage to modify them to your fitness level.

Test Method:

I am going to be going through a complete 60 or 90 day DVD based workout rotation that is based mainly around the use of dumbbells in conjunction with bodyweight training, incorporating suspension trainer use whenever the exercise allows for it (as well as in lieu of the stability ball when the exercise allows for it), and replacing dumbbells/barbells entirely with sandbags. Exercises will, if possible, be modified to best make use of the inherent advantages of sandbags (such as adding rotational or offset grip patterns to traditional weights exercises). An example of which would be replacing lawnmowers in P90X with offset grip sandbag rows, which is essentially the same exercise but by nature of the nonconventional manner you grip the bag, more muscles in the core and back are targeted. Testing tools used will be the CrossCore 180 suspension trainer, Jungle Gym XT suspension trainer, Perfect Core Ball 65cm stability ball, Ultimate Sandbag Burly bag loaded to 80 lbs, Ultimate Sandbag Strength bag loaded to 55 lbs using the optional water filler bags, and Ultimate Sandbag Power bag loaded to 25 lbs. Core-specific workouts that are supposed to be used in conjunction with these programs (such as the aforementioned P90X Ab Ripper X) will be omitted entirely.

Why am I posting this here and how does this involve you? Simply, I want the community of MFP to vote on which popular DVD program will be used to test my hypothesis. I have tested most of these before and even completed a few rounds of a couple of them. My preference was leaning toward GSP Rushfit, but because this is being done out of mainly an experiment rather than a quest to better my own fitness level, I want the community to be the judge. ChaLEAN Extreme is not a possibility for this experiment because the extremely slow tempo used for the exercises in that program essentially make it incompatible with sandbag training. Jillian Michaels workouts are also not a possibility because the way they favor extremely light weight for extremely high reps, as well as the high focus on isolation training, make them impossible as well. The original Power 90 is also not a possibility, nor is Les Mills Pump, mainly because of the extremely heavy focus on isolation training which essentially removes the inherent advantages sandbags may have.

Compatible programs (as far as I can see, anyway):

-P90X
-P90X2
-Supreme 90 Day Challenge
-GSP Rushfit
-Body Beast (have not yet acquired this program but will if it wins out in this poll)
-Any others you can think of along these lines.

About the tester:

I am 32 years old and was obese most of my life. At the age of 28 I purchased a motorcycle and started learning to ride. However, my weight of 335 lbs made this more problematic and unsafe than it had to be. I have since then become obsessed with fitness and nutrition and lost over 130 lbs. Most of my weight loss was achieved through good nutritional practices in conjunction with an exercise regimen I created combining suspension training for resistance and jumping rope for cardio. I have completed rounds of Power 90 and P90X, although I cannot say I was pleased with the results because while I did lose a significant amount of weight and gain some muscle tone, the functional fitness gains in strength and other athletic aspects I was looking for just weren't there. My poor balance made me struggle more than I probably should have with the leg and yoga days, however that has much improved since then. I have also done portions of the GSP Rushfit, TapouT XT, Supreme 90 Day Challenge, ChaLEAN Extreme, Insanity, Insanity Asylum, Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, Jillian Michaels 30DS, Skogg System, RKS, P90X2, TurboJAM, TurboFIRE, and Tony Horton One on One programs solely for the purpose of writing reviews of the programs.

So, Cast your votes! Tomorrow night I will tally the results and make the preparations needed to begin whatever program wins out on Monday.

This post was also posted on other fitness boards in order to ensure maximum replies.

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Come on, no interest at all? Really?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    P90x seems to be a pretty popular one around here.
  • Rac3rCh1ck
    Options
    P90x
    Or the supreme 90 day challenge!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Well, RushFit is a month shorter than P90X, so you should have results sooner, no?

Not sure about the others.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I posted this same question on the TeamBeachBody forum site and only got one reply so far, which was someone pointing out that I should rule out P90X2 because the medicine ball and stability ball work required of the program will make the unstable load training of sandbags not only redundant but potentially dangerous. This is a good point. P90X2 is now out of the running, primarily for safety reasons.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Nobody else? =/
  • missebees
    missebees Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've only heard of P90x, which does WORK if you actually stick with it 100%. The main reason why it works, from what I've heard, is the effort you put into it, which could also be done at the gym if you tried hard enough. 1 hour a day, 6 days a week is what you'd have to do.
    If you choose this one, good luck!