300-350 cal meal ideas

Options
Hello there fellow fitness pal users :) I'm having a bit of a creative block when it comes to food and could be doing with some help and ideas. After being diagnosed with PCOS my doctor has told me I need to lose weigh and to do so I must lower my carb intake and reduce my portion sizes. I have been targeted to 1200-1400 cal per day spread out over 4 meals of 300-350 each, I've to reduce my sugar intake and eat on a 12hours on 12 hours off rotation.

Can anyone offer recipies or meal ideas of 300-350cals with minimal carbs in?

Thanks all :)

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    How about some type of fish with lots of veggies?

For lunch I tend to like tuna in salads. I can add lots of leafy greens and as many vegetables as I want. It keeps me full until snack time (around 3:30 -4:00)

For dinner when I want to eat a light meal I like to eat garlic lemon pepper tilapia. Pair this with more veggies and it's wonderful.

I generally don't watch my carbs so these suggestions are just from my own diary from the past 2 weeks. It just so happens that my only low carb, under 350 cal meals all included fish. I'm sure you could also do the same with a small portion of chicken with different spices on it. I like to just add salt, pepper, and paprika to my chicken and bake it. If I make 1 or 2 breasts, I can cut them in half and have them for 2-4 meals.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You may need to increase it to 6 meals a day with exercising, but here's my little suggestions for meals. You can add TONS of veggies to any meal for very low calories and they help to satisfy hunger.

Eggs (specifically egg whites) are a great source of protein per calorie. I eat a scrambled egg made of 4 egg whites + 2 eggs (w/yolk) every day. That's 220 calories, 2 carbs, and 28 protein. So you can think of omelets (eggs, chicken, cottage cheese, mixed veggies).

If you're looking at eating out (I know nobody wants to suggest fast food but sometimes it is what it is).

You can eat 2 Qdoba Tacos (Crispy Shell, Lettuce, and Cheese - no salsa (high in sodium), and choice of meat) for about 360 calories, 18 carbs, 22 fat, 28 protein. You can make these at home too, use steak, chicken, lean ground beef/chicken/turkey, pork, etc.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Last nite I had roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes fries for like 230 calories it was yummy. I wouldn't want it every nite but when have a big lunch I enjoy the roasted veggies!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like some chicken thighs with a fried egg and a side of veggies like green beans or a salad. Totals: Cal 352, 14 carbs, 5 fiber so Net carbs =9, protein-38, Fat-16

4 oz chicken thighs

Calories 220
    Sodium 84 mg
    Total Fat 11 g
    Potassium 205 mg
    Saturated 3 g
    Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 2 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 4 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 28 g
    Cholesterol 101 mg

1 large egg
    Calories 70
    Sodium 70 mg
    Total Fat 5 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 6 g
    Cholesterol 210 mg

1 cup green beans
    Calories 62
    Sodium 12 mg
    Total Fat 0 g
    Potassium 422 mg
    Saturated 0 g
    Total Carbs 14 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 5 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 7 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 4 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love making Turkey Chili, its healthy, filling and about 250-325 cal per serving.

I use ground Turkey Breast meat, it has less calories and fat. I saute onions, garlic, peppers and when soft, add the ground turkey. When browned, I drain any excess liquids and season to taste with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder. Then I add dark red Kidney beans (1 can) Diced Tomatoes (2 cans) and Corn (1 can). I stir all together and simmer for about 15 min. Its yummy and full of protein and the only carbs are the tomatoes, corn and sauteed veggies!
  • Kate_Brown_123
    Kate_Brown_123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How about trying some homemade soups? I heat them in the morning then put them in a thermos-flask to keep warm and drink them when I'm peckish between meal, btu if you wanted to bulk them up you could add some tofu, Quorn or chicken or fish (I'm vegi)

Personal favourites are:
    Fennel and Celeriac Soup
    Spiced Indian Tomato soup (this has lentils in, so it's really filling)
    Parsnip and chilli/cumin
    Carrot and Corriander
    Mexican Bean and Pepper (this is really hearty)

These can all be made in 30mins or less, are great whizzed-up or chunky..how ever you want!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have a dish called "Fake Huevos Rancheros" that I made up that I like a lot.
    Mix 1/2 cup canned great northern beans and 1/2 cup chopped grape tomatoes. Season with Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy blend (or your favorite hot sauce/salsa if sodium isn't an issue for you). Microwave 30 seconds on high, stir. Add 1 oz. light cheddar cheese. Microwave 45 seconds on 50% power. Top with a fried egg and one sauteed chicken breast tender (or 2 oz. chicken breast meat).
    321 calories, 34 g. protein, and 6 g. fiber. I don't count carbs but I guess the tomatoes and cheese will give it some carbs. You could play around with alternate ingredients if the carb count is too high.
    I find it very filling and delicious :) plus super easy and fast to make. I am the laziest cook ever.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I don't know the numbers, but if you keep the oil to a minimum, this should fit the bill nicely. Paleo-friendly spicy baked shrimp & green beans.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/05/recipe-for-spicy-roasted-green-beans-or.html
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    Also, as a side, I like to make sauteed apples, onions, and celery. You just take a bit of butter or olive oil, and apple, and half an onion, and 3 ribs of celery, and saute them with poultry seasoning. Tastes a lot like stuffing, but with NO refined carbs. (I've got it down as serving 3 at 95 cals per serving.)
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    Oh! and spicy chicken-lettuce wraps are always a great low-cal, lowish-carb dinner.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I definitely second the salad idea, it makes a really great and filling lunch. On Monday's (my Sunday) I will make some form of protein (chicken breast, pork or beef roast) and then dice up the meat and portion out for the week so I can throw that meat into a salad with any veggies I happen to have on hand (onion, tomato, cucumber, peppers, etc). Or, if I am too lazy to do that, I just throw a can of albacore tuna in, and I can keep my salads around the 350-400 calorie mark.

Bodybuilding.com has great high-protein low carb recipes for things like protein muffins (both meat and protein powder) that are really filling and very reasonable on calories. I would highly recommend looking around on there and see what suits you. The turkey protein muffins are delish. :)
  • txprocrastinatrix
    Options
    You can have pizza! They have stuff called lavash bread, which is a big flatbread, in the bakery section of Walmart. They have several different brands. The flatout brand tastes better, and the whole thing has 35 g of carbs. The Josephs brand is better for you and has 14 g carbs for the whol thing. Put one of those on a cookie sheet, spread pizza sauce on there thinly (about 35 calories for that) then do light mozzerella or use the good stuff sparingly and top with turkey pepperoni and voila! cut into thirds and each is about the size of those french bread pizzas. throw veggies on cuz they don't count and they fill you up. i eat two and give the third to my daughter and we both get full.