Binge Eating - An article (and a peice of myself) to share.

Options
So I found this article on CNN about Binge Eating and how a group of people stopped with this self help book and checking in with a health educator.
Since I started on MFP - I decided to get real. I have been more open and honest with myself and the people around me. I am a binge eater. Especially when I am unsure how to process my emotions. Good, bad, sad, happy. It was all celebrated or dealt with using food. And lots of it.
I used to go thru drive thru and order so much food that I would order a 2nd drink so the people wouldn't think it was all just for 1 person. I have not binged in 2 months. And it's been a rough 2 months. I went thru a huge betrayal recently from someone I trusted very much and I am happy to say that I have managed to get thru the first 3 weeks of it without Binging. So maybe, just maybe there is hope for people like me yet.
Just thought I would share the link in case anyone else can benefit from knowing there is help, we can get past it and your not alone. :)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/31/binge.eating.treatments/index.html?hpt=C2

Replies

• Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later :flowerforyou:
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Bump to read later :flowerforyou:

me too
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    First I want to say Congratulations :drinker: on your 3 week No binge mark. This is my biggest issue so I know what an accomplishment that is.

I just polished off my daughter's leftover carrot cake all by myself .....again. Seems I do really well then if I see a lot of cake or brownies or cookies left from an event I feel it is my duty to devour it.

I've been at the same weight since December. I really need to get some help on this. I am going to go read this article now.

Thank you for sharing:flowerforyou:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing, and Congratulations on keeping it together for 3weeks! that is a HUGE accomplishment especially when it has to do with what someone else did and you can't control it.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I also suffer from this eating disorder and have for 20+ years. I am currently seeking help and have been doing really well. I have to turn in my food logs from this site. Now anytime I feel out of control w/ food I feel like I just binged. Even if it was only 300 calories. If I didn't consciencely make the decision to eat or wasn't hungry and just wanted that "high" that the food gives us, I feel like I binged because I wasn't in complete mental control. This is really hard, but I know that it is a horrible problem and I really really want to get healthier, so I need to learn how to overcome it. And routine is hard to break.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    Thanks for sharing hon.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you for your success! I know how difficult this issue is as I am a recovering compulsive/binge eater myself. Thank you for opening up and sharing your story and for the link to the article. You are a very strong woman.:flowerforyou:
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    You know when we keep things in the dark, the situation is that much harder to overcome. So it is such a BIG step to admit this bad habit you have (we all have something). Congratulations on 3 weeks of control and discipline!

I will be praying for you! We are weak, BUT GOD is strong! He will help overcome...just ask Him and keep asking...everyday, moment by moment.
  • Buzzkitty1
    Buzzkitty1 Posts: 134
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, and congrats to you for owning this, and working really hard to get past it.
  • Dumspiro
    Dumspiro Posts: 28
    Options
    bump :)