nytimes blog re: sweet spot for exercise (4 times a week).

Options
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/why-four-workouts-a-week-may-be-better-than-six/

the distill I got was this:

(1) exercising more burns more calories.
(2) in addition to exercise time in the gym, general activity (like walking around, taking the stairs, vs driving/taking escalator) also is an important part of daily activity.
(3) If you exercise even a little, you will receive benefits.
(4) if you exercise alot, your emotional state (feeling pressured for time, feeling drained) may cause you to curb your daily activity (ie - non-gym time) to an overall lower level when added together (gym time plus non-gym general activity).
(5) my conclusion is that, you should be aware of your gym and non-gym activity levels, and just try to achieve a balance that is sustainable (one that you are actively aware of) and hopefully one that shows gradual improvement.

Replies

• letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals, really
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, I can see the logic in it, but I'm not convinced by the study. The sample group was hardly representative, and the conclusions would be better stated as "It may be better for sedentary women aged 60 to 72 to work out four times a week rather than six, if they feel that working out six times a week may take away take away from activities they would rather be doing".

I think your point 5 is pretty much the most valuable thing to take from the study. If exercise is netted out by a reduction in NEAT, it has less value. Individuals have to best determine how that applies to them.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I have always thought 4x was the magic #. It give me balance and lets me have a life and get other things accomplished.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the read.