i really really wanna start weight training.

Options
2»

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    When I was doing heavy lifting, I read that the rest days are an important part of the training. For that reason, I wouldn't do deadlifts, etc. on both Saturday and Sunday. I'd pick one day as my lifting day and do something lighter on the other day. (In other words, I would never do lifting on two consecutive days).

I have used You Are Your Own Gym and it's great (the app is useful), but I prefer Body By You by the same author. It's aimed at women and has whole body workouts on 3 days a week, which take about 20 minutes each. I have sometimes got into work a little early and done the whole workout while starting work. I would recommend it! If you don't have a full 20 minutes clear, you might be able to break it up a bit and do some pushups when you have a chance, then some squats later in the day, and so on.

I haven't felt that strength training sped up my weight loss at all, but I do hope that it helped to retain some muscle, and according to my (probably not very accurate) scales, my weight loss has been almost all fat.

Good luck!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Cardio and Weight Training are EQUALLY Important, in My Opinion. With adding Weights to your Workouts, you can cut down some on the time you spend on Cardio, but I would NEVER Eliminate either one.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    One of the nice things about weight training is that it doesn't take so much time. Start with some compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, push ups etc, that work more than one muscle group. You can get an effective workout in and build on your strength in a short amount of time.