Taking in more fiber without a ton of calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Onlyyoucanbeyou
    Onlyyoucanbeyou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Haha. I don't eat wheat, legumes, (and I haven't had any veggies yet today :0) and I've had, what, 37 grams of fiber so far? Yeah.

Basically, I had a bottle of chia seed kombucha first thing in the morning. Already 8 grams of fiber. In fact, if you don't like kombucha, just have chia seeds alone! I also had a fair bit of extra dark chocolate, totaling up to 4-5 grams. I had a few TBL of coconut butter, which is 5 grams of fiber per 2 tablespoons. Fruit may not seem 'high' in fiber, but after 2 or 3 pieces you get a good 6 grams (2 a piece). Also, of course, I have had a couple bowls or oatmeal---5 grams of fiber a bowel!
    Also had a home made very healthy muffin with about 3 grams per muffin. And, I have to admit, I just had a 3RD bowl of oatmeal--love it!

If it was a good day (and I am making this my LAST "bad" day), I would gather roughly 10 more grams from some lovely vegetables!

Good Luck
  • darthjen
    darthjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    CALORIES/FIBER
    1 tbsp Jane's Smucker's - Sugar Free Concord Grape Jelly 10/3
    2 tbsp Flax Meal 50/5
    1 cup Raspberries 64/8
    1 Red Bell Pepper 37/4
    1/2 cup Sweet Peas 50/3
    1 cup Carrots 53/3
    130 g Black Soy Beans 60/4
    1/2 cup Black Beans 90/6
    1 cup Blueberries 80/4
    1 slice Ezekial Bread - 7 Sprouted Grains Bread 80/3
    1/2 cup Chickpeas 120/5
    1 medium Sweet Potato 103/4
    1 medium Banana 105/3
    1 cup Multigrain Cheerios 110/3
    58 g Hass Avocado 96/4
    1 medium Apple 72/3
    1/4 cup dry Steel Cut Oats 150/5
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    CALORIES/FIBER
    2 tbsp Flax Meal 50/5
    1 cup Raspberries 64/8
    1 Red Bell Pepper 37/4
    1/2 cup Sweet Peas 50/3
    1 cup Carrots 53/3
    1/2 cup Black Beans 90/6
    1 cup Blueberries 80/4
    1/2 cup Chickpeas 120/5
    1 medium Banana 105/3
    58 g Hass Avocado 96/4
    1 medium Apple 72/3

Thanks for this!
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat bran flakes cereal dry for snacking or breakfast with milk. I am addicted to Cream of wheat I have been eating it with milk for breakfast with some cinnamon in it. It's about 210 calories so I usually pair it with something at breakfast. It's higher in sodium but great source of iron, dietary fiber, and calcium with the milk. It also helps keep me full until lunch.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a good source of not only fiber, but protein and omega-3 fatty acids, as well.

Mix about 3 ounces of milk with 3 tablespoons of chia seeds, 1/2 teaspoon sugar (or whatever sweetener you desire) and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and you've got yourself a chia seed pudding. (You need to initially mix it, and then let it sit a few minutes and then stir again. It takes several minutes for the seeds to begin gelling.)

Using non-fat milk and Bob's Red Mill chia seeds, the breakdown is: 266 calories, 22g carbohydrate, 14g fat, 13g protein and 15g fiber.

You can substitute any other liquid (water, juice, almond milk, etc.) for the milk and you can substitute other flavorings (pumpkin pie spice, cocoa powder - use your imagination) to devise your own chia seed pudding.

Edited to correct calorie count.

This is pretty good. you can also add hemp for more fiber and protein (but not too much, it won't taste good). Also, if you aren't a huge chia seed taste fan, try almond flavoring instead of/on top of vanilla, it helps mask the taste.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If you eat 5 servings of vegetables a day that would be almost your full days worth of fiber. Then you could supplement it with fruit, legumes, whole grains, and seeds.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I was looking around at some more vegetables that are higher in fiber. It's caloric dense but a medium potato has 5g of fiber. A cup of jicima has 6g. A cup of summer squash has 5g. A cup of green bell peppers has 3g. A cup of cauliflower has 3g. I'd load up on beans and legumes too they pack such a great fiber punch. This has been a good post though I've realized that some of my veggie choices arent the highest.

Some more to add.. artichoke 10g, peas 8gm, turnips 5g, sweet corn 4g, brussel sprouts 4g, Now the mayo clinic is saying a cup of boiled broccoli has 5g, but when I looked on the Self nutrition data site it agreed with what you had found.
  • bearii
    bearii Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup of All Bran Buds = 13g of Fiber. Throw in a few blueberries and a little water, makes a perfect way to start your day with half your fiber needs filled already. Very filling and stays with you throughout the morning.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Metamusil. Sugar free is low cal and easy to add to any drink. I am also trying for around 35g/d and it is not incredibly easy with the current cal targets.
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Also, of course, I have had a couple bowls or oatmeal---5 grams of fiber a bowel!

Good Luck

HAHA...you said bowel...vs. bowl. Makes me want to eat oatmeal : -) Great tips, thanks!
  • crjohnston12
    Options
    CALORIES/FIBER
    2 tbsp Flax Meal 50/5
    1 cup Raspberries 64/8
    1 Red Bell Pepper 37/4
    1/2 cup Sweet Peas 50/3
    1 cup Carrots 53/3
    1/2 cup Black Beans 90/6
    1 cup Blueberries 80/4
    1/2 cup Chickpeas 120/5
    1 medium Banana 105/3
    58 g Hass Avocado 96/4
    1 medium Apple 72/3

This is great! Thanks!!!
  • crjohnston12
    Options
    I was looking around at some more vegetables that are higher in fiber. It's caloric dense but a medium potato has 5g of fiber. A cup of jicima has 6g. A cup of summer squash has 5g. A cup of green bell peppers has 3g. A cup of cauliflower has 3g. I'd load up on beans and legumes too they pack such a great fiber punch. This has been a good post though I've realized that some of my veggie choices arent the highest.

Some more to add.. artichoke 10g, peas 8gm, turnips 5g, sweet corn 4g, brussel sprouts 4g, Now the mayo clinic is saying a cup of boiled broccoli has 5g, but when I looked on the Self nutrition data site it agreed with what you had found.

Great information...thank you so much!