Easter Dinner

Options
youngs
youngs Posts: 250 Member
I am just curious to know what everyone is planning to have for easter dinner..I will be cooking at home for my family but I dont want to blow all of my hard work in one day... so I was wondering what everyone is doing to try to stay with in your goals..I will be walking that day so I will have my extra calories from that..but just kind of stumped..this is my menu that I done in years past

Ham
Mash Potatoes w/ ham gravey
Corn and candied carrots(a must for my daughters request)
Noodles
Deviled eggs
Rolls

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    here's my menu for sunday dinner

Turkey, with brown rice wild mushroom stuffing
    green bean casserole
    broccoli/cauliflower/carrots. steamed
    baked squash with a little maple syrup

dessert is angel foodcake done in muffin tins with a strawberry glaze as a frosting and a mini choclate bunny on top

Everything is low cal, low fat...absolutely no guilt when I dig in!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My older sister and are are both getting healthy and eating right, so we asked our Mom to not make a "heavy" meal. So it's not too extraordinary but she's making Grilled Chicken, Veggies on the grill. Then just strawberries with cool whip for dessert :)
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Nothin special this yr, just some buffalo wings with yellow rice & beans, No one is coming, it'll be just me n my kids...
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    We're BBQing chicken, hamburgs, hotdogs, sausages. Having fruits and veggies, different salads.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am Italian, and in our family, we traditionally eat lamb or goat. This year we're having goat and we grill it with a wine-parsley-garlic marinade, mmmmm :)
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My older sister and are are both getting healthy and eating right, so we asked our Mom to not make a "heavy" meal. So it's not too extraordinary but she's making Grilled Chicken, Veggies on the grill. Then just strawberries with cool whip for dessert :)

skewer your veggies, like peppers, mushrooms and what not and add pineapple chunks, pineapple on the grill is freaking awesome!..lol, just an idea :wink:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I know to some this may sounds sad...but I'm happy to say I'm skipping Easter this year. We got together last Sunday for my mom's b-day and she doesn't want to clean her house or cook and I really hate holidays anyhow and certainly don't need the food temptation. So I will be having a nice peaceful quiet day off unless my b/f ropes me into going to his family's house. I hope I can get out of that too. I just don't want to have to explain why I'm not eating like I used to. I don't like the responses I get and I'd rather just not have to talk about my weight at Easter. I think he'll understand.
  • tbabe
    tbabe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make simple swap outs for healthier choices. Still make the ham but glaze with something lighter like ginger ale and serve along with a grainy mustard. Change the mashed potatoe and gravy for a homemade scalloped potatoe made with 1% milk. Roast asparagus in a little olive oil. Pumpernickle bread is a smarter choice over the dinner rolls. And if you want to add dessert homemade rice pudding with 1% milk. Now these are just small changes but are very traditional Easter fare that your guests will not notice is healtier or lighter.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,613 Member
    Options
    I don't care for ham, but I love a nice pork roast. That said, I fixed one last night, so Easter would be a bit soon for another one. I think I'll roast some turkey breast, boil some baby red potatoes, fix a nice spinach salad w/vinaigrette, and then maybe some asparagus.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Usually for Easter, I make chicken enchiladas with chips & salsa (which would have been better) but this year my family is celebrating my birthday on Sunday so I requested manicotti because my mom traditionally makes it for Christmas and last year I spent it with my bf's family and missed out...so I need my manicotti fix, lol! :happy: It's my birthday...and I'll still have the rest of the week to eat better before I go get drunk on my bday (lol) so I'm just going to practice portion control and not worry about it. It's a day for family (which means sitting, playing games - most likely I'll burn a ton of calories, laughing, so no worries!) and reflecting on Christ's sacrifice for me so I'm NOT going to spend my day worrying about calories.

Plus, my mom's manicotti is OUT of this world. Her parents were chefs...lady knows what she's doing :tongue:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Since I've been out of town, last weekend my DIL did the planning and I'm having everyone over to our house for:

Ham, Green Salad, Deviled Eggs :bigsmile: I'm providing
    The rest of the family::noway: Of course I wish I could be eating this...but NOT this year:ohwell:
    Mac & Cheese & pigs in the blanket mini's
    Green Bean /or Cauliflower
    Corn Stuffing & Home Made Rolls
    Bunnie Cake & Brownies

I can have what I'm providing and maybe a bite of the veggies, depending on how they are prepared and I will have one of my "skinny cow mini's" on hand .... I really don't want to have to "re lose" after Sunday.

I do plan to enjoy the company though:drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've decided I'm stealing a few of your ideas ;)

Deviled eggs are a GREAT idea!! Gives a purpose to those coloured eggs we'll be making :)

We were thinking ham, but with the nice weather, I'm going to try and convince my hubby to grill.
  • aippolito1
    Options
    I've decided I'm stealing a few of your ideas ;)

Deviled eggs are a GREAT idea!! Gives a purpose to those coloured eggs we'll be making :)

We were thinking ham, but with the nice weather, I'm going to try and convince my hubby to grill.

That's a great idea!!! :) You could do grilled chicken with a hawaiian marinade, yum!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Does anyone ever cook a turkey breast in the crock-pot? I thought that might be yummy, i need some low calorie, low fat ideas please :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    We're going to my mom's for Easter dinner, and the menu is different every year so it will be a surprise. I think she mentioned ham and scalloped potatos though (oh god, YUM). I'm going off my diet for Easter day, that's just how it is. :)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Does anyone ever cook a turkey breast in the crock-pot? I thought that might be yummy, i need some low calorie, low fat ideas please :flowerforyou:

I have! It was yummy but I didn't do anything special really. I did it the same way I do a roast chicken. Leave the skin on. Work your fingers under the skin and rub olive oil and a bit of lemon into the flesh. Then I sprinkle a bit of fresh chopped rosemary over the breast. I lay mine on a bed of quartered cooking onions. Comes out very tasty everytime.
  • sschiferli
    Options
    We're doing a ham as well as a pork tenderloin on the grill and serving it with a pineapple salsa. Red skin potatoes, asparagus on the grill and a carrot cake for dessert. However, there will also be deviled eggs, homemade artichoke dip and some awesome rolls from a local fancy restaurant...these dishes I plan to to avoid! WIsh me luck!
  • smilogirl
    smilogirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well.. Dad is buying a Ham to bake.. I'll probably make baked sweet potatoes and green beans, my usual salad with tomato and avocado and a nice lemony dressing with olive oil.
    We are supposed to have company... I might make a pie, if it is requested. I'm not the biggest fan of dessert though so I hope it doesn't get requested.
    My issue is to eat enough through the day so I'm not so hungry at dinner... and portion control
  • aippolito1
    Options
    My issue is to eat enough through the day so I'm not so hungry at dinner... and portion control

Me too! I'm debating bringing my own snacks...not so sure my parents will have healthy snacks in the fridge for me every 2 hours. Bleh.
  • worchard
    worchard Posts: 30
    Options
    Since we have a family reunion each Easter there will be all kinds of food there. I just plan on portion control and picking out what maybe "more" healthy for me than others. Plus get in some exercise while there.