LDL lowered :-) Now My HDL is way too low :-(

pixietwilight
pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Here is the thing Anyways I have been working really hard this year to lower what I thought was my problem which was that my LDL 105 now 72 . Went to my doctor which was nice since I have lost 25 lbs since I saw him. My Total Cholesterol 111 - my LDL 72 My Triglycerides 44 - here is goes my HDL was 30 and it should be at least 45. He told me that I need more exercise to raise it but with all the exercise 6 hours a week with weights and 4 hours a week at cardio i don't have time to add more unless I plan to abandon my family. He said it is genetic since my LDL and Trig are so low. Any idea how I can raise that number?

Replies

• mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    If you're already exercising quite a bit, more isn't going to impact your levels that drastically. I'd take a look at the kinds of fats you're eating. If you haven't already, cut out trans fats. They can negatively impact your lipid levels. Then add in more good fats. Maybe try a fish oil supplement, add nuts and avocados to your diet, swap red meat for fish, etc. You might also want to consider taking niacin (a B vitamin). It can help raise HDL levels.Smoking and alcohol consumption can also lower HDL levels (mostly by depleting your body of niacin), so if you do either of those, think about quitting.
  • pixietwilight
    pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
    I don't do trans fat and I don't smoke or drink. So avocados hear I come! Thanks for the info.
This discussion has been closed.