morning workout?

Options
I am so busy with school, family and work that I really need to workout in the morning or it won't happen often enough... I need something to motivate me to get my butt out of bed.... I HATE early morning... I am the person who hits snooze up till the last minute. I have even stood up next to my bed to go workout and talked myself into getting back into bed again. I have to leave for work by 6:40 am.

Any ideas, thoughts on early morning motivation?

Replies

• GreenLaura22
    GreenLaura22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this! I too am guilty of hitting the snooze as often as I can! On the day's when early morning is my only option...I make it as easy as possible. I set my coffee maker to have coffee ready for me at six, I put all of my workout clothing/shoes on the floor by my bed, so as soon as my feet hit the floor...there is all of my stuff....mocking me "you said today would be the day!....Are your WISHING for it? Or WORKING TOWARDS IT"

A few times a week early morning workouts are my only option for the day....I hated the thought of it...but those workouts (the ones you REALLY don't want to do) are the most rewarding ones! I have such a sense of accomplishment.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump .. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on getting up early and getting their workout in the morning. I can't seem to do it either, but I am being good about afternoon workouts.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    move your alarm clock further away so you have to get up and turn it off like the bathroom and have your gym clothes shoes next to it.

If you do it enough times with out stopping it will turn into a habit and then your body will automatically wake up and be ready to move.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I had to set three alarms, one was across the room. I set my workout clothes out the night before, and I use an organizer to schedule my workouts a month at a time so I know what I'm doing when I get up. After a while, I stopped thinking about it and it became automatic.
  • weblady12
    weblady12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am glad I am not alone. I just do not feel motivated to get moving. I think the clothes at the end of the bed is a good idea.
  • anitabrabazon
    anitabrabazon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've just started to cycle to work but tend to out off by the weather! So what I do is pack my bags the night before, have my clothes ready at the bottom of bed for the morning. I also have a rough idea of the calories I'll burn so I make a decision what to have for food that night, something with a few more calories, i.e. home made burgers with cheese and bacon, so without the cycle I can't have that yummy food so it motivates me!
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Its hard to get started, no bones about it. I go to bed in my work out gear and allow one hit on the snooze button. I tell myself, "You WANT this, so DO IT" I can easily (and did) allow negative thoughts crawl in and send me back to bed for another hour and 8 pounds came back.
    Now every morning I remind myself of that. Only I can make me get up and the only time I have is in the morning. I want this, I have to do it. It does get easier and I feel better as soon as I'm done.
  • brendajester03
    Options
    Been working out in the morning for nearly three years now. I do it five days a week. I don't have children so it makes it easy for me but I wouldn't have it any other way. I work out at my place of business and then shower there as well. I feel so much better knowing I have accomplished this in the morning and then I don't have to worry about it in the afternoon when I don't feel like it. Good luck, you can do it!!!!!
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I always get my clothes and gym bag together the night before, along with my waterbottle and protein bar. I find if you wake up and know it's waiting for you, you're more likely to do it. I also set the name on my phone alarm to something like, "Gym time, get motivated!" or something like that. Corny, yes... but I find it helpful. Hope you can find something that works for you.
  • _zombiegirl_
    _zombiegirl_ Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am most definitely not a morning person, either, but I get up at 5 a.m. to work out. I have to - while I love the idea of working out in the afternoons, I will simply procrastinate until I run out of time. For me, getting it out of the way first thing is the best option.

I am also a "hit snooze as long as possible" person. I put my alarm clock all the way across the room, so it is less tempting to just get back into bed. At first, I had to set it a half hour earlier, just so when I kept hitting snooze, I would eventually get sick of it and get up in enough time to exercise.

I get my clothes out the night before. That way I don't have to stumble around and wake up my dogs or little girl. lol I do the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred, which is a 20-25-minute workout. I have to repeat to myself a lot, "It is only 25 minutes, you can do it," or, "Remember you wanted to see results..." or "You are hating this right now, but you will be so glad you did once it's over!"

Sometimes I am REALLY not feeling it, and I remember a blog I read once. The guy said, "You don't need motivation, you just need to start." He said break it into really, really small steps - for example "I just need to get out of bed," then "I just need to get my clothes on," then "I just need to do the first jumping jack..." Before you know it, you are into the workout, your blood is flowing, and by then, you're already going so you might as well finish. lol :)

Feel free to add me (any of you!)... I can always use some extra motivation and am happy to return the favor! Good luck!!
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had to set three alarms, one was across the room. I set my workout clothes out the night before, and I use an organizer to schedule my workouts a month at a time so I know what I'm doing when I get up. After a while, I stopped thinking about it and it became automatic.

This ^^ I get up at 3:30, I need to be done working out by 5:00 to be in the shower, get my 3 girls up and out the door by 6:10 to be at work by 6:45. I set my cell phone alarm to really loud in the hall or some place that it could wake my kids if it goes for too long.:happy: It makes me shoot out of bed to get it. Once I am up, I am up and no going back to the bedroom. Once your body gets into the routine it isn't so bad. Good Luck!
  • Seaduck79
    Seaduck79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning as well, and have spent the last year getting up at 4 am so that I could work out, eat breakfast, and be at the office by 7:00. It was hard, but not as hard as looking at what I used to look like in the mirror.

Also, the alternative for me was to work out after a day at the office, which meant that I wasn't eating dinner until 7:30 - 8:00, with a 10 pm bedtime. That just didn't work for me.

All that said - the routine that is the best for you is the one you will follow. If you will work out 4x/week in the afternoons but only 2x in the morning, do the afternoons until you can build enough momentum to move toward mornings more.
  • kt_731
    kt_731 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am the same way.. not a morning person. A huge motivation for me is what I have learned from this Body for Life program. They say to workout first thing in the morning (this is for cardio, not weights) on an empty stomach and then fast for an hour afterwards. After doing cardio your body continues to burn calories/fat/etc afterwards, so you rather it burn the fat on your body and not food you eat.

I have read A LOT of research and blogs on how people are burning more by working out first thing in the morning. So even though I absolutely hate getting up earlier... this motivates me. Here are some interesting links...

http://bodyforlife.com/community/boards/bfl/b/insider-blog/archive/2011/06/13/morning-exercise.aspx

http://bodyforlife.com/community/boards/bfl/f/14/t/2921.aspx
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I was that person too. I would wake up just in time to catch a shower and make my train.

I think for me it's a mindset, and getting to sleep at a good time. It becomes easier with time, trust me. And when I hear the alarm, I ask myself ... do I want to keep living the way I am, or slide back to what I used to be? The usually the answer is no, but there are times when I sleep in.

But here's what I do. I try to get to bed by 10pm and set my alarm for 4:10am. I usually need 1.5 hours at the gym, so this works for me.

But like I said, it gets easier with time.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The **ONLY** possible time I can work out now is in the morning. I wake up at 5:30am to work out each weekday. I have found for me, I just have to "do it." I do not allow myself to hit the snooze alarm, I do not allow myself to bargain with myself. I just don't think. I get on autopilot and just get out of bed. Chances are, if I hit the snooze or start making deals with myself I will end up turning the alarm off and not exercising.

I am not a natural morning exerciser - but I do find that once I am up and exercising I feel great. But, of course, there is not telling myself that when I am cozy in bed and that rude alarm goes off!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be going to a gym in the morning or just working out at home?

Because for me, I go to a gym, and then head straight to work after. I've found one of the most helpful things is that I have to pack all of my stuff (clothes, make up, hair dryer etc) the night before. it actually takes a bit of time, so if I end up not going the next morning, I feel bad about wasting all that time getting my stuff together for no reason! Kind of silly, but it really works for me!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I used to believe I could never do a morning workout. What I have to do is when the alarm clock goes off, I am up. No lying there debating anything or saying 5 more minutes. Once I am up and moving, then I am good to go. I find that if I have that mental debate of whether not my bed is better than working out, I would choose my bed, but then regret it. To avoid those regrets, I get up and get moving. Also, I make sure I get to bed at a reasonable hour so that I don't feel super excited.

Just think how much you will regret that workout and by the time you actually get out of bed, you could have gotten your workout in.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If you can find a buddy, it really helps. Many mornings where I wanted to stay in bed I got up because I knew my friend would be pissed off if I stood her up. No buddy, find some kind of accountability system, like announcing to facebook or all your co-workers that you WILL be getting up to exercise or you will pay them 5 dollars.

Once you do it for a while, the habit of getting up will get stronger. I still want to stay in bed, but I get up all on my own now. ; )

One note, though- lack of sleep can really derail weight loss, not to mention make you feel like crap, so make sure you can get a reasonable bedtime! You can do it!
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Chocolate protein shake and a workout DVD that takes about 20 minutes, like the 30-day shred.

The workout is short. "I can do twenty minutes!"

Then after the workout = REWARD! The frothy chocolate shake! Nice hot shower, makeup and hair, and my day is on the right track.

~ Whoo hoo! Mission accomplished.
  • zooles
    zooles Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you can find a buddy, it really helps. Many mornings where I wanted to stay in bed I got up because I knew my friend would be pissed off if I stood her up. No buddy, find some kind of accountability system, like announcing to facebook or all your co-workers that you WILL be getting up to exercise or you will pay them 5 dollars.

Once you do it for a while, the habit of getting up will get stronger. I still want to stay in bed, but I get up all on my own now. ; )

One note, though- lack of sleep can really derail weight loss, not to mention make you feel like crap, so make sure you can get a reasonable bedtime! You can do it!