Just weaned My one year old...

Options
I stopped breastfeeding 72 hours ago and every Monday I weigh in, in the morning after I breastfeed, go to the bathroom and am naked......so Now with next Monday looming I think my weight might not show the true fat loss b/c my breasts are adjusting to stopping milk production. Has anyone been through this? When should my milk adjust and be out of production :)?

Replies

• dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    It does not take long. But be warned. When I stopped breastfeeding I continued to eat the way I was before. Keep in mind, I was not trying to lose weight at the time. I put on 7 pounds in a week!! A few of my friends have experienced the same thing. Don't get discouraged. You' body will adjust, you might have to lower your calories if you want to continue to lose. I just someone had told me!
  • micnic
    micnic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can't remember with my first son how long it took for my milk to dry up but I don't think too long. My soon-to-be 23 month old (2nd son) is still breastfeeding :huh: and I can't seem to get him off. Of course, he does not nurse but at bed time still so my production has decreased quite a bit already. But, do be aware, like the previous poster said, about eating the same amount and gaining weight. You should have been eating about 200 extra calories to compensate for the breastfeeding. If you cut that out, you should be fine. Good luck to you!
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have been through this 4 times. I did not find that I gained or than a pound or 2, and of course it comes off as the milk is reabsorbed. SInce your child is a year I assume that they are on a partial solid diet anyways. I found the longer I nursed the sooner my milk dried up. I hope that makes sense. The longest took 2 weeks to dry up with one of my kids, but it was usually done in a few days to a week.

Don't worry about it. It will just make for a good loss later if you have a bit of a gain in the next week or 2.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    :smile: I just weaned my son in February - It only takes about a week maybe two for your body to stop the milk production - or at least drastically reduce it. I noticed a difference right away - my weight loss picked up dramatically after I quit nursing - mostly because I wasn't afraid about eating enough to maintain my supply, but I also think the hormones you have while nursing have a lot to do with it too. Good Luck hopefully you will see good results
  • heather_boyd
    Options
    Not to scare you, but it took my breasts a long time to stop production all together and they NEVER went back to their pre-pregnancy size (or anything resembing that).
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    I weaned my first at 19 months and I was two months pregnant with my second so it never really went away (I could express some through the pregnancy) My second is 16 months and still nursing about 3 times a day. I think it all depends on how much you were producing, if you didn't stop cold turkey (like from 6-8 feedings a day to nothing) and did it gradually or went from 1-2 feeds to none at all your production was probably pretty low to start with. I don't think you will notice a dramatic difference on the scale unless like others said you keep eating like you were when you were nursing. If your little one was only nursing a couple times there will probably only be a few ozs in them anyways and wouldn't show up on a scale (unless you have a detailed one) theres probably no way your BM would make a Lb or 1/2 lb difference. As far as drying up, you might not be surprised to be able to express milk months from now, even though you may only have an oz or so in them.
  • sechmanojo
    sechmanojo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your examples and advice! This is my 3rd baby that I am weaning, however, I have never been on a role like this with my weight loss, I have never paid attention to if I gained after I weaned the first two boys. Also, I did slowly wean. Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
  • sechmanojo
    sechmanojo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thanks! That Helped!