Porridge perseveranc..

Options
Please help me, i HATE porridge. It seems to be the best way for anyone to start their day and i just cannot eat it! I've tried every way i could think of, with fruit, with sweetner.... i've tried it thick and runny... I just cannot stand the consistancy. Does anyone have any ideas to help me eat this magical fuel!? :sad:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Try Oat Bran Cereal instead of the rolled oats. It doesn't have that slimy consistency. It's fine grained, takes about two minutes on the stovetop.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    It's not magical and no one says you have to eat it. There are so many different things to eat for breakfast. Why do you feel you HAVE to eat porridge?
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    yeah, just have something similar that you enjoy. I never eat anything I dislike.
  • Cherry_star
    Cherry_star Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I ADORE porridge, can happily eat it thick and made with water! But when I was getting used to it, honey worked for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you have to like oatmeal porridge? I like it but if you don't, don't eat it. There's no rule that says you have to.
  • njhumphry
    Options
    You don't have to cook it. Have you tried the oats with milk on? With nuts/seeds/fruit added it's basically healthy museli.
    If you find it too dry you can soak it overnight. It will be softer but still without the glutenous texture porridge can sometimes have.
  • gymbunny27
    Options
    I just feel like i have to eat it because every fitness interview or article i read online always goes on about the benefit of porridge! I'm stuck in a breakfast rut at the moment. Greek yogurt with a sprinkle of granola. I need something else quick.....
  • murphette2
    murphette2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat Oatmeal try this.... Mix 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup frozen fruit (mango, strawberry, ect) 1 egg, and a sprinkle of cinnamon in a coffee cup and microwave for 2 minutes. YUM!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat things I hate. It makes me happy.
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Are you talking Porridge or Oatmeal?

There is a big difference between the two, they're not interchangeable terms.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    If you don't like something, don't eat it.

Unless somebody is forcing you to eat it. :noway:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Please help me, i HATE porridge. It seems to be the best way for anyone to start their day and i just cannot eat it! I've tried every way i could think of, with fruit, with sweetner.... i've tried it thick and runny... I just cannot stand the consistancy. Does anyone have any ideas to help me eat this magical fuel!? :sad:

You're not alone, I can't stand it either! I've had it made for me by lots of kind people who were sure that I'd just LOVE it the way they (or their mum) made it - and I didn't. It's the consistency that turns me off as well (I hate cooked mushrooms & shellfish/ squid-y things for the same reason)

There's nothing magic about porridge - if you don't like it you don't have to eat it. I have bran flakes with a bit of milk and a piece of fruit for breakfast. You have what you want to have! :drinker:

*edited typo*
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's not magical and no one says you have to eat it. There are so many different things to eat for breakfast. Why do you feel you HAVE to eat porridge?

^ This.

breakfast foods are full of nutrients much better than oats.

Eggs & green shakes come to mind to start the day.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy the plain stuff so I mash up a banana with it (when I do eat it) or some berries. I also have dried fruit I make, and add a bit in there. Just watch out, dried fruit is small, so you want to eat more, but it's packed with calories too if you're not careful.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Have you tried baked oatmeal?

http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2011/11/tips-and-facts-for-making-baked-oatmeal.html

the consistency is quite different. Personally I really like oatmeal but NOT overnight oats though I know a lot of people love them.

My go-to breakfast is 50g oats + 250ml water served with a tablespoon of apple sauce and 100ml skimmed milk. It's pretty much all I eat.
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    I love porridge.. But they say the best thing to start your day with is protein (it turns your body into a fat burning machine all day) thinkin of having scrambled egg in the morning lol
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    yeah, just have something similar that you enjoy. I never eat anything I dislike.

^ EXACTAMUNDO!
  • EmiBun
    EmiBun Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bake it with less liquid.
    I make oat boats. Use ur favorite fruit purée!
    Then bake it(u can add sugar if u wish)
    And bake till firm!(in a ramekin or something at like 350f)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

What is the difference?

I just thought one was a US terminology one was more commonly used in the UK but completely interchangeable.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

What is the difference?

I just thought one was a US terminology one was more commonly used in the UK but completely interchangeable.

That's what I thought too!