Are body weight exercises enough?

Options
I don't have access to a gym and I wanted to do some resistance/strength. I haven't exercised since September and I want to get back on track. Before I did squats, push ups, etc. and then started holding dumbbells when those got easier, but now I'm wondering if I should do something else. I don't have money to buy a bunch of equipment either, so I suppose the question is moot. I was just wondering if body weight + dumbbells are enough to make a difference. Before I had a lot more weight to lose and was fairly strict with my diet. Now I want to lose about 5-10 lbs. How many reps/sets should I do?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    weighted pistol squats and handstand pushups , one arm pullups?
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have to work up to those. :blushing: So body weight exercises are effective for fat loss then? How many reps/sets are good?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Google "You are your own gym" and I think you will find the info you are looking for :)

Also Nerdfitness has a decent workout that only uses body weight I believe.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Pilates and yoga are great.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You obviously have access to the internet, so why not try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred on Youtube? No equipment--well, they do use small hand weights, but I get away with just using a pair of water bottles or can of vegetables. It's a really great workout.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Its entirely possible to get into shape just using your body weight. Although a used set of dumbbells would be extremely useful.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are good up to a certain extent but at some point, as the exercises get easier, you will just be training for muscular endurance..

If you want the exercises to get progressively more difficult and focus on strength gains I would look into

Convict Conditioning

You Are Your Own Gym
  • davesurf20
    davesurf20 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Google 'insanity workout', follow for 60ish days, then come back and tell us what you think!
  • doneatfour
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'll look into those videos. I do have dumbbells so hopefully I'll be good for a while.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Google "You are your own gym" and I think you will find the info you are looking for :)

Also Nerdfitness has a decent workout that only uses body weight I believe.

I have a friend that has done both and seen results. Recommend both of these.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Enough for what? That's the question. Body weight exercises can be great, but if you're trying to be, say, an Olympic lifter, it's obviously not the correct approach. You need to know what you're trying to accomplish before you can ask if this is "enough".
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have to work up to those. :blushing: So body weight exercises are effective for fat loss then? How many reps/sets are good?

nope. diet is for fat loss.

body weight exercises can make you stronger and help preserver muscle mass though.
  • doneatfour
    Options
    Oh, I suppose a common goal: to shape up or (dare I say it) "tone". I don't aim for defined muscles, maybe later. For now I just want to minimize the effects of gravity and look less flabby. Maybe have a flatter stomach, rounder butt, lifted breasts. I just read all the time about heavy lifting that it makes it seem like body weight isn't good enough. Makes me wonder if it is a waste if time and I should be doing more cardio instead.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Oh, I suppose a common goal: to shape up or (dare I say it) "tone". I don't aim for defined muscles, maybe later. For now I just want to minimize the effects of gravity and look less flabby. Maybe have a flatter stomach, rounder butt, lifted breasts. I just read all the time about heavy lifting that it makes it seem like body weight isn't good enough. Makes me wonder if it is a waste if time and I should be doing more cardio instead.

I think body weight exercises would be fine based on your goals. Just remember that even with body weight exercise, you have to always be progressing. Once you can do say, 3 sets of 20 or 25 of a particular exercise, you probably need to be moving to a harder exercise and not decide it's "good enough". This type of progression is one of the primary keys to successful strength training.
  • doneatfour
    Options
    Thanks everyone!