BMI Scales

♥Faerie♥
♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I just bought scales that measure weight, and also BMI, body fat, body water, and muscle mass. How accurate do you guys think scales like this are?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    BMI and weight should be very accurate, the other meters probably within 5%, hard to get accurate measures of BF%.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Wow, then I guess that is good news for me, WAY lower than what I had originally thought I was....
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Scales that measure body fat work by sending a very small current through you, from one foot to the other, and measuring how long it takes to get round (the current will move at different speeds depending on if it's moving through muscle/fat etc). Measures like this will be more accurate if you have slightly wet feet when you step on the scales as it makes the contact to the scales better.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    interesting, I will have to try that, see if I get a different result..
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    What scale is this??

My husband has been asking me to buy a scale but I keep putting it off. My gym has an old scale that I love and I am afraid that the two won't match up. My last scale at home was a good 8 lbs off from the one at the gym!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Just type in BMI scales in google search. I bought mine from Amazon, they have quite a few on there. I am in love with it so far, the weight is completely accurate, but I was wondering about the BMI.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    From the research I did before I bought my scale, it appeared that a scale that uses strain gauge technology (as opposed a a spring system) was most accurate. That's what I purchased (Eat Right brand -- under $30) and have been extremely happy with it.

I am still extremely skeptical of bioimpedance body fat scales. I just see too much variability. We have one of the most expensive models at my work and it is off by 5+% for me--overestimates my FFM by about 26 pounds. I did a lot of research on body fat scales as well before I bought my digital, but was never satisfied with the accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.