when unsure of calorie amount?

Options
So today I went to lunch with friends and we had mexican. I had the chicken taco salad (shredded chicken, cheese,lettuce,tomatoes and a small amount of sour cream) I also had some of the chips but I have no idea the caloric amount. How do you guys usually handle this situation when logging in diary?

Replies

• bonjovi27
    bonjovi27 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I'm completely lost for calories/amounts, I try to find something similar to it in the MFP database. Hope this helps!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Yeah, either do like bonjovi suggests, or just input the ingredients one by one.
  • randaswilson
    Options
    have a short panic attack. it kills me not knowing calories
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    for chips at a mexican place i usually just log tostitos restaurant style
    if the restaurant isnt in the database, i look for a similar one.. (like, azteca or ixtapa instead of a local place)
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ball park it with similar foods. 50-100 calories either way won't kill you if you still finish at or near your goal. It's just 1 meal.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I Googled "nutritional information for tortilla chips" and here's what comes up.
    For the above example I get 1 ounce = 138 calories on one website and 137 calories = 1 ounce so I can feel pretty confident that it's close. Then you need to be honest about how many you ate when entering your calories in MFP.

Then I Googled "nutritional information for chicken taco salad" and got 400 calories at one site and 900 calories for another, and 1300 at another site. If you ate the fried taco shell it came in then that's easily 250+ calories right there. But if you ate a small salad, didn't pile on the sour cream and guacamole, focused on eating the lettuce and tomatoes, then it might just be at the 400 calories end of the scale but I doubt it.

I will ALWAYS overestimate my calories when in doubt, and sometimes do the calories by entering each individual ingredient. It is eye-opening if nothing else.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    estimate.

One meal ins't going to kill you.