Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't eat past 20:30 but that doesn't work for everybody
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Are you really more likely to lose weight if you dont eat past 8pm?Thoughts

More likely...probably...If you're over weight and you stop eating after 8 and it drives you under your energy expenditure then you'll lose weight. Does it have anything to do with time? No. I know plenty of thin people who eat at any hour. I know plenty of over weight people who stop before that. I say if you're hungry, and it's because you didn't get enough food that way, eat. This is not like magic, Cinderella doesn't "lose" her weight at midnight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637094-cinderella-s-weight-loss-knowledge
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after 7. I'm sure it doesn't make to big of a difference but just me being me I don't eat after 7 right now if I can help it. Of course if I'm out I do but if I'm home I don't.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    After a designated deadline, a magical fat fairy appears, waving a wand to transform all calories into fat. It's a trap!
    It's 8:45 pm here and I'm just finishing off almost a full pound of tilapia - oh noezzzz!

As far as the OP - meal timing is completely irrelevant unless it makes you uncomfortable or you have binging issues when eating late at night. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day and if you're maintaining a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter what time you eat it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    After a designated deadline, a magical fat fairy appears, waving a wand to transform all calories into fat. It's a trap!
    It's 8:45 pm here and I'm just finishing off almost a full pound of tilapia - oh noezzzz!

As far as the OP - meal timing is completely irrelevant unless it makes you uncomfortable or you have binging issues when eating late at night. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day and if you're maintaining a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter what time you eat it.
    It's alright, you're probably in a different time zone then the fat fairy.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    There is some truth to the myth that you shouldn't eat late at night but it's mainly directed at carbs. Before I go forward, I want to say that the amount of calories you eat in a day matters over everything else. I've posted links and quotes below to what I feel explains this topic the best.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/498071-how-eating-carbs-at-night-affects-the-growth-hormone/
    The anterior pituitary gland in the brain secretes growth hormone in several pulses, about 85 percent of which occur while you are sleeping. This growth hormone helps facilitate tissue repair, increase breakdown of stored fat and maintain blood glucose. Growth hormone secretion is especially prominent in children and adolescents, who are undergoing rapid growth and development, but it decreases thereafter in adulthood. Too much or too little growth hormone can negatively impact your metabolism by disrupting the levels of other hormones and lead to an imbalance between tissue building and breakdown.
    Therefore, repeatedly eating carbohydrate-rich food immediately before going to sleep may impair growth hormone secretion during your deep-sleep phase. Additionally, your body is more resistant to the effects of insulin at night, meaning that you must produce more insulin to move a given amount of glucose to your body tissues. This may lead to even further suppression of growth hormone secretion.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm
    This recent study also confirmed earlier findings about the effects of fasting on human growth hormone (HGH), a metabolic protein. HGH works to protect lean muscle and metabolic balance, a response triggered and accelerated by fasting. During the 24-hour fasting periods, HGH increased an average of 1,300 percent in women, and nearly 2,000 percent in men.