What am I losing if not fat...?

Options
I started this whole thing over 2 weeks ago. I started at 168, and am now at about 160 ( Im 5"2' ).
Ive been doing 30 day shred and going to the gym ever 2 - 4 days for an hour, biking/walking with my dog.
Ive been following my TDEE.

How can it say i've lost almost 9lbs, but yet I see no differences on myself in the mirror or really in pictures, or on my measurements?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The first week probably a bunch of excess water weight.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    How disappointing :( ...
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Don't be disappointed. You've got to start somewhere!
  • Makoce
    Options
    I guess. But for some reason it makes me kind of want to give up.
    Ive seen so many people have amazing results within 15 days of 30 day shred around the same weight as me, and I have nothing to show for any of the work Im doing.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of fat built up also in humans on and between the internal organs, inestines, liver, etc. Losing this type of fat is extremely important for your health in an older age. You are off to a good start. My first week was also 7 lb and did not see anything. I did notice after about 12-13 lb and now I am really seeing it! Today my jeans came just off my butt as I tried to get out of the car lol. Rings I am now wearing on middle finger. It'll come, don't worry.
  • Makoce
    Options
    I really hope it does.
    I give up easy, really easy.
    And when I dont have anything to show for my effort, I get discouraged and quit.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I really hope it does.
    And when I dont have anything to show for my effort, I get discouraged and quit.

Then you probably ought to rethink your mindset about weight loss.

Because it's a long road ahead of you. You can't expect Biggest Loser results. Some weeks you'll lose, some weeks you might not. Your weight will go up and down. You'll have good days and bad days. You need to work on your expectations regarding your weight loss.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Guess I do need to rethink it.
    I mean, I know it's a hard road - but so many people on this site have such quick results.
    Im just the type of person who loves chips & junk food over disappointment, haha.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    I mean, I know it's a hard road - but so many people on this site have such quick results.
    Im just the type of person who loves chips & junk food over disappointment, haha.

I eat chips and junk food.

Still losing and not disappointed.

I just don't expect instant changes and I don't expect to lose 10lbs in a week.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I guess. But for some reason it makes me kind of want to give up.
    Ive seen so many people have amazing results within 15 days of 30 day shred around the same weight as me, and I have nothing to show for any of the work Im doing.

If you ask me if you're working hard and you're not seeing as much progress as everyone else chances are you're just in better shape...it's a good thing. If you're really really over weight and sedentary and you go to exercising regularly...they're the ones that drop weight the quickest. The lighter you are, the slower things go
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Then you probably ought to rethink your mindset about weight loss.

Because it's a long road ahead of you. You can't expect Biggest Loser results. Some weeks you'll lose, some weeks you might not. Your weight will go up and down. You'll have good days and bad days. You need to work on your expectations regarding your weight loss.

So true. It is a long and continuing process. Whenever you get to your "goal weight", you'll still have to work for it.
  • Makoce
    Options

I defiantly don't expect 10lbs in a week .. 1 - 2lbs would be nice. Hell, anything would be nice.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has fast results. I did 30 day shred twice in a row and stuck to my calorie goal EVERY day for those 2 months and I didn't lose my FIRST pound until the 4th week in. Not a single pound. Not a single inch. I kept with it though, wanna know why? Because if I quit I 100 percent would not get to my goals. Time passes either way, may as well just keep with it and eventually the results will come. They will. It's a mathematical certainty as long as you're doing what you need to do. Time passes whether you start today or if you quit. A year from now, you'd wish you'd started today.
  • LoraF83
    Options

I defiantly don't expect 10lbs in a week .. 1 - 2lbs would be nice. Hell, anything would be nice.

Like the 9lbs you lost?
  • Makoce
    Options
    But from what Im getting, its just water, no real fat burn.
    I fight with a binge eating disorder, its easy to give up, that's all
  • albertasis
    albertasis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Think of it as an Investment :) It takes time to reap the benefits of the effort you've put into, but instead of the amount of effort you put into your body, it's how OFTEN you do it.

The keyword is CONSISTENCY, not much of the INTENSITY. Just keep on putting the same effort every day, you can do it :D

Best way to measure results is in the long run, like 2 - 3 months time. I've been to 3 yo-yo diets and it's the same every time, the reason I fail, is because I was not CONSISTENT.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It's sometimes hard to turn down delicious extra calories now when the reward seems distant and uncertain. But you will lose weight if you eat at a sensible deficit. It has to happen. Maybe not as fast or consistently as you'd like, but it will happen.

It also might keep you motivated if you concentrate not only on the scale but on being able to work out longer or lift more, or run faster, or not get out of breath as fast, and in general try to notice any mood boost you get from exercise and eating better.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I really hope it does.

My first week on here I didn't lose and have had many other set backs. Your loss is not always linear or makes any sense. If you want it badly enough you will stick with it. Patience and persistence are the key to losing the weight. You can't let day to day things affect your focus on your long term goal.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You have to consider that 9 lbs over your entire frame won't necessarily be easy to spot. One of the best ways to track it is to use a tape measure to check your measurements every couple of weeks. My measurements showed a difference before my eyes did.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    But from what Im getting, its just water, no real fat burn.
    I fight with a binge eating disorder, its easy to give up, that's all

Everyone loses water weight in the beginning.

And if you are struggling with an ED, maybe you should talk to a professional about that?