Today marks four weeks on MFP - Just a tad frustrated

Options
Hi all! This is my first post here on the boards.

I've been sick with the flu for over a week, and am just now feeling well, so keep this in mind when answering.

I had no appetite for several days in the past week, and ate very little. I have stayed within 1200 calories for the rest of the four weeks, with only a few days going slightly over. I was working out almost daily when I got sick. I was losing steadily.

I weighed myself day before yesterday, and it showed 208. My starting weight was 219, so 11 lbs in four weeks makes me happy! I was excited to weigh in today...and it shows 213. I am not pre-menstrual. I did not eat a bunch of salty foods.

Can anyone talk me off the ledge here? I was so excited, and this just really discouraged me. I have upped my water intake today, and will weigh again on Sunday, but this kind of set back is what makes me give up trying to lose all this weight.

Replies

• CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't weigh so often. Maybe once a week? My weight fluctuates like that, too, even on days that I don't change anything. It feels disappointing but it really isn't as bad as it seems.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You lost extra fluid when you had the flu. Now that you're better, you gained that fluid back. It's normal.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You only eat 1200 calories?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You were probably suffering from dehydration.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It seems as if you are obsessing with the scale. Whatever you do, do not let the scale get the best of you! You shouldn't weigh in more than once a week. If you do, the scale will drive you crazy! Just have patience. You didn't gain it all in 1 month and you are not going to lose it all in a month. Keep your chin up!
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It's just a couple pounds. Celebrate the 11 pounds you lost thus far. You will gain and lose through the journey. So step off the ledge and give yourself some credit; especially since you have been sick.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Also -- 7 pounds in 4 weeks is much more realistic number to expect than 11 pounds in 4 weeks. I don't know what you goals are set to, but at most you'd be losing 2 pounds per week, not more -- so yeah. Dehydration and probably too much time on the scale.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi all! This is my first post here on the boards.

I've been sick with the flu for over a week, and am just now feeling well, so keep this in mind when answering.

I had no appetite for several days in the past week, and ate very little. I have stayed within 1200 calories for the rest of the four weeks, with only a few days going slightly over. I was working out almost daily when I got sick. I was losing steadily.

I weighed myself day before yesterday, and it showed 208. My starting weight was 219, so 11 lbs in four weeks makes me happy! I was excited to weigh in today...and it shows 213. I am not pre-menstrual. I did not eat a bunch of salty foods.

Can anyone talk me off the ledge here? I was so excited, and this just really discouraged me. I have upped my water intake today, and will weigh again on Sunday, but this kind of set back is what makes me give up trying to lose all this weight.

Even if you only lost 6 lbs in 4 weeks that is pretty good, but the reality is that your body weight fluctuates daily and you should always weigh in the morning after going to the bathroom. That will be most accurate. Stick with it and you will see results.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Get used to this happening, and don't let it set you back. It's not a set back unless you allow it to be. (Everyone else already explained why it happened.)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Being sick messes with you. I started my journey in January after having influenza for a week. I lost 5 pounds puking the first couple days, then was just not hungry. My first thought when I started feeling better was, "what the heck, your stomach is a little shrunk up from not eating so this is a good time to go for it." I knew that the initial weight loss was water and as I re-hydrated I would gain that back, but I kept up with the exercise and limiting my eating and also eating more healthy options. I have been slowly and steadily losing and after 6 weeks I'm starting to really see a difference. So...my advice, shrug it off and move forward, it is always worth it!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! I've lost 10 pounds in 7 weeks and I'm thrilled.
    What's the big rush? Just keep going and you'll get where you want to be.
    Why on earth give up? Giving up will certainly keep you going in the wrong direction.
    Really, who cares how slow the loss is as long as you keep going down and getting fit and healthy at the same time?
  • samzchevy
    samzchevy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was getting obsessed with the scale-- I ended up moving it to another room that I dont go into everyday--This lessened my temptation to weigh, I also weighed almost everyday and got frustrated because it would show a lose one day and a 3lb gain the next...UGH.....
  • heyyoudontgiveup
    heyyoudontgiveup Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh more than once a week, use physicsdiet to keep a track to see the trend your weight is taking instead of getting upset every day. It will help you watch where your weight is going as opposed to where it is.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My loss was 4.5-5 pounds a month. But 7 months of that worked just fine.
  • dittmk
    Options
    Someone reminded me recently - "I took you years to get this big, you can't expect to get smaller overnight". And that's great advice and a great reminder. I weigh myself every morning as part of my routine and some days I weigh less, sometimes more... and I remind myself that I am on this journey for myself and although it's not going to take as many years to get healthy as it took to get to this unhealthy point - it won't happen tomorrow. So I celebrate myself every day and say "Great job yesterday keeping your eyes on your goal. Today is another day to do just that. And if I fail today - so what? It doesn't mean I'll fail tomorrow!"
  • ClaireBoe
    ClaireBoe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I am definitely not obsessed with the scale. I only weigh once a week, normally, but was curious to see what effect the flu had on me. When I weighed in this morning, I had lost four of those five pounds, so my loss for four weeks was 10.2 lbs. I don't expect the losses to continue at that pace, and that's okay. Hopefully, in the next few days I can hit the gym again, since it's been two weeks since this sickness started and I haven't felt well enough to go.

Again, thanks for the input.