Just finished Insanity... uphappy with results. What next?

Hi all!

I've mainly been lurking through the message boards but have just decided to join in after finishing Insanity.

After a grueling 2 months, unfortunately, i didn't get the results that I was hoping for. I've definitely improved my cardio but I didn't really any physical results except for huge thighs/calves.I wasn't really looking to lose weight, although I'm happy to lose about 5, but really wanted to burn fat and get a flat stomach and toned overall.

I'm 5'4", female in my mid-20s, weigh about 115-120 lbs, and work a desk job. I'm really disappointed because I thought I was eating really healthy. I've been eating around 1500-1700 calories a day. I got lazy with Calorie Counter during the last few weeks but I believe mid-December to mid-January is pretty filled in. I really pushed myself hard for probably the first 7 weeks of the program because by the end I was just too achy.

Has anyone been in a similar situation to myself? Didn't have much too lose and didn't really get the noticeable results? I'm thinking maybe a high interval program isn't what I should be looking at. I was looking at either CHAlean or P90x. Leaning towards CHAlean because I can see myself getting annoyed by Tony. Do you guys think moderate cardio and resistance training is better suited for someone with stubborn fat but is within their ideal weight?

I was thinking of cutting back my calories by a couple hundred? The only time I've ever really changed my body when I cut back about 400 calories but that just doesn't seem like a long term solution, and I like food too much.

I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    You probably did fine. Insanity is a great workout, but is only two months. Rome wasn't built in two months. Pick a longer term strategy and use that for the next several months/years/decades
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    You probably did fine. Insanity is a great workout, but is only two months. Rome wasn't built in two months. Pick a longer term strategy and use that for the next several months/years/decades

Listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Huge thighs and calves? Pictures please.

lift heavy would be my advice.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    You should keep your caloric intake about the same and focus on weights. With little body fat, you shouldn't be assuming huge deficits and should be eating very close to maintenance level.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    I have done all three programs. If you are looking for body recomposition, go with either P90X or ChaLean. Both programs incorporate weight training. If you have any questions about any of the programs and my experience with them, please ask. :)
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    5'4 and 115 lbs- I'm sure your thighs are monsterous. Seriously girl- at that weight and height you need to think about lifting some weights if you want a "toned" look. Lift heavy and I bet you get that look that you are aiming for.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    5'4 and 115 lbs- I'm sure your thighs are monsterous. Seriously girl- at that weight and height you need to think about lifting some weights if you want a "toned" look. Lift heavy and I bet you get that look that you are aiming for.

THIS ^

Seriously, get lifting. Although 115 isn't my goal weight, I sure wish I was closer to mine. I bet you had amazing results - start lifting - maybe incorporate 30 Day Shred into your cardio/weight lifting regime, after 30 days are done, incorporate something else.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Huge thighs and calves? Pictures please.

I'd love huge thighs and calves
  • Okay, maybe huge is an overstatement but they have definitely gotten big enough to the point where my skinny jeans don't fit anymore!

You guys are probably right about lifting. My cardio is great but my strength has always been lacking even though I use to take pump classes about 2-3 times a week before insanity. My main problem area is my stomach. Would weights really help with that? And should I be lifting heavy or just add more resistance in general. This obviously isn't a good excuse but I only have light hand weights! Of course ill go buy some if heavy is the way to go though. Also I thought that I would need to burn the fat to get a flat stomach, not gain more muscle with lifting?

Thanks for the input guys!
  • lisa4you143
    lisa4you143 Posts: 49 Member
    I think if you want to get toned overall you should try p90x.. I did it for about two months straight and definitely saw results in my arms, abs, thighs, hips... pretty much everywhere. Trust me I had a belly and it went down significantly with doing p90x and a healthy diet. In the past I was a cardio junkie and once I tried p90x I realized what people were talking about when they say how strength training is just as important as cardio. I ordered turbo fire from beachbody and HATED it! It's all cardio and the moves were way too difficult/intense. In regards to Tony, I love him! Lol he has a good energy and is silly but if you get annoyed just mute it and listen to music instead! The good thing about it is after a week you pretty much know the moves and don't have to pay close attention to be able to do it right. I just restarted the lean version this week (I stopped for a while and gained some of it back :sad: ) so if you decide to do it you should add me and we can encourage each other to keep going. Good luck!
  • Okay, I've been convinced! I'll definitely embark on a strength training program next. I just looked up the equipment for P90x and am worried that I'm not at a level to start that program. I think the pull up bar is throwing me off! Would you say CHAlean is a better start for someone who really isn't all that strong?
  • lisa4you143
    lisa4you143 Posts: 49 Member
    Okay, I've been convinced! I'll definitely embark on a strength training program next. I just looked up the equipment for P90x and am worried that I'm not at a level to start that program. I think the pull up bar is throwing me off! Would you say CHAlean is a better start for someone who really isn't all that strong?

NO! Not at all... I started p90x so out of shape. I bought the pull up bar and have never even taken it out of the box. All you really need are the bands because they will show you how to get the same results without the bar. Don't think that you won't get as good of a workout with the bands because you still will be so so sore. I think I bought my p90x on amazon and they gave me an option to add the bands for just a little more. I've never really looked into Chalean.. I've heard people talk about it but honestly I get a full body workout from doing p90 and then I try to add additional cardio on weekends to burn more fat. Also with p90 you can chose to do the lean version, classic, or doubles or even mix it up depending on your fitness level. I always do lean because I feel like that's the easiest one :) If I wasn't so disappointed with turbo fire I would think about ordering one of the other beachbody programs but I just don't want to waste my money like I did with turbo fire.
  • Huge thighs and calves? Pictures please.

lulz. squat heavy thats all you need to do
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member

I bought the pull up bar and have never even taken it out of the box. All you really need are the bands because they will show you how to get the same results without the bar.

NOTHING will substitute for the pull up bar. You will NOT get the same results with bands. You might be working similar muscles. But I would def. get the pull up bar and work on those pull ups. Start with negative ones and work your way up! It is worth all the pain, even if it is difficult.
  • I might skip the bar. I mean I can't even start at negative pull ups because I can't do those either!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    I might skip the bar. I mean I can't even start at negative pull ups because I can't do those either!

Complain about not getting results yet you don't want to commit to doing the work. Tough road ahead of you I suspect if you try having both worlds, something has to give or you will be stuck in the same spot.
  • Dawid83
    Dawid83 Posts: 8 Member
    When the beachbody convention has left the room :wink: , why not give Rushfit a shot.

You only need two dumbells and you still get to do your own cardio on cardio days.

I've completed body revolution (and a few others), but have seen far better results from doing Rushfit.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    I would love to give P90X a trial but our walls will not be able to hold up a bar, I'm sure :laugh: :laugh:
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    I sort of had the same experience. I thought I would lose more weight my first time around but only lost 8lbs. But then when I looked at the before and after pictures I noticed a huge difference. After Insanity I went right into Asylum and thats where I saw much better results. It is still a real intense program but more all around and incorporates stregnth training into the program. But I think the majority of people will say most results from Insanity come from doing more than 1 round.