I cheated... again

Options
I always feel really really bad after I cheat with my eating. Some days I just cannot help myself! Do any of you guys ever cheat and if you do, how do you get past the feeling of beating yourself up about it? And also, when you cheat do you make up for it somehow or just keep eating normally after that?

Thanks

Replies

• ashaa7
    ashaa7 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm in the same position. The biggest thing is to stop now and not ruin the rest of your day/ week/ etc. Just start brand new again tomorrow and remember no one's perfect :)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I cheat probably at least once or twice a week! Today it was a box of chocolate in the staff lounge at work. I feel bad too, but everyday is a new day and as long as you are trying to do better thats all that matters :flowerforyou:

edited to say: I'm making up for cheating today by doing zumba first thing tomorrow morning
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, it's good to know that I'm not the only one :) Should i undereat tomorrow though? Or just keep going with my normal calorie intake?
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I read that one post "In Place of a Road Map" and learned not to be too torn up when I have a "cheating" day.. as long as at least 4 low calories days follow then you will be moving in the downwards direction no matter what, albeit a little bit slower than you might have originally liked.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Join the club. I blew my calories by atleast 1500-2000 today, but I don't regret it. It doesn't happen often, so I just enjoy it while it lasts. Back to the regularly scheduled programming tomorrow
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I cheat and feel bad. We all do. But don't keep cheating bc u feel like u might as well since u already did. After that cheat get right back to the program. Don't wait til Monday or the next day get right back into the swing of things. Good luck =) I kno it's hard. I just started a month ago and everyday is a struggle and a challenge but it also gets easier everyday!
  • FitBlackChick
    Options
    I cheated with chocolate too! Thanks so much for responding :)
  • llbarker
    llbarker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just take it one meal/snack at a time. Maybe I messed up on one meal or snack or I know I am going out with friends a couple nights a week... but if I ate well most of the day or the few days before or after I really don't sweat the one day I messed up.

With that said though, if I have a few days of lots of parties and get togethers then I hit the gym extra hard, for longer periods of time or combine a cardio class with an hour at the gym.
  • christine5791
    christine5791 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I probably cheat about once a week-week and a half....the willpower is slowly getting stronger.... for 3 months had a high school friend of mine that has a health coaching business in Toronto... and one of the biggest things she taught me is to not give up on me, and if I have a slip up to realize it's just that, end the splurge right there, and to NOT guilt myself. I found when that happened before when I would try to lose weight it would turn into a whole day event.... then a week and then it spiraled out of control with me always saying "Oh, I'll start back up tomorrow..." There were a LOT of tomorrows....
    Now I realize it's ok to slip, it's human nature but to have the control to stop after that one or two slip ups and start right back up...while not emotionally assaulting myself over it....
    So whatever you do just say, it's ok, I slipped and get back on the wagon so to speak.... these changes are about learnign how to live healthfully, forever...and there's always going to be events, parties and days we slip.... it's all about keeping those times of not so healthy intake in moderation...
    We're all here for you, kee up the great work! :smile:
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I cheated last night with chocolate, potato chips, molasses cookies, and something else I don't remember because I was half asleep. :ohwell: So today I got off my lazy butt and walked around the lake (something I usually don't do). Beating myself up about it only would have caused stress, which produces cortisol - or something that makes my stomach bigger. So I don't stress anymore!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have terrible eaters guilt!!!! Its almost a disorder I beat myself up so bad. I just try to do better the next day.
  • fuchsiasarah
    Options
    My $.02 worth is not to "undereat" tomorrow to make up for it--just go back to your usual goal. If you try to undereat, you'll end up extra hungry, so then you cheat again...well, at least that's what I do. :blushing: And that viscious cycle is one of the things I'm trying to stop doing.
  • laura0389
    Options
    I cheated with all the valentines day chocolate!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My guess is the number one cause for cheating on a diet is not eating enough calories each day/too large a calorie deficit.
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I feel like it is cheating only if you don't log it! I log absolutely everything, even if I eat not healthy foods (which is often). Then I know how much I have gone over my calorie limit and know how to balance it out during the next few days. That way you don't have to feel guilty about it.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it cheating. I consider it simply going over. I believe in eating what I truly want when I want it, but making every bite a decision. The trick is in the wanting. Is the chocolate or the cookie or whatever worth the calories? Do I want whatever it is more than I want to be as healthy as I can be? I strive to stay within my calories but if I don't make it one day I accept it as a choice and go forward. It's not work the guilt.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do feel bad if I cheated really bad. 1 burger or 1 cup of ice cream won't make me feel bad, but I do put in more effort to do better the rest of that day. If you cheat greatly or more than one meal at a time, it may be a sign of too few calories or too much stress.
    Maybe try writing in a journal about WHY you cheated...what emotions you felt before & after. You may also think of ideas to do next time you are tempted, either choosing a healthier option or eating less of the food(chocolate). Sometimes a healthy option just isn't what you want. I find this happens a lot when with friends and we're out eating or something unexpected happens. Whatever you do, just limit whatever it is you want to have. If you're going to cheat, make the decision, don't beat yourself up about, and control the portion size.
  • FitBlackChick
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone :)
  • Biitchstix
    Options
    I never log my food on Saturday (although I do still try my best to be reasonable with my eating and not go too crazy). It makes things allot easier to have a designated 'cheat day' where you can indulge a little bit and still feel like you're in control. It also helps cut down on food cravings throughout the week.

I chose Saturdays because I'm away from home 99% of the time and more likely to eat out. I also have my weigh in's on Friday and I didn't want my cheat day to conflict with that.
  • FitBlackChick
    Options
    Thanks for this, I feel so much better now :)