Ladies is it a faux pas

Options
MaryJane_8810002
MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
To wear eye shadow that matches your blouse? Some are telling me no while others are telling me yes.

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    That Ronald Mcdonald look is sexxxyyyy
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Too much IMO.
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    yeah choose something different but not clashy
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    YES, being matchy is very dated, dont' match your makeup to your clothes, your bag to your shoes, etc. Everything should go, not match.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. Hot pink shirt with hot pink makeup? No. Neutral shirt with neutral makeup? Yes.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Going within the same colour family can work (say, a navy shadow with a sky-blue shirt) can work, but exact matches will stick out like a sore thumb.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. Hot pink shirt with hot pink makeup? No. Neutral shirt with neutral makeup? Yes.

Agree with this. I tend to wear earth toned makeup when wearing earth-toned clothes - browns, mossy greens, ivory, silvers. I'm surely biased when critiquing myself, but I don't think it's too matchy.

But yes, with brighter colours I think the matchiness would be more obvious - like bright blues with bright blues, emerald green with emerald green, or hot pink as above. Maybe you want to go for that look and maybe you could rock it - but I wouldn't personally!
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    Mimi from the Drew Carey show matched it all the time and I thought she looked stunning 99% of the time.
  • Jubee31
    Jubee31 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Mimi from the Drew Carey show matched it all the time and I thought she looked stunning 99% of the time.

Haha, I second this.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    You face is not an accesorie
  • Foxxy18
    Foxxy18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Mint green top? Yeah, let's put on some mint green eyeshadow.
    Said no one ever.
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    nobody's talking about intensity or placement of shadow... i think there's a way to wear it and make it work. if you use the matching shadow as an accent or an eyeliner (with a neutral like taupe, ivory or grey over the rest of the lid), that can be really pretty and striking without being too much. also, if the shadow is a sheer version of the color (not opaque and painted-on like drew carey's mimi), you can get away with it over the whole lower part of the lid (though probably not above the crease).

personally, when i want my eye makeup to match my outfit, i like to do a neutral smoky eye, then use the color as either upper or lower eyeliner (usually not both at once; i'll do upper in the color and lower in a neutral, or vice versa)
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    nobody's talking about intensity or placement of shadow... i think there's a way to wear it and make it work. if you use the matching shadow as an accent or an eyeliner (with a neutral like taupe, ivory or grey over the rest of the lid), that can be really pretty and striking without being too much. also, if the shadow is a sheer version of the color (not opaque and painted-on like drew carey's mimi), you can get away with it over the whole lower part of the lid (though probably not above the crease).

personally, when i want my eye makeup to match my outfit, i like to do a neutral smoky eye, then use the color as either upper or lower eyeliner (usually not both at once; i'll do upper in the color and lower in a neutral, or vice versa)

This right here
  • cragen01
    cragen01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everything should go, not match.

Yep, I'm definitely a guy. That sentence made absolutely no sense to me. :P
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    You face is not an accesorie

I disagree with this.

But agree with the "everything should go, not match" statement. I typically just go with eye shadow that brings out the color of my eyes.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options

Yup. I agree with this completely.

I match my blouse with my eye shadow, but it is always very subtle. I wouldn't do red with red, for instance. Or green with green (unless I'm going to a sporting event). But I'll do a light purple-tinted smokey eye with a purple blouse.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I think it depends... I am slightly addicted to makeup, and while I appreciate a neutral look, if I am going through the trouble and spending the time putting on makeup, I want people to see it, not look natural. I do not just apply grey or black smokey eyes, I will do colors... So if I am going out wearing a purple dress or shirt, I will do a dark purple smokey eye or whatever. But I am one of those people who devours youtube makeup videos lol, and gorgeous makeup is what I am into for a night out. So it might be extreme for some people, but I enjoy how I can totally change my look simply by more or less makeup and the way it is applied (contouring, eyeliner, etc.). I know a lot of people who dont like "alot of makeup" but I DO and I dont care what others think, I dont think I ever look tacky, I base my makeup on the occassion. If you know how to apply and dont throw it on like clown makeup, go for it!

And yes, i have done a hot pink and purple look and I got a lot of compliments at the party I went to, again its all in how you apply it.

But on a daily basis, I dont really match my eye shadow to my shirt because I feel its too much for work or going to the grocery store, occasionally I will depending on what I am wearing (blue shirt= blue liner, brown pants= natural look, coral shirt= coral lipstick and blush...etc)

And I totally disagree that your face is not an accessory...
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

Because I don't think you should do it at all, ever. No need to try to make it work when something else looks better. Like if I'm wearing blue, I would do green or purple on my eyes. Not blue!
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I never knew that it even mattered. I'm not being sarcastic either.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on the color of the blouse.

Matching certain shades of blue is au currant.

Matching red is appalling. And scary.