Stepping into the weight room for the first time!

Options
I've decided to change my body composition and do something where I can see results better (ie: strength increases instead of pumping away at cardio haphazardly, hoping to wake up fit one day).
From prior advice on MFP I decided to go with The New Rules of Lifting For Women. I've got the book and read most of it and hope to start soon.

Questions:
Would it be advisable to pay for a session with a personal trainer to show me how to start and give advice on starting weights? I know the book says just go with something you think you can do for the number of reps but it's so abstract to me.. Or should I just wing it and maybe redo the first workout after I've figured out what I can handle in terms of weight? I'm worried about getting discouraged by getting off to a bad start, or possibly hurting myself.

I'm surprised I feel so nervous! I'm sure the first time will be the biggest hurdle and I won't be so intimidated after.

Wish me luck? Tell me your super awesome success stories with lifting? :D

& feel free to add me, esp if you are doing NROLFW too :)

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I've decided to change my body composition and do something where I can see results better (ie: strength increases instead of pumping away at cardio haphazardly, hoping to wake up fit one day).
    From prior advice on MFP I decided to go with The New Rules of Lifting For Women. I've got the book and read most of it and hope to start soon.

Questions:
    Would it be advisable to pay for a session with a personal trainer to show me how to start and give advice on starting weights? I know the book says just go with something you think you can do for the number of reps but it's so abstract to me.. Or should I just wing it and maybe redo the first workout after I've figured out what I can handle in terms of weight? I'm worried about getting discouraged by getting off to a bad start, or possibly hurting myself.

I'm surprised I feel so nervous! I'm sure the first time will be the biggest hurdle and I won't be so intimidated after.

Wish me luck? Tell me your super awesome success stories with lifting? :D

& feel free to add me, esp if you are doing NROLFW too :)

All of my weightloss was through lifting - you will be addicted once you start!

I think if you can get a good trainer to teach you the basic barbell lifts (press, bench, squat, deadlift, barbell row) you will be in excellent shape.

don't be nervous/intimidated have fun! Feel free to add - I always like friends that are lifting
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've heard it becomes an addiction. I hope it's this way for me too. I've always been scrawny and weak and soft. I want to be able to be like, "I can pick you over my head, no big deal." :P
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have been addicted for the better part of 11 years! I think you should approach it in a modest way. Wing it for a while, and if you get bit by the bug, resort to whatever resources you can find to maximize results and make your body recomp a success. As always, the community here will help!
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have an app called ipersonaltrainer, and based on your height, weight, and fitness level, it will create routines for you whether you are at home, at the gym, or on vacation, It shows you via video example how to lift, at what weight, and how many reps. You don't need to think about anything! I use it after a long day of studying, when my brain is fried and I can think no more.
  • jaztoderan
    Options
    I have an app called ipersonaltrainer, and based on your height, weight, and fitness level, it will create routines for you whether you are at home, at the gym, or on vacation, It shows you via video example how to lift, at what weight, and how many reps. You don't need to think about anything! I use it after a long day of studying, when my brain is fried and I can think no more.

That sounds awesome! Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check it out.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I have been addicted for the better part of 11 years! I think you should approach it in a modest way. Wing it for a while, and if you get bit by the bug, resort to whatever resources you can find to maximize results and make your body recomp a success. As always, the community here will help!

This^^

Any "weight loss" I have had came solely from combining lifting and cardio. I think with the resources you already have - internet, this forum, books you won't really need a personal trainer. You may want to observe how others are lifting or look into doing a workout video that incorporates lifting and cardio (e.g. 30 Day Shred) that will talk you through your form.

You know simple things like when doing squats, don't allow your knees to go over your toes..
  • jaztoderan
    Options
    I've done 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 so I know the basics of squats etc and I do yoga as well so hopefully I'm conscious enough of my body to not do any damage. The book also says women are more conscious in general and tend to have better form. Thanks for the advice! I'm excited :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I got a session with a trainer so that I didn't hurt myself with bad form.
    Best thing I ever did.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You know simple things like when doing squats, don't allow your knees to go over your toes..

When doing heavy barbell squats your knees should track out over your toes. Depending on the technique, whether you are using high bar olympic style squating, low bar powerlifter form, or front squat, your knees and back will be in different positions. Mark Rippetoe has some awesome videos on Youtube for coaching the big lifts. Check it out.

Here are a couple links to start...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8