- Displays calories
- Looks like a wristwatch
- Tells time
- Is waterproof
- Works underwater (while swimming)
- Can be worn all day
- Can sync / export to my PC
- Doesn't cost an arm and a leg

I know everybody seems to love the Polar ones, but the all seem to have straps, and I really can't see myself wearing a strap all day at work. Do the strapless models work as well? I also considered the Garmin Forerunner, but I've read some negative reviews on here that say they are inaccurate.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    I'll bump this once, just to give it one more shot.

If I have to narrow my criteria, that's fine.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    I do not think you will find a very accurate one without a chest strap. The strap gives the watch a continuous reading. With the watch only ones you have to push a button to record your heart rate and you need to do this quite often if you want to get a somewhat accurate reading. I have one with a chest strap and it is not uncomfortable. Hope this a helps a little.
  • vanzeem
    vanzeem Posts: 107
    I just bought one off of ebay. I haven't received it yet, so i'm not sure how good it'll be but I think i paid less than $10.00 for it. Ebay has a huge selection so that's where i'd start. You could always find one on there and then look up that specific one online to see reviews and such.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    I wore my polar chest strap all day at work once because I wanted to see how many calories I burned walking to and from work but I was too lazy to take the strap off while I was here :tongue: I forgot I had it on most of the day. It didn't bother me at all. Everyone said they were comfortable but I never thought the strap would be this comfortable.
    And you will definitely get a better reading with the chest strap than just the watch types.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Can these be used for swimming?
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    I believe my Polar FT7 is good up to 30 meters down in water so yes you can use it for swimming :)
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Just to add my $.02 - the Polar FT7 is good in water - you do have to send it in to have the batteries changed if you are using it in water. I seems to be really accurate. It doesn't sync up with the computer though. I'm not sure if you can get one that does or a program for it. Body Bugg is good, syncs up to the computer, but I don't know if it can be used in the water. Good luck! Oh, and the chest strap for the Polar is really not uncomfortable. I know it is there, but it isn't irritating, to me anyway!
This discussion has been closed.