Counting work as exercize?

Options
I work a local retail store where I do a lot of different task including standing at my lane ringing people up, walking all over the store, stocking shelves, etc. I do this 4-10 hrs a day, depending on the day. Right now I have my exercise level set to "Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)". To be honest when I am not at work I don't do much activity. I'm only trying to lose 10-15lbs.

Now, my question is, should I just leave everything as it is and not count the calories I burn at work or should I post them as exercise? For example should I make a exercise entry that says "work, burned X amount of calories?"

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Leave it as is.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You should leave it as it is. Your exercise is defined as "extra" things you do that aren't included in your daily routine. If you feel that lightly active doesn't give you enough calories and you work out several times a week, try changing it to a more active setting. Good luck! :)
  • dontdomornings92
    dontdomornings92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering because I've seen people post things such as "brushed teeth" or "light house cleaning" so I was wondering if I should include my work as exercise.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters. I mean, working in this position doing the things you do, got you to where you're at, correct? Wanting to lose 10-15lbs. So... I'd say no, dont change it. Keep it as is and see where it gets you! Good luck!!!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you had your activity level set at sedentary, I'd say log it as exercise. Since you have yours at lightly active, you're already logging the calories burned by those activities.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That light stuff doesn't burn as much as you think. It helps in the long run, but your body gets used to it and its not like its scorching away body fat. I would just count exercise. I don't count when I walk a lot at work or at the mall, I just feel better about myself at the end of the day knowing I probably took care of a little piece of my intake.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I roll my eyes at people logging mundane, day-to-day activities. Really?? Gettin' a great burn there, Miss Light Housekeeping! :noway:

Make it a real workout or keep it to yourself. :grumble:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Standing and walking and working r normal activities not exercise. No reason to consider them exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering because I've seen people post things such as "brushed teeth" or "light house cleaning" so I was wondering if I should include my work as exercise.
    Lol, people that do that are fooling themselves if they are counting brushing teeth as exercise. Maybe if you had a pet shark it would count.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I roll my eyes at people logging mundane, day-to-day activities. Really?? Gettin' a great burn there, Miss Light Housekeeping! :noway:

I don't do this but I don't see why it would bother you that other people do. Not exactly your problem.

As for the teeth brushing thing you might find that either it's an automatic MFP thing (eg when you choose walking it automatically posts that you were walking the dog) or it could also be a joke. I know sometimes I log stupid exercise just to amuse myself. So I'll go for a run but log it as 400 calories of cartwheels or something stupid. Why not. It's my weight loss journey.
  • RunningMannn
    Options

I agree 100%..Daily chores or a couple extra hours at work should not count. I walk my dog 7-15 miles a week and I don't count the calories..I did that before I started this workout program 2 months ago and it didn't keep the weight off..So why include it now in my calories burned total.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Nope. I work 10+ hours on my feet, in a pretty physical job. Lifting 25-35 kg is part of my job, and parts of it could be ousted as intense cardio. But I did these things at 230 pounds. Granted I can do my job a lot faster and better without so much extra weight, but no, I don't count it as exercise.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Leave it as is. I generally don't log any normal everyday activities because I did those same things when I gained weight, so I doubt they have any sort of extra magical calorie burn now that I'm tracking.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I log what i please as excercise because i dont eat those calories back. I eat bmr and have a lightly active job so log anything that isnt everyday normal. Noone has the right to tell anyone else what to post in their personal diary
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend moving your activity level to moderately active. The MFP settings of sedentary/lightly/moderately/etc are quite low. I have a desk job but manage a team of 40 so move around a while, and MFP gives me 2600 a day for moderately active, yet I generally burn about 3,200.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Someone logged brushing their teeth as exercise? I'm having an anger stroke right now.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of different task including standing, walking

I have my exercise level set to "Spend a good part of the day on your feet"

From the above, if you logged work, you'd be logging it twice.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Someone logged brushing their teeth as exercise? I'm having an anger stroke right now.
    Firstly, why do you care so much what somebody else doe? If they're getting results, what's it to you?
    Secondly, it's probably a joke. I logged 900 calories recently for "cooking meth". I actually worked my *kitten* off in a 55 min class and then did weights. What's it to ya?