instead of dessert after dinner...have an anxiety attack!

Options
ok, so anybody experience a panic/anxiety attack after eating? it's happened 4 times this week to me and i am beginning to think that there is something seriously wrong with eating.

Replies

• disnutt
    Options
    I've had them if I've eaten to the point where I feel I've stretched my stomach capacity too much. Like after a Thanksgiving dinner or if I try to get too much fluids along with my meal. If my breathing feels impaired at all by my overeating I will have anxiety/panic attacks. I was also having panic attacks the last couple of winters on days that were really overcast. I finally went to my doctor this past Fall and she said I probably have Seasonal Affective Disorder. I got a light box and take a small dose of Lexapro daily. I haven't had a full blown attack all winter.

Are you drinking caffeine (coke, coffee) with your meals? That might be contributing.

The post-meal anxiety could also be the start of some kind of disordered eating.

Try eating smaller meals, cutting out caffeine to see if that helps. If not, get to the doctor to make sure it isn't an anxiety related issue like SAD or an oncoming eating disorder.