how did you get rid of diet soda?

Options
I'm the one who drinks soda when she could drink water, tea.etc.

I do have water, but soda is my life.

I have tried and failed and failed and tried. I just cant let it go :(

Replies

• mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try switching to sparkling water with a little freshly-squeezed fruit juice in?
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Try switching to sparkling water with a little freshly-squeezed fruit juice in?

I do this! In fact last night. I have a few liter bottles in the frige of seltzer water. About 75% seltzer to 25% juice. And if the juice needs sweetened a bit like grapefruit, just add touch of honey. (nuke the honey for 5 seconds 1st) And just like fresca! only better. I am not looking to lose weight. Gain actually. But I try to eat clean. And it would help anyone wanting to lose weight that drinks soda already. Your sugar won't spike. And if you like fizzy drinks, it will do the trick.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this:

http://voices.yahoo.com/10-toxic-reasons-not-drinking-soda-pop-8386119.html

I'm of the persuasion that one every once in awhile is not going to hurt you but if you have an addiction def check the above out.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I gave up a nasty diet coke habit in 2005...i just decided it was not good.. I lost 13 pounds in like a month...
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey. I also gave up those cold bottled coffee/milk drinks, Snapple, juice, lemonade, etc. Now the only things I drink on a regular basis are water, black coffee, and skim milk. Very rare exceptions are things like a glass of champagne on a special occasion.
    It was hard for the first two days but after that I haven't missed any of it. If you like coffee or tea you might try substituting those (black) if your preferred diet soda has caffeine. Also keep ibuprofen or tylenol around to deal with the headaches. Exercise can also help give you energy and take your mind off obsessing over the diet coke (or whatever) you would normally be drinking. Good luck!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water with a wedge of lemon and/or lime... so refreshing!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Sparking water is definitely the best way to try and help wean you off the pop. Don't buy pop or keep it in your home, to help remove the temptation of drinking it.
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey. Haven't had any soda since last November. My husband, who would drink it upon waking and all day long, has reduced it to a few cans a day. He cuts back by the can when he feels ready. It's hard sometimes, especially at the movies or restaurant.

All I drink now is water, one coffee w creamer a day, & hot tea. I'll have club soda at the restaurant if I'm feeling frisky. lol

Now if I could just give up the beer.
  • Felicias64
    Felicias64 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just stopped drinking it. At work we have a water cooler(one that actually keeps the water ice cold) So I just continuously refill my water bottle while I am working so I don't get thristy. I keep water in the refridgerator at home and I only drink that. I do not buy soda at ALL. I will have unsweet tea (sweetened w/splenda) or green tea sometimes if I go to a restaraunt but that is ONLY on special occasions. I WILL NOT have just one diet soda because I am an addict :) LoL it is just like a drug you can't have just one!!!

I am happy to say I have been soda free for 46 days. Trust me if I can do it YOU can do it!!! Just drink LOTS of water so you don't feel thirsty! So far, I have not flavored water or done anything except just plain water but I have to admit it does start to get a weee bit boring so May get soem Mio or atleast some Lemons or limes to flavor with this week. I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!! YOU CAN LIVE A SODA FREE LIFE!!!!! LoL
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Don't have it in the house.
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Get pregnant :wink:
    I didn't want to feed my unborn children aspartame. When number 3 was born I decided not to drink it again.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Will power - I have stocks of cherry coke, ginger beer (for me), coke and lemonade for mixers and diet coke if anyone is over who prefers it over the full fat stuff but in general - I exercise will power.
    If my cals will let me indulge over the weekend, then great. If not, then that's ok too.
  • kwimpress
    Options
    I was exactly the same, then one day I thought ive got to change my whole eating lifestyle, after trying so many diets. First thing I did was stop drinking diet pepsi/coke. it was a little hard at first, the first couple of days I had only one glass, then none. I kept myself fully hydrated by drinking lots of water and highjuice. I did have headaches for a week, which I put down to withdrawal, unless of course I was ill? But by removing the diet drinks it kind of empowerded me (a little sillyI know, but thats how I felt) and then I joined MFP. My new little step is trying to eat breakfast. I believe in little steps, they make the jouney a little longer but its more successful and long term.Good luck, let me know how you get on. :drinker:
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I went cold trukey.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Now if I could just give up the beer.

Don't say such things! :)
  • smarston2010
    Options
    i was the same way with soda, i cut it back by 1 glass of soda then 4 glasses of water before my next soda. then it was just a soda with my big meal of the day. now i hardly drink soda. only once in a while, if i want the cabonation i go with tonic water with lime, it also works when i'm out with friends at the bar.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just look at it, strange looking stuff fizzing away....why would you want that in your body?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Why get rid of it? Oh yeah...because it's "bad" for you....zomglolz
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    If you really enjoy it, why not try to cut down to one or two a day? Drink it with your dinner or whenever you most like to have it. In moderation it is not terrible for you, despite whatever scary lists may be lurking on the internet.
  • Before my lifestyle change, I was drinking a case of reg soda every day. One day I stopped. It has been horribly hard. But 1 case of soda is 6 lbs. I am at 18 lbs lost. I have lost 3 cases of soda weigh in less then 2 months. Not drinking is a big reason that I am losing weight as fast as I am. The salt and carbonation in soda bloates and makes you puffy. Try it for 1 week and I promise you will see the big difference.