What a diet costs in reality, What do you pay per week?

Options
Whilst the word ‘Diet’ is used to for me to lose weight, unfortunately it does not mean cost savings by far, in fact my shopping bill has risen a little, the obvious benefits are there when on a diet, but for me, it has hit the pocket a little. Here is an example of what it can cost to cover a week ( me only)
Eggs per week £ 8.00
Chicken per week £12.00
Green vegetables per week £15.00
Porridge oats per week £3.00
Milk 8 litres per week £3.50
Vegetables per week £12.00
Fruit per week £10
Yoghurts and other dairy products £14.00
Protein drinks and vitamins per week £25.00
Purchased water £7.00
Purchased snack foods (pasta etc) £15.00
Nuts £6.00
Meats £20.00 per week
Spices, oils and flavorings £10.00

Gym membership £10 per week.

Total costs: £170.00 per week ( $263 Dollars)

This is actually about £40 pounds more than I had spent on a regular diet, but the diet is clean and fresh and has the supplements to help me achieve my goals; I believe the cost above could be substantially saved, and would be really interested anyone can come up with a better price for the above than me...

Or even better, what do you pay for yours?

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have a family of three (teenage son, husband, me) and my grocery bill is roughly £130/week. That's for all of us.

Gym is about £10 a week, same as you. Protein/supplements can get really expensive, depending on what you take....I don't think I take £25/week though. I'd guess about half that, and that's a generous estimate. I try to buy all those sorts of things in bulk if possible. I eat lots of coconut oil, for instance, and I make sure to shop around to try to get the best quality for the best price. Same with whey protein and other supplements.

Obviously you're a big guy--I'm guessing you're eating a lot more than I am as you're bulking up? I eat around 1800cal/day, which I'd think is a bit less than you probably eat.

I don't buy water. I also don't buy snacks, pasta, grains, bread, milk, and rarely buy nuts. I mostly just buy meats (incl. chicken and fish) and veggies, spices, herbs, greek yogurt, and a bit of fruit. I look for deals on stuff (buy one get one free, etc.) and plan menus around that.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    Whilst the word ‘Diet’ is used to for me to lose weight, unfortunately it does not mean cost savings by far, in fact my shopping bill has risen a little, the obvious benefits are there when on a diet, but for me, it has hit the pocket a little. Here is an example of what it can cost to cover a week ( me only)
    Eggs per week £ 8.00
    Chicken per week £12.00
    Green vegetables per week £15.00
    Porridge oats per week £3.00
    Milk 8 litres per week £3.50
    Vegetables per week £12.00
    Fruit per week £10
    Yoghurts and other dairy products £14.00
    Protein drinks and vitamins per week £25.00
    Purchased water £7.00
    Purchased snack foods (pasta etc) £15.00
    Nuts £6.00
    Meats £20.00 per week
    Spices, oils and flavorings £10.00

Gym membership £10 per week.

Total costs: £170.00 per week ( $263 Dollars)

This is actually about £40 pounds more than I had spent on a regular diet, but the diet is clean and fresh and has the supplements to help me achieve my goals; I believe the cost above could be substantially saved, and would be really interested anyone can come up with a better price for the above than me...

Or even better, what do you pay for yours?

I havent done the cost per week and then individualized it - I am the mom and I shop for us all, son 2.5yrs, daughter 4 yrs and myself very active, hubby moderately active and grandma (sedentary)

I shop for fresh, whole foods and belong to a wholesale store called costco-there is a membership fee but it is provided to me free from work.

On average the "grocery" bill comes to around 200 dollars per week

This affords us
    fresh fruit and vegetables to go along with meals and snacks for the duration of the week
    dairy-milk, eggs, yogurts and cheese as needed for meals
    grains-gluten free for me, but rest of family toast, bagels, cereals, baguette ect
    meats- whatever is on the meal plan I make up each week, this week we are having meatballs, ham, roasted chicken, roasted turkey, bacon and a "cheese burger pizza" ala daughters request!

im in Canada, its winter, fresh out of season produce can get expensive, so some veg and fruit I buy frozen (green beans this week!)

I then hit the ailes and grab the staples from there
    -pastas rice, soup base, peanut butter, protein powder, crackers for my kids lunches, ect

The 2 usual big price tag items in my cart are the protein powder and diapers for my son-depending on packaging size those can run nearly 100 dollars on their own.

my tips- Shop early-look at your weekly specials at the stores-you may have to go to a few different stores, look for multi buy items you can free for use later (get a deep freezer!) and buy in bulk if you can- I love plain nautral almonds and the box with 10 sleeves of 100 calorie packs is 11.99 here, but the bulk almonds I can measure out my amount needed and im sure I will get 10 or more servings out of my bag and it only cost me 6.89.

small savings add up
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Luper, nuts are so expensive when or where I buy them... don't know why..and holly, I think your right about seasons, I did not think about that. I am also not a very 'seasoned shopper'.

My supplements are multivitamins, and protein drinks I have allowed £70.00 per month for protein and £30.00 for the multivits = £25.00 per week. My protein drink is expensive probably because I buy it off the shelf as opposed to on-line and I prefer the taste of the drink compared use to other brands
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I agree.... Eating healthier does cost more!

It is a constant balancing act with the grocery budget.

Wishing you continued success in your journey to a healthier you!
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    Options
    Where are you buying your porridge oats - or how much do you eat - to cost £3 a week! We buy Tesco Value oats (they are just oats and perfectly good) and they cost 75p a 1kg bag. My partner and I eat a bowl a day, and we buy a new bag every 1-2 weeks. Cheapest brekkie ever!
  • leaderzzz
    Options
    Where are you buying your porridge oats - or how much do you eat - to cost £3 a week! We buy Tesco Value oats (they are just oats and perfectly good) and they cost 75p a 1kg bag. My partner and I eat a bowl a day, and we buy a new bag every 1-2 weeks. Cheapest brekkie ever!

Hi ya, i use Quakers oats and use just over a box per week... ( i do eat lots)
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=260946145

I will have a look and try the above mentioned by you BBe

I might do a shop later today to get a tillroll cost, whats cheaper Tesco or Sainsburys?... I never freeze anything either..(except icecubes)
  • sarski77
    Options
    How many eggs do you consume per week? £8 sounds a little excessive given that the average 12 free range egg pack is well below £3. Same with yogurts - I guess it depends on the quantities you consume but £14 sounds far too much.

My weekly shop is very different as I tend to eat meat only 2-3 times per week and have plenty of lentils, chickpeas, beans or vegetarian mince on the other days. Plus I never buy bottled water as tap water is pretty good where I live!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Decided it'd be easier to just reply to what you did...

-Eggs per week £ 8.00
    I don't eat eggs.

-Chicken per week £12.00
    2 packs of chicken wings £5
    Chicken Breast £2

-Green vegetables per week £15.00
    £3

-Porridge oats per week £3.00
    £1

-Milk 8 litres per week £3.50
    Can't drink that much milk. £1

-Vegetables per week £12.00
    Covered under green veg

-Fruit per week £10
    £2

-Yoghurts and other dairy products £14.00
    66p

-Protein drinks and vitamins per week £25.00
    0p

-Purchased water £7.00
    0p

-Purchased snack foods (pasta etc) £15.00
    £1

-Nuts £6.00
    £2

-Meats £20.00 per week
    ??? I just eat chicken

-Spices, oils and flavorings £10.00
    £1?

-Gym membership £10 per week.
    Free

-Total costs: £170.00 per week ( $263 Dollars)
    ~£20. Was ~£15 but I'm on a bulk anti-diet so eating about 1000-1500 more than I was when cutting. Bear in mind, I mainly buy Value/Basics/Smart Price goods so even the vegetables have horse protein. Probably. :bigsmile:

Probably save about £10 as I buy much less cider and crisps/biscuits etc than I used to.
  • phil13hirons
    Options
    Great post, alot of people I know spend £100 but then £60 in the pub on a Saturday night so I don't mind £140(ish) and £0 on a Saturday night :)
  • racbergs
    Options
    I have actually found that eating healthier costs me less since I am not buying all of the processed junk from the center of the grocery store. I also shop at Super Walmart which helps immensely! I can feed myself my husband and my 2 year old son on about $80/ week, and that includes lots of fresh produce and the non-food essentials like TP, soap, etc!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    whats cheaper Tesco or Sainsburys

Products vary especially "shop's own" stuff. Eg Tesco cottage cheese is 85p IIRC, Sainsbury's is £1.15. But other stuff might be cheaper or bigger for same price. Just go to what ever gives you the cheapest price overall and isn't far (thinking petrol costs).
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Never added it up, but I think I save money due to eating less and less dinners out.
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    I'm too lazy to figure it all up, but I'm gonna say its lowered my food cost per week. I used to spend like $30 on fast food a week - that is down to $0 (or $10 last week because I bought 2 subs from subway lol). I buy my meat when its marked down and frozen veggies aren't that expensive.
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Are "porridge oats" just oatmeal.. or is it something different.. sorry to not add anything.. but I always wondered what "porridge" is. haha
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    Are "porridge oats" just oatmeal.. or is it something different.. sorry to not add anything.. but I always wondered what "porridge" is. haha

It's the stuff the 3 little bears ate lol...other than that and this place I have never heard anyone say "porridge".
  • princessemmie
    Options
    Wowza, you guys spend a lot on groceries!!!We are a family of three, me my partner and a 14month old, we budget £50 a week on a shop, as we have very little to spend however we eat very healthy. Im a vegetarian, my partner eats meat and my little one eats meat and fish along side a vegetarian meals. I cook everything from scratch, buy "value items" or reduced items from the supermarket and buy from markets, butchers green grocers etc. Only buy fruit and veg in season otherwise you pay huge prices for food that tastes bland. Eat smaller portions, saves a fortune especially on cereals, breads etc. Only drink water and tea, and the odd can of diet pepsi if i really feel the urge. Bulk make foods and fill your freezer, and bulk out your meals, pasta in soups, pearl barley in stews, lentils in everything. Also always make use of your leftovers, eg roast a chicken for the weekend, shred the leftovers for a curry, and boil the bones for soup.:D x
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Our week costs about $78 right now. Family of four on a $60/week budget and $18 for the gym.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Mine is fairly cheap : I spend about $50.00 in Vegetables for 2 weeks, I have Special K breakfast sandwiches 2 weeks is $8.50 a box of Special K cereal is $3.80 1/2 Gallon milk 3.15 I own an elliptical, bowflex extreme, free weights, and my gym membership is free right now because I volunteer there and waking is free unless you count wearing out tennis shoes LOL.
  • leaderzzz
    Options
    I consume between 21-30 eggs per week on average and pay around 1.70 per box 6 ( Budgens happy eggs).
    I have forgot to add coffee ( Carte Noir) to it and i drink at least a pot of it a week ( that does not including starbucks and costa)

I think as I am paying almost double what some pay for a weeks family shop, I do buy from farm shops and they always seem expensive too..

My wife buys for the family< I purchase mine separate. Lol. Her budget is far less than mine.
    I do cook for us both out of my meal budget on occasion too!

Many thanks for the reply's, I am definitely going to take some inherent steps to reduce my costs over the next week..
  • leaderzzz
    Options

It's the stuff the 3 little bears ate lol...other than that and this place I have never heard anyone say "porridge".

Hehe Love it!