Feeling really discouraged weight gain

Options
Ok so I have been on this journey for almost 2 weeks. In the first week I dropped 5 pounds. The second week nothing, and now I seam to be gaining weight. I understand that the scale can fluctuate from day to day but for three days in a row it has been up since last week based on this mornings weigh in I have gained 2 pounds. I'm feeling so down and discouraged and just want to quit and go back to my unhealthy crappy way of life! ughh I just feel like this mountain is far to high and I didn't bring the right equipment. I have been very good with my calories always staying within or just under the calories. I try to eat back some of my exercise calories but I find that hard sometimes because I'm not hungry. Could it be I'm not drinking enough water? to much salt? and it's just water retention,I mean logically spewing I would have had to have eaten 7000 calories more then my body needed to actually have gained 2 pounds and even thou I know calorie counting can be off a bit I'm most defiantly sure I was not off by that much lol.

Any support I can get would be so helpful right now I just feel like quitting!! All the success stories I see are so amazing but in my head I feel like that can never be me and I will just be in the same place next year wanting to loss the same 100 pounds + more. ughhhhhhhhh Dammit I just feel like I SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

ok vent over thanx to anyone who reads/comments and anny suggestions or inspirational thoughts would be much appreciated!!

Happy Saturday everyone!

Replies

• caffeinel
    Options
    For my 1st week, I dropped about 2 pounds, then to my dismay on the second week I gained it all back plus a few more pounds. And I still exercised almost everyday and watched my diet.
    I told myself, THAT'S IT. NO MORE WEIGHING. And boom weeks later when I suddenly felt like weighing myself I actually dropped about 6 pounds :)

The number on the scale isn't that important, if it bothers you, then just decrease the frequency of weighing yourself, definitely not daily, but maybe weekly or even monthly.

Whenever you feel like giving up, ask yourself, a year or two later after giving up, do you want to start again? Knowing that if you didn't give up, you could actually be at your goal weight by now! :D

Small progress is better then no progress. Don't rush it! :)

Keep it going!!
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    how many calories are u eating? if its not enough then you will definitely stall
  • skufahl
    Options
    I hear your pain on the weight gain. I've been on a diet for 30 days. I also lost weight right away (5 lbs), then I stalled, lost a few more and my latest weight showed a gain of 2 lbs. I also think about quitting everyday because I gained weight AND I feel like I"m hungry all the time. But I have noticed some little changes that will help in teh future. Portion control is one. I cook less then I use to because the portions are smaller. I drink more water. I feel better because I exercise and miss when I don't. I use to get winded but now could keep up with the best of them. I started this diet because I was diagnosed with diabetes and out of whack cholesterol that could mean metabolic syndrome. I don't want to take insulin or any more meds. So I have to remind myself its not just the scale I should worry about.

I think my next step is going to be to throw out my scale. It's the source of my frustration., Weight varies everyday and dieting is a long-term thing, not immediate gratification. I wish I could drop the 51, 70 or 121 lbs others lost but not that lucky. At least not yet. We'll see whether there is progress in three months when I go back to the MD.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for two whole years and I don't think I've EVER had two weeks where my weight consistently dropped on a daily basis. If you give up now you will never be able to go into Reports and look back at, say, 3 months, and see that graph gradually lower.

Weight loss is not linear. That is all.
  • poopoomonkey1978
    poopoomonkey1978 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    this is exactly what I was going to post today. I am up 6 lbs in 2 days. I have eaten under my calories just starting working out again this week and am on water pills for blood pressure. I always stay within my sodium levels because I know I have to watch that. I never eat over my calories and am actually usually around 200 under everyday. My workouts are anywhere from 30-60 minutes. It is very frustrating but I keep thinking even if I gain weight at least I know I am healthier. I ran for 7 minutes yesterday and before it was hard to get through 1 minute so ya I am very happy with my progress in that regards just wish there was a way to make the weight match my efforts in eating and working out
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    tumblr_lo9k5j8SE31qhtggqo1_500.jpg

Just keep going. You can't judge your weight loss over such a short amount of time. Stick with the plan and you'll get there!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The first few pounds lost were probably water weight. You should wait a few more weeks to let your body relax into the lifestyle change. Sodium will definately play with your numbers. I know that if I eat a lot of sodium to expect some water retention the next day and to expect the scale to be up. That being said, I do combat it with more water...but I listen to my body and once I start peeing clear/light yellow again I know I am good to go.

Weight loss from day to day is not what you should be focused on. Weight lost isn't linear. It is progress over time, so to judge it on a 2 week basis is only setting yourself up for failure. Weight loss goes up and goes down. What you want is loss over time...meaning a downward trend. You can't get a trend with only two weeks.

Stick with if for a few more weeks and then decide if what you are doing is working or not.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Just keep going. You can't judge your weight loss over such a short amount of time. Stick with the plan and you'll get there!
    This is exactly what I mean in my post!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear...you didn't gain 2 Lbs of fat unless you consumed 7,000 calories above your maintenance level of calories. That means if you're eating what MFP recommends, it's impossible to gain 2 lbs of actual fat because MFP's goal has a substantial deficit built in...

The initial 5 Lbs lost was primarily water...again, 5 lbs of fat would be 3,500 calories x 5 = 17,500 calorie deficit for the week...frankly, you'd be well on your way to being dead if that was the case. Water retention/release plays a huge role in body weight fluctuations...I can easily fluctuate 2-5 Lbs day to day. For example, my scale tells me I lost 2.2 Lbs from yesterday...bull ****...I didn't lose 2.2 Lbs of fat over night...it's mathematically and scientifically impossible. I just released a lot of water I was retaining. i'll be you money I'll bet up tomorrow...and no, it won't be fat.

Two weeks is a drop in the bucket on this journey...you need to buck up...it takes way longer than 2 weeks to really see what kind of progress you're making...make sure you are netting to MFP's established calorie goal...weigh and measure all of your food...log it and do so consistently...Do those things and MFP works.
  • Iamblessed9572
    Options
    My weight fluctuates so much too. I like the idea of not weighing but maybe once a month. That number on the scale really does mess with my head. Actually, maybe 3 months would be better. I'm afraid the number would throw me into depression or binge. Skufahl is right. It is about more than a number. It is about health too. When I attended weight watchers before, we used to celebrate non-scale victories. Like tracking food, making a healthy choice vs a non healthy one, exercising, it is a process. I have to remind myself all the time. You are not alone. Just keep on keeping on.
    Melissa
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    My first week of weight loss, I lost 4 lbs, and then the next week, I had gained 7 (including the ones I had lost). It felt really counter-intuitive and I felt extremely discouraged. However, 2 weeks after that, I was back on track. Now I know not to consume myself with the scale. I would even recommend hiding it so that you dont feel compelled to weigh yourself too often! Especially for the first few weeks, maybe you should only weigh yourself once (rather than every week).

There are many reasons for an increase on the scale:
    1) Water retention
    2) Your muscles holding on to water because of starting a new exercise program
    3) Water/salt balance in your diet
    4) Muscle building
    5) Your body's natural weight fluctuations
    6) etc.

SO the point of this, and like many others have said, weightloss is not linear, and you WILL get there! Just stick to it keep working hard, and hide your scale! It may be a few more days, or even weeks before you see number drop, but in the meantime, you will be doing great things for your body- so don't stop!!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Did you start a workout program?
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you will quit you will only get fat and more depressed.

Never give up, never surrender.

Almost 2 weeks is really short period of time, dont worry about 2lbs, best yet dont weight yourself more often than once a week.

Eat to be healthy, eat to be stronger, dont obsess over results. They follow good habbits you are geting via clean healthy eating.

Eat your healthy calories, dont starve yourself. You'll only get hungry and binge or worse, slow your metabolism down.

Move. Little steps, i lost 50kg/110 lbs mostly on walks and yoga with casual bike riding.Couldnt believe I'll ever do it too and it took me barely 18 months, think much less if i only count the time when I stick to logging and moving. But it took over year, you wont loose more than 8 lbs a week and that borders on unhealthy if you aint very obeese.

Giving up and eating crap will make you way more depressed than not geting the fast results makes you now.

One step at the time, focus on the road rather than destination.

Dont obess.

Be prepaired for months long plateu too. Metabolism is a funky thing but you can outsmart it.:)

Focus on being healthy and happy with yourself /now/. Results will follow by themselfs as long as you WONT GIVE UP

• How do you not let the numbers on the scale brother you cause they do with me? For anyone that needs support I am here I need support I am new at this. Good Luck EVERYONE!!!!!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I totally agree that you shouldn't get discouraged by day to day fluctuations. I started dieting (well cutting out the snacks and unhealthy food really with the help of hypnotherapy) three weeks ago, and have been two weeks on MFP and am consistently below my calorie target. I have weighed myself every day just to keep a record and have lost 6 lbs in the two weeks. My weight sometimes stays static or even goes up day to day but the overall trend is down. I have also lost a small amount on my measurements and can already walk a lot further without getting breathless than I could before, so I know it's working

Stick with it, and good luck!
  • Tash128
    Tash128 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Love this!! This made me laugh and feel so much better because it is true!
  • mfdl1
    mfdl1 Posts: 24
    Options
    hi,its sounds like you exercise every day,i don't think its weight you are putting on,i think its your body turning up more muscle as muscle weighs heavier than fat,take your measurments in inches and you will find that you have lost inches instead of weight,fat turns into muscle.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I wish we all could drop weight regularly.. first month I would only lose a pound every other week..next month was Christmas..You know how that works...LOL

January..2lbs a week basically.. Feb..NOTHING!!!

I am trying to change things up and just be patient..I lost some inches so that's what matters.. just don't give up...
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Like these wonderful people have said, don't let this be the end. One thing I always stress is that you need to measure yourself. You will be amazed at how the scale "lies" about your weight.
  • Tash128
    Tash128 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone,
    I'm feeling much much better!! I worked out and had my hubby hide the scale, He is only going to bring out on weigh day. It's about getting healthy! Not numbers on a scale I will continue no giving up here!!!