So disgusted and upset right now.

Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have tried to work my butt off for a long time now, and I have lost 90 pounds in my efforts. I only have about 20 pounds to get to my "magical" goal weight. Well, I decided to figure out my body fat percentage tonight. I am disgusted to report that my percentage apparently puts me in the OBESE category! WTF???? I'm so upset. I do strength training 2-3x/week (and am beginning to see muscles form), do cardio 4-5x/week, and eat pretty cleanly. What gives?

Replies

• mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Mine says the same thing. Don't get down on yourself, you look great!!!! YOU LOST 90 LBS.!!!!! THAT'S AMAZING!!!! Who cares what those #s say!!!!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Are we talking about your BMI? or your bf %, and if so, how did your test your bodyfat %? There are various ways.
  • Honey from looking at your pic you so do not look obese. From looking at your ticker you are at 155lbs and that is great - for god sakes you lost 90lbs - that is HUGE!! I wouldn't pay attention to those so called charts. Be proud of your achievment up till now because dang girl - 90lbs is pretty darn impressive!! You keep up the great work and widdle away those last 20lbs! I wish you the very best & congrats on losing those 90lbs!!
  • Amy_B
    Thanks, everyone!

I figured out body fat % based on a formula a personal trainer friend of mine gave me and compared it to online calculators (using measurements such as height, age, waist, hips, and neck).
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Casper posted this in another thread. Thanks Casper

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

See how these formulas fit with your other calculation.
    The end result, shouldn't matter, as others said, you've come a long way, and losing 90lbs is awesome. Don't forget that.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    You are doing awesome! How do you feel over all? That is what matters not some number. Keep doing what you are doing you will get there! Hugs!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Thanks, everyone!

I figured out body fat % based on a formula a personal trainer friend of mine gave me and compared it to online calculators (using measurements such as height, age, waist, hips, and neck).

They aren't accurate. Ignore them.

The most accurate way to calculate your body fat % is through a DEXA scan. Second most accurate is a dunk tank. Calipers can be very accurate used by someone who knows what they are doing but very inaccurate if they don't. Bio-impedance -- what the scales use -- can be reasonable but some scales are consistently off. I have one scale that measure pretty high and one that is reasonable but tends to run low. But they are consistent so can be used to see if my body fat % is going up or down, at least.

I had my body fat percentage done via the dunk tank method. It was 18.1%. But the online formulas all have my body fat % much higher and one had it as high as 34%!! Anyone looking at me can see I don't have a lot of body fat and definitely not anywhere near 34%!
  • Hey, hey! Wait a minute! You look fabulous! Enjoy that and stop trying to conform your body to some chart! It's not like you came this far to quit, so just keep the weight off. Keep toning and your body will adjust naturally. Way to go! You're amazing!
  • Amy_B
    Thanks, everyone! I feel much better now (both mentally and physically). That's what truly matters. :smile:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    You also have to think about extra skin that you might have (b/c you've lost 90 lbs!!!!) so that can throw it off. I say unless you have it professionally measured, I wouldn't put much value in the calculation by equation. People's bodies are so different and can't be reduced to mathematics. I did a hip-to-waist measurement recently and it said I have a pear shape and have a really increased risk for cardiovascular disease. I don't believe that for a minute.

Congrats on the 90!!! You look awesome, don't let some dumb equation get you down! :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Online calculators aren't going to be as accurate as something you hold or a skin test because it's only factoring in a few things...versus ones that actually physically test you which factor in your lean muscle mass. So don't worry about it! Even if you are considered "obese", I'm sure you're not far off from being "overweight". I'm 5'4" and at 180 was considered obese... now I'm 163 and still "overweight" based on my body fat % and BMI, but only because I've been working out and building lean muscle mass. Just keep working at it!!

Feeling and being healthy is sooo much more important than numbers.
This discussion has been closed.