Rest days between lifting

Options
So, I've started lifting heavy. No, it wouldn't be heavy by many peoples standards, and with my arthritis it may never be, but I do 3-4 sets of 8 reps of what feels like the most I can possibly do, and I HURT the next day no matter how much I stretch. To me, that's what I consider "lifting heavy", tell me if you disagree.

Anyway, back the first time I lost a lot of weight I read a lot about rest days in between weight lifting days. I've always gone with this methodology, but with how often things change in the 'fitness world', it's worth getting new opinions a few years later.
1) How accurate is it that your body needs a rest day between working a group of muscles substantially?
2) If you do, how long is a "rest day"; ie if I do legs on Thursday morning at 5am, can I go back and do them Friday night at 7pm, is that sufficient rest?
3) If you could be kind enough to share, what's your routine? :)

Replies

• ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well, the hurting your feel, it it's muscular and not joint or ligament related is normal when you 1st start lifting. However, as muscle endurance and strength improves, your muscles become better adapt and removing the toxins that cause soreness. Not having soreness the next day does not mean you did not get a work out. Your muscles are just better at removing the toxins. However, you should feel the burn while lifting. I have been lifting for about 45 days now and I hardly have any soreness. Even when I increase the weight. But I feel it while I am lifting that's for sure!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    To get the most bang for your buck, do full body compound lifts 3x weekly. i.e. squats, deadlifts, bench, oh press, barbell rows. Look into New Rules of Lifting For Women...Rest days are important to let your muscles repair...that's what actually builds the muscle (tones you up)...the lifting is just the catalyst.

When you do those lifts, it's a full body workout...it would look something like this;

Wkout A:
    Squats
    OH Press
    Deadlifts

Wkout B:
    Squats
    Bench
    Barbell Rows

There is little point to accessory and isolation work for the beginner...focus on that core workout for awhile. Alternate between A & B 3x weekly...so you'll have 4 rest days per week where you could focus on some aerobic cardio 3 days and recovery cardio 2-3 days.

You can workout every day if you're working different muscles/groups on those days...you should not work the same muscle/group back to back, you're defeating the whole purpose by doing so.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    To get the most bang for your buck, do full body compound lifts 3x weekly. i.e. squats, deadlifts, bench, oh press, barbell rows. Look into New Rules of Lifting For Women...Rest days are important to let your muscles repair...that's what actually builds the muscle (tones you up)...the lifting is just the catalyst.

When you do those lifts, it's a full body workout...it would look something like this;

Wkout A:
    Squats
    OH Press
    Deadlifts

Wkout B:
    Squats
    Bench
    Barbell Rows

There is little point to accessory and isolation work for the beginner...focus on that core workout for awhile. Alternate between A & B 3x weekly...so you'll have 4 rest days per week where you could focus on some aerobic cardio 3 days and recovery cardio 2-3 days.

You can workout every day if you're working different muscles/groups on those days...you should not work the same muscle/group back to back, you're defeating the whole purpose by doing so.
    Thanks for your reply, This is basically how I saw it but want confirmation. Can't wait until I can do free weights but doctor has not recommended it yet until I re-strengthen from the arthritis.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Wkout A:
    Squats
    OH Press
    Deadlifts

Wkout B:
    Squats
    Bench
    Barbell Rows

This was what I was going to say.
    ;D
  • sidewinder76
    Options
    My program hits different muscle groups and allows for 2 days rest between. There is some crossover with the exercises that I do, but it works for me..

Mondays and Thursdays : Chest and back
    Tuesdays and Fridays : Arms and Abs
    Wed and Sat : Legs and Cardio

To Avoid plateau effect and boredom, I try and vary exercises that I'm doing for the target group

Happy Lifting!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Strive to get 48 hours of rest between working the same muscle groups on most beginner programs