I'm so awkward at the gym... rest periods.

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    I predict that within one month you will be utilising your 90 sec rest :wink:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I predict that within one month you will be utilising your 90 sec rest :wink:

It varies from person to person, as I said. Hell, even when we are working at 90% of 1RM, the wife and I never really rest longer than it takes us to switch the weights to my lift from her's, and vice versa. We even have a 'hand signal' that we'll make at each other if we putz around instead of pulling the set...said hand signal looks strangely like a vagina. :wink:

I suppose it really just depends upon one's view on the gym. We are there to work, not hang around. If we have something to say to each other, it can easily be done while switching weights. As for the OP, the only time we really 'notice' the rests that anyone else is taking is when they are the kind of people who spend more time talking than lifting, and leave their bar loaded while they walk halfway to the other side of the gym to talk to someone, then get butthurt when they come back and someone has stripped their **** and started using it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Depends on the goals. There are plenty of times where I "feel" like I could make my next set with 90secs rest but if I go for the set I definitely don't feel like I'm fully recovered. For a max effort set, it can take up to 5-8mins to fully recover.

If your goal is to do the most work in minimal time then lower rest periods are obviously a great idea but if you goal is to get as strong as possible then take the rest breaks as required.
  • When you're a female your gonna get looked at period but only because there are less females in he weight area compared to the number of men. Who knows...People may be thinking, "Wow, I wish I could be like her." But as many have said....they're not looking at you. If they've noticed that you're just standing there, then what are they doing with themselves if they have enough time to notice you "standing around". Sometimes staring back does help. They'll quickly get uncomfortable and look away. :))
  • When I go to the gym - the LAST thing I worry or think about is other people (unless something outrageous or extremely inappropriate occurs). I put on my headphones and just go into my own world. It seems to me like other gym customers are in their own worlds too.

So, don't worry about other people. Who cares what they think.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    So, that's OK... everyone is at different fitness levels.

Just focus on you and making sure your form is good.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    This is what people at the gym are doing when Im not looking.

can-i-have-your-number-o.gif

I know because thats what I do when they are not looking.

:laugh: Just messing around. Just catch your breath, find a good song, and go when you are ready. I dont have a stopwatch but I know on some of my heavy lifting days I take a few minutes to recover. The warm up sets and additional lifting I just go by how I feel.
  • xUnseenx
    xUnseenx Posts: 7 Member

Anyways, if I don't really need the whole 90 seconds, can I reduce it?

depends on what your goals are. in my experience, longer waits in between sets are for ATP/CP restoration (typically for those looking to maximize power and strength within sets). now that im older, my focus is not bulking up, but leaning out. i give myself 30 second rest in order to keep my heart rate up and relying on oxidative energy (which uses fat as energy). hope this helps.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I make it a game.

- I count the number of cardio bunnies on the treadmill, each equal 5 points but count double if the wear a lululemon outfit and have a ponytail.

- if there is a bro curling in the squat rack I add 10 points ....15 if he is grunting.

I add 50 points if I am not the only girl in the free weight area

Subtract 5 points when I lift more than a guy .....and if the guy has horrible form, I lol at him

When I get to 100 points I start a new serie while feeling superior.

Kidding. I just sit down and try to have enough energy to do the next serie
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Tap dance during the rest periods.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    I totally felt like this this morning. Only started stronglifts today so yes, started light and felt silly standing around so I did a few extra sets - realise i won't be doing this when I start heavier.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    They probably aren't noticing what you are doing cause they are busy doing their own workout.

Im betting Im looking more of a silly billy than you cause I pace during some of my resting periods lol
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Just a thought - spend that time stretching. That's what I do during my rest periods!! And, if you're worried about looking awkward, it definitely gives you something to do. Personally I don't care how I look - I just like stretching!

Thank you. I have no idea how I didn't think of this before lol. *headdesk* And I don't mean to discourage the OP (it could be because I go to the local gym of my very small hometown, where everybody gets in everybody else's business), but I DO get a bit of snark from the other gym-goers. Especially when the instructor for the MRT class comes over to spot me during my squats and the whole class is on their 2-minute break between circuits. I see the catty newcomers whispering behind their hands. I just work that barbell harder. Nertz to them! I'll be the one coming out on top in the end! ;P
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    The longer you go, the less awkward you will feel.

I used to feel very nervous, and now I don't... i do my thing, smile at some familiar faces, and have even worked in with someone.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    If you're a lifter you understand rest periods. If you don't understand you're not a lifter.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    If you're a lifter you understand rest periods. If you don't understand you're not a lifter.

Because there is only one way to be a " twue" lifter?
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member

Wow, great way to demorolise a beginner at lifting. Everyone has a little awkwardness at something new.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member

Wow, great way to demorolise a beginner at lifting. Everyone has a little awkwardness at something new.

What I was trying to say was. If the people around the O.P. do not understand why they are waiting in between sets? The other people not the O.P. are the ones that are doing it wrong.

Next time I will try to be more clear.:flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

that's not the impression i got from what he said at all. The OP is worried about what other people think when she is resting. Dino is letting her know that all the other lifters in the gym know that resting between sets is what she's SUPPOSED to be doing, not stretching or anything. He's letting the OP know that no one is thinking ill of her and she should put her worries to rest and concentrate on her workout.

And if someone in the gym does have a problem with her resting 2 mins between sets, they don't know what the hell they are doing so don't worry about what they think.

That's how I took it, anyway
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

that's not the impression i got from what he said at all. The OP is worried about what other people think when she is resting. Dino is letting her know that all the other lifters in the gym know that resting between sets is what she's SUPPOSED to be doing, not stretching or anything. He's letting the OP know that no one is thinking ill of her and she should put her worries to rest and concentrate on her workout.

And if someone in the gym does have a problem with her resting 2 mins between sets, they don't know what the hell they are doing so don't worry about what they think.

That's how I took it, anyway

Yup, that's how I took it too. Also, maybe I just an insensitive b*stard but I could care less what people at the gym think about what I'm doing. I'm there for me not for them and if they don't like my routine or my between sets rest, tough toenais!! They should go get their own life and stop trying to get all up in mine.