210 to 170 and 13% body fat..

Replies

• Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,078 Member
    Congrats
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Congratulations on being cancer free and for your transformation success! Keep that up!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Congratulations on 8 years of being cancer free!!!!!!!!!

Oh, you also look fantastic. Congratulations on the success. You're amazing and an inspiration.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Congrats on the success!!!!!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Amazing!!
    You look fantastic!

So happy to hear of your health as well!!

Keep up the determination!
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Very well done! I give u my respect,but I gotta say as one who has been trying to build muscle while under 10%bf it has been a challange but I know u can do it.
  • keola64
    I told myself I would not do this, but what the hell. I guess my journey is a little different then most on MFP because by the time I joined MFP I had already been dieting/working on for about six years....but wanted to use this to take me to next level...

So the first pic of me in blue cut off is seven years ago about a month after having done six months of chemo and a month of radiation from having Hodgkin's lymphoma. Having cancer will make you realize that you need to make serious life style changes. So that is me seven years ago ..chunky out of shape kid ...Ughhhhhhhhh LOL

763f1bac-f276-4bed-b997-1cdbd5002218_zps1a695bb4.jpg

Sooo I started eating right and working out with weights three days a week and running about three miles on non weight days. I dropped down to about 180-185# and probably 18 to 20% body fat...see below...

100_0215_zps394fcfe2.jpg

Not bad, right? Then I really got serious, and actually joined a gym, and built a program around squats, deadlifting, weighted pull ups and chinups, overhead press, etc. Starting counting calories and keeping track of macros. Also starting doing IF (this was about five months ago).

And tada :) am now about 173# and 13% bodyfat.

2aa99b87-28df-4a0c-8d1d-b7b0d1bfb4fb_zpsfc09f975.jpg

My next goal is to get down to 10% body fat for beach season. Once I accomplish that I am going to put a slab of muscle on top of that!

Things that I have learned over the past seven years. Don't worry about six small meals a day, or meal timing or any of that. Eat when you are hungry and make sure that you get right amount of carbs/fats/protein.

If you want to lose weight eat in a deficit and work out. If you are going to work out build a program around deadlifts, bench press, squatting, overhead press, chinups/pull ups etc....Cardio is good when you are fist losing weight but once you get your body fat% down, I would almost ditch it entirely. I probably do about one HIIT session a week sometimes two but that is about it on cardio. For beginners a total body workout three days a week with cardio on off days should really work well for first six months.

Remember for any change that you make, it takes your body four to six weeks to adapt to it.

Final two points and I believe these are most important...It is a marathon not a sprint. It took a while for that out of shape fat kid in the first picture to get t o the last picture..so don't get discouraged. AND it is not a diet it is a lifestyle change. You want to change your lifestyle so that when you put in all that hard work to melt the fat off that you keep it off and can reach different goals from there....

Oh and at last DR check I am cancer free for eight years now!

Good Luck to all you of you out there....!

oh hopefully I posted the pictures right LOL
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Very well done! I give u my respect,but I gotta say as one who has been trying to build muscle while under 10%bf it has been a challange but I know u can do it.

thanks bro..!

well i first need to get to 10% body fat ....then I will go for the muscle...:)
  • keola64
    You should never ditch cardio , you need calories to build muscle but you need cardio days to balance out,with muscle gain and increased calories will come with some fat gain unless you circuit train which incorporates muscle and cardio ,to keep at a 10% or under bf range cardio is essential. I have lost weight and got down to 6%bf and over thaw past few years have learned that while bulking it is a slow process while trying to keep lean. Just start lifting now and incorporate cardio as well just don't rule out cardio assuming that once you've hit you bf% goal that it will stay that low because without some form of cardio you WILL gain fat and have to cut again,some people prefer to bulk dirty and cut but again the cutting process involves CARDIO! lean bulking is a slower process so choose your method wisely and what you think will work best for you mentally and physically. Aloha Keola
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    *nvmd - success thread...
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    So so so inspiring! thank-you for posting this awesome account of your journey! And congratulations on your success! Keep us posted on how you are doing in the future./Cindy
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    wow great job!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Well done!!! You look, and likely feel, awesome!!
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Awesome! Congratulations on your journey back to health and fitness. No doubt in my mind you'll hit your fitness goal.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    I told myself I would not do this, but what the hell.

I'm glad you did. Seeing posts like this is what puts an extra 'step in my rep' at the gym. Congrats man, way to put in the effort!
  • Color me inspired. You look amazing. So happy for your health and success! :flowerforyou:
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    :drinker:
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Congratulations!! You did one hell of a job there
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Congrats from one survivor to another. You look amazing bro.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Really fantastic post- congrats, you are totally awesome and unstoppable!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!