Periodization Lifting??

Options
Hi,

I'm just about to start my final stage of New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I'm trying to find a new routine/lifting regimen to begin after I complete it. I've heard many recommendations on MFP for Stronglifts 5x5, and I've also heard good things about Starting Strength. I talked to the owner of my gym (he's really into old school lifting), and he recommended Periodization. His explanation of it was a little confusing for me, but from what I understood, it is a cyclical routine where you lift your max and then lift percentages of that max until you can increase your max (I may have completely misunderstood him, so please correct me if I'm wrong). I did a pretty cursory google search of Periodization and found some die hards that love it and also quite a few that think it is an outdated method for strength training.

I'm not trying to become a fitness model or body builder or pro weight lifter; I'd just like to be strong and healthy. I don't have a specific weight goal in mind, but I would like to be back under 140 (currently 158). I'm not sure of my body fat percentage, but I'm fairly sure it has improved since I began NROLFW.

So, Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or Periodization? Or perhaps another routine I'm not familiar with? Periodization seems a little complicated to me, but I'm willing to figure it out if it's a good way to go.

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Periodization is not a routine. It is a way to cycle your training parameters(load, intensity, volume etc.). You can periodize any routine.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Periodization is not a routine. It is a way to cycle your training parameters(load, intensity, volume etc.). You can periodize any routine.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I really wasn't sure that I understood what he was telling me. Can you recommend a routine for someone who's at a solid advanced beginner level of lifting? Also, do you recommend using periodization for said routine?