CONFUSED WITH MY OATMEAL!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Cooking oatmeal in water has no effect on the calorie content. What could effect your measurements are your cooking techniques and your measuring cups. Do you have a food scale? If not, I would recommend investing in one. You can get "the biggest loser" brand for a little under 20 bucks, and it works very well.

The reason for the food scale is that it is far more accurate than measuring cups. My 3/4 measuring cup should measure out 60 grams of rolled oats. Instead, it measures out 70. That's an extra 40 calories.

Cooking also makes it difficult to log, because cooking has such a range of effects on the food. How long you cook it, how much water you use, and other factors can effect the density of your oats. A portion of oats cooked in 1/2 cup of water is going to weigh less than a portion of oats cooked in 3/4 cup water, even if the dry weight is the same.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Ok. Part of the issue with trying to come up with the cooked calories is that it depends how you make it. If you like it more wet = less calories.
    Really more wet is less calories? I disagree. I don't think adding something with no calories, changes the amount of calories in any way.

Yes I think more wet is less calories when you take the same volume. So half a cup of very wet and runny oatmeal is less calories than half a cup of very thick stogy oatmeal. But overall volume is key.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i log mine uncooked. i use 1/2 cup plain quick oats, cook them in 1 cup water and then mix in tasty things like pb2, syrup, chcolate protein powder, applesauce and cinnamon, etc. the oats i use are 140 cals per 1/2 cup serving. easy peasy.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    If I ate half the usual amount, I'd go back to the original dry measures and put 0.5 instead of 1.
    this
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Try entering all the ingredients into the recipe maker as one serving then decide how much you ate ( 1/2, 1/3 etc) of the serving. Then enter that into your diary.

this
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Nobodies gettin me Oatmeal Crisp.....but you wouldn't like it !!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to see how this ends! *sits on edge of seat, eagerly*