Using the Bike machine

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok. So I want to start adding to my cardio workout. I do 30 mins of the arc trainer(almost like an eliptical) and I want to do 30 minutes of something else. I was thinking the bycicle. But I feel like that's not really getting a good workout. I think it's the fact that your sitting down. I feel like it would only be a workout for your legs and i want to loose weight everywhere.

Is the bycicle a good cardio workout to loose weight?

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Well, remember that you are always going to be losing weight from everywhere. But I think you are right, bicycling isn't quite as hefty of a cardio workout as running (just minute for minute calories burned). However, the key to burning calories is duration and intensity. I can bike a LOT longer and harder than I can run. My legs, hips and feet start to scream at me from running so it just doesn't tend to be a cardio workout that I can stick with (unfortunately), so spin classes have been better options for me in the past because, even though it can take longer to burn the same number of calories, I will actually DO the spinning when I probably would have phoned in a treadmill workout. Try lots of different things! No need to do the same things every day--in fact it is better to do different things if you can. Also, to up the intensity, do high intensity interval training instead of just biking at the same intensity for 30 minutes.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Well, I take a 60-min spin class (stationary bike) every Saturday morning and I burned tons of calories. At my weight and at the duration of the class I burn around 1000 calories. I don't know if the bike (like the one I see people on at my gym) will provide the same type of workout since the spin class is much more intense...we are up and down constantly, running, 2 and 4 count jumps, sprints...it's awesome.

I say try a spin class.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Well, I take a 60-min spin class (stationary bike) every Saturday morning and I burned tons of calories. At my weight and at the duration of the class I burn around 1000 calories. I don't know if the bike (like the one I see people on at my gym) will provide the same type of workout since the spin class is much more intense...we are up and down constantly, running, 2 and 4 count jumps, sprints...it's awesome.

I say try a spin class.

Ditto. I love spin classes, but don't so much love the stationary bikes that are usually by the treadmills. Those ones don't feel nearly as much like actual biking.

You could also actually biking outside. Just in time for spring/summer! Try to the stair machine (don't lean on the machine with your arms) and the rowing machines too!
  • Oompa_Loompa

I say try a spin class.

Ditto. I love spin classes, but don't so much love the stationary bikes that are usually by the treadmills. Those ones don't feel nearly as much like actual biking.

You could also actually biking outside. Just in time for spring/summer! Try to the stair machine (don't lean on the machine with your arms) and the rowing machines too!

The stair machines scare me lol, The ones at the gym are so high up. But I think its time to face my fear.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    I have a large number of physical issues that prevented me from running, aerobics, dance, etc... So, when I realized I needed to start an exercise regimen, I decided to get an exercise bike. On top of that, we got a recumbent exercise bike. So, as far as your concerns, I am using what you might fear as being the least effective cardio there is.

Let's break it down... I have lost almost 30 pounds using the exercise bike. I burn plenty of calories. I get a good sweat on. I get to the point where I cannot hold a conversation. I have increased my cardio capacity.

I have used an elliptical (which I liked). As a comparison, the eliptical got my sweat on much quicker than the exercise bike, and since your not sitting, it isn't quite as monotonous. My use of the eliptical was before I got my HRM, so I can't really give you a good comparison as far as calorie burn goes.

My wife and I started walking in February. In fact we just walked our first 5k last Saturday. I burn many more calories on the exercise bike than I do walking, minute for minute. Actually, I just looked and I burn between 1 and 5 calories per minute more on the exercise bike than walking.

The exercise bike seems to be easier on my lungs than running. I am just now getting to where I can start to run. But my lungs burn before I am fatiqued physically. The exercise bike allows me to exercise to muscle fatigue.

My exercise bike has 20 resistance levels, and different programs. However, I use the manual mode, set it on a set resistance level, and ride until I can't go no further. When I first got it, I found I hated it because I was using the programs, and they made me hurt. But then I was just an out of shape bucket of gravy.:laugh:

My final advice is look at the calorie burn in comparison. When I was looking at the exercise bikes, I checked a few different sources and found the exercise bike burns calories comparable to other exercises. Remember, it is a matter of one thing only... getting your heart rate up. The method doesn't matter... it is just a matter of how hard you work.
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    The bike is about the only machine that I am currently using at the gym. I burn more calories in the same amount of time biking than I do on the treadmill, and am just plain skert of the eliptical.
  • I think it's always a good thing to mix things up. I try to do something different on the days that I'm not running. Different activities use different muscles and although you aren't burning as many calories, your body can acclimatize (sp?) to one activity if you do it all the time and you won't burn as efficiently as you would mixing it up a bit. So a bike might not burn as many calories, but I've noticed that it does work to get up a sweat. I can run 10 miles easy, but I can't bike for more than 30 minutes without getting winded and my legs burning. I've acclimatized to running, so I'm trying to do circuts on the days that I don't to keep all my muscles and joints working. Hope that helps.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    I have a large number of physical issues that prevented me from running, aerobics, dance, etc... So, when I realized I needed to start an exercise regimen, I decided to get an exercise bike. On top of that, we got a recumbent exercise bike. So, as far as your concerns, I am using what you might fear as being the least effective cardio there is.

Let's break it down... I have lost almost 30 pounds using the exercise bike. I burn plenty of calories. I get a good sweat on. I get to the point where I cannot hold a conversation. I have increased my cardio capacity.

I have used an elliptical (which I liked). As a comparison, the eliptical got my sweat on much quicker than the exercise bike, and since your not sitting, it isn't quite as monotonous. My use of the eliptical was before I got my HRM, so I can't really give you a good comparison as far as calorie burn goes.

My wife and I started walking in February. In fact we just walked our first 5k last Saturday. I burn many more calories on the exercise bike than I do walking, minute for minute. Actually, I just looked and I burn between 1 and 5 calories per minute more on the exercise bike than walking.

The exercise bike seems to be easier on my lungs than running. I am just now getting to where I can start to run. But my lungs burn before I am fatiqued physically. The exercise bike allows me to exercise to muscle fatigue.

My exercise bike has 20 resistance levels, and different programs. However, I use the manual mode, set it on a set resistance level, and ride until I can't go no further. When I first got it, I found I hated it because I was using the programs, and they made me hurt. But then I was just an out of shape bucket of gravy.:laugh:

My final advice is look at the calorie burn in comparison. When I was looking at the exercise bikes, I checked a few different sources and found the exercise bike burns calories comparable to other exercises. Remember, it is a matter of one thing only... getting your heart rate up. The method doesn't matter... it is just a matter of how hard you work.

Wow thanks so much. Then I think i will start adding the bike to my cardio!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Don't be scared of the StairMaster, it's a much better workout than the bike. I turn to the bike when I'm sick and am looking for an easier machine to use. It really depends on your level of fitness though, but with hills intervals and a resistance level of 15 (out of 20) I only burn a max of 6 calories an hour on the bike. Any exercise is good exercise, but I feel there are much better machines. ArcTrainer and StairMaster are my usual. I sometimes do the elliptical, but the Arc is much better, especially on your knees.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Using a stationary bike is one of my favorite cardio exercises
  • I love my bike. When I feel like watching a movie, I get on the bike for the first half of the movie and then do light weights and/or Pillates or yoga. I can also hop on and burn off extra calories from overdoing it occasionally. I definitely think it needs to be used in addition to other equipment and methods, but I would say the same for anything. You need to keep your body moving dynamically for maximum strength.
This discussion has been closed.